walking shoes and callus treatments

Old April 9th 06, 05:10 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Default walking shoes and callus treatments

For the last couple of years my walking has ranged between 100 and 200
miles per month. I've gone through a number of pairs of footwear from
the "running shoes" section of local shoe stores. Salesmen have
generally asserted that running shoes are perfectly good for walking,
but some people I've talked with say otherwise.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations (web links appreciated)
for sneakers or shoes specifically made for walking, and what are the
differences to look for?

Also, second question, what OTC treatments are there that work at
removing calluses. I've been a few times to a podiatrist, who has
prescribed Lactin-E cream (expensive and not covered by my insurance).
Is there anything equally as effective available at a lower cost?

Thanks.

--
"Wanna go for a walk?"
http://squaredcircle.tomrue.net/inde...y060328-212013

Old April 9th 06, 08:22 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Tom wrote:
Also, second question, what OTC treatments are there that work at
removing calluses. I've been a few times to a podiatrist, who has
prescribed Lactin-E cream (expensive and not covered by my insurance).
Is there anything equally as effective available at a lower cost?

When I had a painful callous on the bottom of my heel, I went to the
drugstore and spent a few dollars on a Dr. Scholl's callous remover
(looks like a plastic stick with a mini cheese grater at the end) and it
completely got rid of it in about a week and it has never come back.

- Bob C.
Old April 10th 06, 10:53 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Tom wrote:
For the last couple of years my walking has ranged between 100 and 200
miles per month. I've gone through a number of pairs of footwear from
the "running shoes" section of local shoe stores. Salesmen have
generally asserted that running shoes are perfectly good for walking,
but some people I've talked with say otherwise.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations (web links appreciated)
for sneakers or shoes specifically made for walking, and what are the
differences to look for?

Most sales people in most stores are order takers and know little about what
is proper.

New Balance outlines on their web site the differences between running and
walking shoes.
I switched from running to walking shoes based on what they said shortly
after starting to walk on a regular basis again. The shin splints I was
experiencing went away.

I "retire" my New Balance Shoes after about 1000 miles but still wear them
for years after. They also have widths.

Old April 15th 06, 03:39 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Oh man, don't even listen to the sales staff about walking. They may be
runners and may have good advice about running shoes but practically no one
knows about walking. And running shoes are NOT the same as walking shoes.
Running involves completely different foot physics, if you will, than does
walking. If a salesman says "no difference between running and walking
shoes," you should depart the store as fast as you can.

I walk 30 to 50 miles per week using New Balance's walking shoes, Model
833(?) 834(?), something like that. Just thinking about walking that far in
a running shoe gives me the jumping, shuddering horrors.

AT

ups.com...