Stability Running Shoes For A Tall Woman w/Narrow Foot

Old October 26th 05, 10:03 PM
joyrosem

Default Stability Running Shoes For A Tall Woman w/Narrow Foot

Hi, I hope my note finds everyone doing well and I hope you can be of
assistance. Please bear with me.

First, here are some stats: I am 30 years old, 6 feet tall, and about
138 pounds, give or take a donut. I usually run 3 times a week, with
races on the weekend and no more than 40 miles total. One of my runs
during the week is usually long, starting with a 8-10 miler at the
beginning of the month and usually culminating in a 17-20 miler by
month's end. (I like running so much I'd put in a 20-miler just for
kicks, even when I didn't have a marathon to train for). I am a veteran
of 15 marathons, all run for charity, and I guess I'm what they call a
"mid-pack" runner (PR of 4:15, average marathon time between
4:30-4:45). I have a long, narrow foot (women's size 11 in regular
shoes, women's size 13 in running shoes) and I over-pronate. Since most
women's running shoes don't come larger then a 12 and they are cut a
size too small (a 12 fits like an 11) I have always run in men's
shoes. For years I ran in a men's size 11 Asics Gel Kayano, back when
they were named after the season and year instead of a number. They
were perfect for me straight out of the box; they didn't even need a
break-in period. The last time they made a model I could run in was the
Fall 2000 model.

In Spring 2001 they came out with a brand new design and it was like
night and day. It was now cut too wide for my foot. I was stricken! I
wrote Asics and complained. Admittedly, they were very kind and sent me
several pairs of shoe to try for FREE. The problem was none of them had
the old Kayano fit (too wide or not enough support). I got on-line and
bought up every pair of the old style I could find.

Well, that was 4 years ago and as of last autumn I had used up my last
good pair. So I began experimenting; I tried any support or stability
shoe I could find in a men's narrow or women's size 13. Sadly, the
results have been disastrous. Unable to find the right shoe, I've had
one injury after another, mostly in my right foot. I call my right foot
"Goldilocks" because where running shoes are concerned, everything has
got to be **just right.** I found motion control shoes to be too much,
but stability shoes were just fine. I need a nice snug fit through the
heel and instep, no over pronation, and beefy cushioning in the
forefoot.

Alas, most of the shoes I tried purported to be the ultimate in their
line for support and cushioning, but I found that they would generally
have one, but not the other. In most cases, any shoe that was narrow
enough and had good support, went flat too quickly or the ride was very
hard and I literally felt like I was pounding the pavement. Others had
good cushioning, but didn't stop my over pronation.

Since September of 2004 through September 2005 I have tried a plethora
of shoes. (Don't be alarmed by the following list; I am a VIP member
with Road Runner Sports and so I get to run in the shoes for a month
and send them back for a full refund if they don't work): New Balance
1221 (GREAT support, but zero forefoot cushioning, like running on a
rock) and New Balance 991 (nice cushioning but didn't stop my over
pronation), Mizuno Wave Nirvana (good support, very hard ride), Brooks
Adrenaline GTS 5 and Saucony 3D Grid Hurricane 7 (both were too wide,
my foot kept turning over), Asics GT 2100 (They make this in a men's
11B narrow and it was lovely, fit like a glove, but the forefoot
cushioning went dead after only a few months) Adidas Supernova Classic
(nice narrow fit, not enough forefoot cushion), Mizuno Wave Alchemy
(ride is too hard), Gel Kayano XI (I the latest version bought because
some runners reviewed it as being cut a bit narrow, so I thought I
would give it a try. They worked all right for a few short races and
runs, but ultimately were too wide for runs above 13 miles), and most
recently I tried Asics Gel Fortitude (stable shoe, alas, also too
wide).

As aforementioned, the result of running in shoes that don't fit have
been these injuries: tendonitis in my right ankle, tendonitis in my
right big toe, 2nd metatarsal pain on my right foot, pain in both knees
and the latest is my right achilles tendon which blew up like a balloon
after my last 20-miler on October 4th. Since July I've seen an
orthopaedic doctor who sent me to physical therapy, and also to another
doc who made me orthotics (the orthotics didn't work; they feel like
cement in my shoe).

To quote Gwen Stefani "I'm just a girl...and I'VE HAD IT UP TO HERE!"
Also, "This S#@* is BANANAS!" The NYC marathon is in a week and half
and I am now officially too darn injured to run it. I am despondent and
****ED OFF.

I cannot possibly be the only tall female runner with a long narrow
foot! Why on earth don't more of these companies make stability shoes
(heck, any shoe) for a girl with long feet??? And so the upshot of my
long missive is this: Is there anyone out there that shares my problem
and have you found a solution? Please chime in, even if you're a guy
who wears a men's narrow, B size. I can't believe my running days are
over because I can't find a darn shoe.

Thanks for your patience and I look forward to your replies. My kindest
regards, JoyRoseM

Old October 26th 05, 10:28 PM
My name is Earl

On 26 Oct 2005 14:03:55 -0700, "joyrosem" wrote:

Hi, I hope my note finds everyone doing well and I hope you can be of
assistance. Please bear with me.

First, here are some stats: I am 30 years old, 6 feet tall, and about
138 pounds, give or take a donut. I usually run 3 times a week, with

snipped for brevity

Well, I'm not sure what the question was by the time I read all that
LOL. But if it was shoes, I think you can keep trying the various
models of shoes, because as you've noticed, they change more often
than I change socks. Speaking of which, have you tried thicker socks?
Or two pairs? Or how about running off the pavement in the shoes that
did fit you, but didn't have the cushioing you expected? Personally I
thnk cushioning is highly overrated. Keep running in them, and if they
don't cause problems, that maybe the best you'll be able to get. There
IS a shoe out there for you, so keep trying.
Short of that, I think we need naked pics to help you any further LOL.
Old October 26th 05, 10:46 PM
joyrosem

Thanks for your reply! I've found out the hard way (pun unintended)
that good cushioning is crucial for me. Admittedly, running in NYC may
be part of the problem. I'm not sure these brands which say they are
the "ultimate" in cushioning and stability are road tested on
concrete/pavement. Very often, all of my runs are on pavement and
sidewalks (Central Park, and sometimes other long runs from the city to
Brooklyn or NJ with my running group, NYC Galloway). I don't know of
too many off-road/soft surface options except the reservoir and bridle
path in Central Park, and those would only be good for short runs. I'm
open to suggestions on shoe options and other long run areas in NYC.

Old October 26th 05, 11:17 PM
My name is Earl

On 26 Oct 2005 14:46:45 -0700, "joyrosem" wrote:

Thanks for your reply! I've found out the hard way (pun unintended)
that good cushioning is crucial for me.

Ok, since you didn't state that clearly, I wasn't sure.

dmittedly, running in NYC may
be part of the problem.

It sure would be for me LOL

I'm not sure these brands which say they are
the "ultimate" in cushioning and stability are road tested on
concrete/pavement.

Well I've learned from experience that the way the shoe feels on my
foot (cushioned, or like there's none) doesn't always translate to how
well it protects me from injurys. I have been running in the Asics
2000 series for years now, and as they change them, some feel
cushioned, and some don't, however I've never had an injury from them.
Perception is everything.

Very often, all of my runs are on pavement and
sidewalks (Central Park, and sometimes other long runs from the city to
Brooklyn or NJ with my running group, NYC Galloway). I don't know of
too many off-road/soft surface options except the reservoir and bridle
path in Central Park, and those would only be good for short runs. I'm
open to suggestions on shoe options and other long run areas in NYC.

There's several people here from that armpit of a city, so I'm sure
you'll get plenty of advice on new routes to help get you off the
pavement.
Good luck
Old October 26th 05, 11:31 PM
Doug Freese

"joyrosem" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Of the list above it seems the 2100 at least fits your needs albeit
failes on the longevity. I can't help with a ideal shoe and maybe others
will offer some models but in the mean time, won't the 2100's be a
temporary solution?
-DougF

Old October 26th 05, 11:35 PM
Charlie Pendejo

joyrosem wrote:
I've found out the hard way (pun unintended) that good cushioning
is crucial for me.

You didn't mention trying aftermarket inserts to add cushioning - have
you? I've no experience with them, just know that at least some people
seem to find them helpful.

I don't know of too many off-road/soft surface options except the
reservoir and bridle path in Central Park, and those would only be
good for short runs.

You're strongly opposed to running laps? I could not bear to
consistently run long on a treadmill or track, and would prefer a
point-to-point; but I've not found it too odious to do 4 or 5 laps of
3.35 miles at Brooklyn's Prospect Park. Sometimes this seems worth it,
to run on mostly dirt, with the bonus of convenient access to water or
gatoraid and porta potties.

Similarly, boardwalks are a nice forgiving surface but you're not going
to get 20 miles on one without several back-and-forths. From the end
of the line on the A train @ Far Rockaway, you can run east maybe 4
miles before running out of boardwalk. There's another boardwalk by
Brighton Beach but not sure how long.

Old October 26th 05, 11:42 PM
My name is Earl

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:31:18 GMT, "Doug Freese"
wrote:

Of the list above it seems the 2100 at least fits your needs albeit
failes on the longevity. I can't help with a ideal shoe and maybe others
will offer some models but in the mean time, won't the 2100's be a
temporary solution?

Those are what I wear, however I routinely get 1000 miles or more from
mine. So Doogie is quite wrong on the longevity issue.
Old October 27th 05, 01:22 AM
Doug Freese

wrote:

Of the list above it seems the 2100 at least fits your needs albeit
failes on the longevity. I can't help with a ideal shoe and maybe
others
will offer some models but in the mean time, won't the 2100's be a
temporary solution?

Those are what I wear, however I routinely get 1000 miles or more from
mine. So Doogie is quite wrong on the longevity issue.

And I'm on my 5th pair and I don't get more than 400 before I fold in a
new pair and use the old ones for little short 5 mile runs to get at
best 500. If you really want to beef up your credibility try to
convince her they only weight 6 ounces.

-DF

Old October 27th 05, 02:18 AM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2005-10-27, Doug Freese wrote:

And I'm on my 5th pair and I don't get more than 400 before I fold in a
new pair and use the old ones for little short 5 mile runs to get at
best 500. If you really want to beef up your credibility try to
convince her they only weight 6 ounces.

How old is he anyway ? It's possible that they're 6oz in his size.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old October 27th 05, 02:43 AM
My name is Earl

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:22:51 GMT, "Doug Freese"
wrote:

And I'm on my 5th pair and I don't get more than 400 before I fold in a
new pair and use the old ones for little short 5 mile runs to get at
best 500. If you really want to beef up your credibility try to
convince her they only weight 6 ounces.

6 ozs? What are you, nuts? The reason you don't get more miles from
them is because you're a fat, old guy, and you wear them out much
faster.