running shoes as walking

Old December 24th 05, 09:26 PM posted to rec.running

Default running shoes as walking

Running shoes are good for walking if you think that walking in high
heels is good for you.

Old December 25th 05, 12:46 AM posted to rec.running

Woodsman wrote:
Running shoes are good for walking if you think that walking in high
heels is good for you.

I don't do high heels. Sauconys work for running or walking for me.

Old December 25th 05, 04:11 PM posted to rec.running

Woodsman wrote:
Running shoes are good for walking if you think that walking in
high heels is good for you.

Woodsman, I agree about the high heels.

Last month and a half I've been struggling with tightness all up and
down my right leg: calf, hamstring, ITB, glutes, hips. Because I have
one distinctly, chronically "problem" side, I've probably got some
asymmetry - misalignment, leg length discrepancy, or whatever.

But I wasn't bothered all spring and summer, running more than twice
the mileage. It finally dawned on me: the two pair of boots I've been
wearing most of the time since it got colder each have standard inch or
so heels. Through the summer and as late into the fall as I can push
it, I wear Birkenstocks and other heel-less sandals. In previous years
I haven't run much through the winters so the seasonal shoe switch
hasn't made itself felt this way before.

Running shoes have not been part of my adult wardrobe outside of
running; but your observation above certainly extends to most shoes
made for men or women. Only a small fraction of the shoes and boots
out there have little or no heel. (And AFAICT, an increasing number of
retro running-inspired shoes out there do in fact have miniscule heels.)

Old December 25th 05, 05:35 PM posted to rec.running

Charlie Pendejo wrote:
Woodsman wrote:
Running shoes are good for walking if you think that walking in
high heels is good for you.

Woodsman, I agree about the high heels.

Last month and a half I've been struggling with tightness all up and
down my right leg: calf, hamstring, ITB, glutes, hips. Because I have
one distinctly, chronically "problem" side, I've probably got some
asymmetry - misalignment, leg length discrepancy, or whatever.

But I wasn't bothered all spring and summer, running more than twice
the mileage. It finally dawned on me: the two pair of boots I've been
wearing most of the time since it got colder each have standard inch or
so heels. Through the summer and as late into the fall as I can push
it, I wear Birkenstocks and other heel-less sandals. In previous years

If the Brikenstocks don't have straps, so that you basically slam your
foot down instead of rolling into the ground, you'll develop knee
problems. Also, if the shoes you wear are angled too much from left to
right to prevent overpronation or if you have orthotics like superfeet
that prevent overpronation, that puts the knees at an incorrect angle,
which will develop knee problems. I agree it's hard to find a shoe.