Total Gym vs Total Trainer?

Old November 2nd 03, 10:21 PM
Toyratter

Default Total Gym vs Total Trainer?

We are looking to buy one of these, and were all set to buy a Total Gym when we
read a bunch of stuff about Total Trainer on ebay.

Total Trainer is a lot cheaper, but seems to have the same features. A family
member says you get what you pay for in fitness equipment. When we bought an
inversion table we got the top of the line and have been very happy with it.

Does anyone out there have a strong opinion? Is the Total Trainer lesser
quality or is the Total Gym overpriced?

Thanks for whatever you can tell us.
Old November 3rd 03, 12:45 AM
Lee Michaels

"Toyratter" wrote in message
We are looking to buy one of these, and were all set to buy a Total Gym

when we
read a bunch of stuff about Total Trainer on ebay.

Total Trainer is a lot cheaper, but seems to have the same features. A

family
member says you get what you pay for in fitness equipment. When we bought

an
inversion table we got the top of the line and have been very happy with

it.

Does anyone out there have a strong opinion? Is the Total Trainer lesser
quality or is the Total Gym overpriced?

Thanks for whatever you can tell us.

This is a weight newsgroup. I don't think that we could give you an
objective opinion concering the difference between total crap and toatal
****.

HTH

Old November 3rd 03, 02:05 AM
Jacob Andersen

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s54...

"Toyratter" wrote in message
We are looking to buy one of these, and were all set to buy a Total Gym

when we
read a bunch of stuff about Total Trainer on ebay.

Total Trainer is a lot cheaper, but seems to have the same features. A

family
member says you get what you pay for in fitness equipment. When we

bought
an
inversion table we got the top of the line and have been very happy with

it.

Does anyone out there have a strong opinion? Is the Total Trainer

lesser
quality or is the Total Gym overpriced?

Thanks for whatever you can tell us.

This is a weight newsgroup. I don't think that we could give you an
objective opinion concering the difference between total crap and toatal
****.

What he's saying is that unless your space is EXTREMELY ABSURDLY important
to you, your time and money could be better spent on another type of
eqiupment, regardless of your goals (i.e. The total gym is not better than a
lot of other things for "toning up" or "leaning out" or whatever).
If you have a little space get some real weight equipment and accept the
fact that it IS HARD to get results (yet oddly still fun and quick.), it
takes hard work, and you will sweat like a pig.
I realize I am taking a lot of stabs in the dark here about your intentions
and previous training experience, but I think I'm close.

/Jacob

Old November 3rd 03, 04:29 AM
Toyratter

[...]

Thank you very much. We are very cramped for space; whatever we get has to go
in the living room.

My husband has serious lumbar spinal stenosis, so he can't do anything that
places stress on his lower back or legs. We have talked about weights, and
still may go that route. We are primarily interested in abs and upper body. I
know nothing about free weights, but if that's the best course of action, I'm
open to it.

Old November 3rd 03, 07:01 AM
Jacob Andersen

"Toyratter" wrote in message
[...]

In case of a specific medical condition (such as with your husband) I'd
recommend some sort of professional guidance I guess, but finding somebody
that has any idea what they are talking about isn't always easy. But frankly
for your situation, which I know nothing about, I don't know what the best
course of action might be.
This group has some pretty knowledgable people in it though, so you might
luck out and get an answer from somebody with a clue.

/Jacob

Old November 3rd 03, 11:59 AM
Kenn Lynch

As far as your original question you are absolutely right about the
quality/price of Total Gym vs Trainer. The Total trainer is actually
better than some of the low-end Total Gym models as far as mechanical
construction. If you find that medical conditions, make this type of
machine a good choice, save yourself a large amount of dollars
get the Total Trainer (but by the total gym manuals and videos)
(I'll even sell you mine at a good price)

However as most folks in this group will advise you (they did me, but
I did not listen either) get yourself some free weights.
Both me and my wife quickly went beyond the weight levels possible
with the Total Trainer. (even with all the additional weights)

While we could still use the device in some movements, but for the
most part we can do everything with a set of dumbbells (Poweblocks are
nice but pricey) an Ezcurl bar, about 250lbs of Walmart weights and a
bench (which is nice but not absolutely needed right away).

Most important would be to research and read, read, read.
Be aware there is a lot of conflicting info
So find a program/philosphy/diet you can believe in and follow it.
See if it works for you. Make adjustments as needed.

Most important is to actually change/improve your lifestyle
It's the rest of your life. Set realistic goals and
don't loose spirit or expect too much too quick..

If you stay with it you can learn from your mistakes

Good Luck

Kenn Lynch

Old November 3rd 03, 09:09 PM
Jhon smith

Hi, I tried one of the total trainers a few months ago,from index,and found
that it was akward to put up/down,and doing some of the movements
also,especially on the higher inclines,I tended to slip/shift around quite a
bit,also the pully wheels don`t always twist as well as they could and
underneath the main board there are a set of plastic rollers that,on mine
just would not roll,I suspect poor design grenerally rather than a fault
with it,and after just a few uses it started to score the rollers quite
badly,so it was taken back.Never to be seen again,if you can this type of
thing really should be tried before you buy,and also when open up they do
take a lot more room than you first think,and are quite heavy.
I do feel that they may help tone the upper body,but prehaps a small bench
and small set of cast iron dumbells,and a good book,would be a better,and no
dearer or larger thing.

Old December 1st 03, 08:08 PM
dsa

(Toyratter) wrote in message ...
We are looking to buy one of these, and were all set to buy a Total Gym when we
read a bunch of stuff about Total Trainer on ebay.

Total Trainer is a lot cheaper, but seems to have the same features. A family
member says you get what you pay for in fitness equipment. When we bought an
inversion table we got the top of the line and have been very happy with it.

Does anyone out there have a strong opinion? Is the Total Trainer lesser
quality or is the Total Gym overpriced?

Thanks for whatever you can tell us.

I won't disagree with others that you can get as good a workout,
probably better, using free weights than you can with any machine.
You must also consider what your expectations are. I own a Total
Trainer. I do use it and I do like it. I also use some free weights.
I was originally going to buy a Total Gym but found the Total Trainer
on ebay and have had no problems with it at all. It's pretty big when
unfolded but folds up very easily. The Total Trainer is not that
great for leg work but I find it pretty useful for my shoulders,
chest, and arms. Some weeks I use nothing but free weights and others
I only use the Total Trainer. My expectation is not to "get huge" but
to gain some muscle and more or less maintain my current fitness
level. The people on here that say that free weights are the only way
to get in shape are wrong. Free weights are one way but can be
combined with other fitness tools that will allow you to get in shape.