newbie question: BB diet management

Old November 12th 03, 07:22 PM
Trevor

Default newbie question: BB diet management

Hi-

I started working out a few months ago, pretty much aiming for
hypertrophy more than anything.

I'm 5'7 160 llbs, which makes me a little overweight (10 lbs i think).
I'd like to shed a few pounds of fat. Now the thing is, it seems like
it really shouldn't be diffcult for me to do so. I eat at restaurants
a lot, drink gallons of beer, etc. I assume if I cut this out I would
be at an ideal weight. So in a sense, just by cutting out all the bad,
unnecessary calories I could do it.

Now of course the 64,000$ question is - can i lose fat and gain
muscle? It seems a little odd to me that If I stopped consuming pints
of beer and wings every night I wouldn't be able to gain muscle.

Also, just a very general lifestyle question, which I'm sure many
people can answer - if you had bad habits: drinking, smoking, etc.,
did you phase them out or stop completely? As you can tell, I've got
quite an unhealthy lifestyle, plus I smoke. I'm trying to do one thing
at a time, easiest first - weights, cutting food and drink, then
smoking. Did anyone do it like that? Or just suddenly stop everything
one day?

Trev
Old November 12th 03, 08:29 PM

"Trevor" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Trev, this is a complex question. I will attempt to answer with my own
personal experience. Couple of years ago, with my new year's resolutions I
decided to stop smoking, drinking and sex all at the same time. It was the
toughest 20 minutes of my life!
HTH

Old November 12th 03, 10:04 PM
John HUDSON

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:29:09 +1000, "David"
wrote:

"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Since the little ambulanceman decided to be rude, he has ceased to be
amusing. In fact I am thinking seriously of killfiling him!

He has provided me with many a belly laugh for some considerable time
now, and even caused the odd drink to do the cascade routine from the
nostrils. However, it is difficult to laugh with someone who is acting
like an arsehole.

I have therefore appointed the other David to be my new favourite
comedian. If the little ambulanceman doesn't improve he will
definitely join other trolls in my expanding killfiles.

Let that be a warning to all those who may care to trifle with me - no
more Mr Nice Guy!

Old November 12th 03, 11:12 PM
John HUDSON

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:34:37 +1000, "David"
wrote:

"John HUDSON" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:29:09 +1000, "David"
wrote:

"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
Hi-

[...]
[...]

Dear Mr "No More Mr Nice Guy"
thanks for the compliment - hope you realize that really good comedy doesn't
come easy - (plus you always need the day job to fall back on) - the little
ambulance man has been strangely silent lately - maybe he killfiled one
person too many and not getting any messages?

Quite frankly David, if that's the case he'll get no sympathy from me.
As far as I can see he will have brought all this unpleasantness down
upon himself.

But for him and the rabid way he turned upon us, we would have never
contemplated going on the killfile spree the way we have! Killfiling
is a powerful weapon, but potentially very, very frightening in the
wrong hands.

This should perhaps be a salutary and timely warning to others, who
may even as we speak be on the dreaded killfile slippery slope!
Old November 12th 03, 11:33 PM
John Dongle

(Trevor) wrote in message om...
[...]

I've done it but it's a slow process. For most human beings drastic
sudden changes don't come easily. It took awhile to cut all the crap
out before I started seeing any real progress. Gains are more about
what you put in your mouth than about what you lift off the floor.

John Dongle

"Weights is like um, a do it yourself thing"

Old November 13th 03, 12:31 AM

wrote:

"John HUDSON" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:29:09 +1000, "David"
wrote:

"Trevor" wrote in message
om...
Hi-

[...]
[...]

exactly right - of course we would deal mercifully with borderline trolls -
just the hard core trolls like Cohen who brought it upon themselves

This should perhaps be a salutary and timely warning to others, who
may even as we speak be on the dreaded killfile slippery slope!

don't mess with the messers!

Old November 14th 03, 07:50 PM
ignorcrew

(Trevor) wrote in message om...
Hi-

I started working out a few months ago, pretty much aiming for
hypertrophy more than anything.

I'm 5'7 160 llbs, which makes me a little overweight (10 lbs i think).
I'd like to shed a few pounds of fat. Now the thing is, it seems like
it really shouldn't be diffcult for me to do so. I eat at restaurants
a lot, drink gallons of beer, etc. I assume if I cut this out I would
be at an ideal weight. So in a sense, just by cutting out all the bad,
unnecessary calories I could do it.

Except that they are calories, and if you are used to getting them and
then suddenly stop getting them, you might replace them with calories
from other stuff. But it's a good approach anyway.

Now of course the 64,000$ question is - can i lose fat and gain
muscle?

Since you started working out only a few month ago, then the answer is
"yes".

It seems a little odd to me that If I stopped consuming pints
of beer and wings every night I wouldn't be able to gain muscle.

For a little while(if your lifting program is good and you don't go
starving yourself).

Also, just a very general lifestyle question, which I'm sure many
people can answer - if you had bad habits: drinking, smoking, etc.,
did you phase them out or stop completely? As you can tell, I've got
quite an unhealthy lifestyle, plus I smoke. I'm trying to do one thing
at a time, easiest first - weights, cutting food and drink, then
smoking.

I would second this approach. When you start lifting and your body
starts looking good, you may not want to ruin it by other stuff that's
bad for you.

Did anyone do it like that? Or just suddenly stop everything
one day?

Trev

Good luck!

Newbie question Rob Weights 54 August 19th 03 11:34 PM
Newbie question! Donovan Rebbechi Weights 4 August 13th 03 06:04 PM
The New Diet Book Disaster k[N>?Q\d:H Fred Jones Weights 2 July 22nd 03 04:26 AM
The New Diet Book Disaster EOid==Evqo Fred Jones Walking 1 July 22nd 03 03:19 AM