Help with my Sport Mindset dissertation research

Old July 13th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.running
tonypickering

Default Help with my Sport Mindset dissertation research

As part of my graduate school dissertation research project I am
conducting a study about Sport Mindsets. I am seeking athletes who
might be willing to assist my research by completing a brief (10-15
minutes) online survey located at http://sportmindset.com .
Participation is anonymous and you are free to withdraw at any time.

Sincerely,

Tony Pickering
University of Idaho

PS - If you choose to participate in the study please enter the number
903 when your group PIN is requested at the beginning of the survey.

Old July 13th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.running
Al Bundy

tonypickering wrote:
As part of my graduate school dissertation research project I am
conducting a study about Sport Mindsets. I am seeking athletes who
might be willing to assist my research by completing a brief (10-15
minutes) online survey located at http://sportmindset.com .
Participation is anonymous and you are free to withdraw at any time.

Sincerely,

Tony Pickering
University of Idaho

PS - If you choose to participate in the study please enter the number
903 when your group PIN is requested at the beginning of the survey.

It started off with a bunch of gobble-dy-gook trick questions rewording
essentially the same thing different ways. That was it for me. It's the
same nonsense we often see in these requests. Why do graduate school
students regress to the grade school level of questioning? I bet there
won't be many completions.

Old July 14th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.running
Michael

I agree! I also quit on the first page of questions. I hate those
re-worded type questions with levels of answers. Ask me a question and
let me answer yes, no, NA.

Old July 19th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.running
tonypickering

Hello: Thanks for your interest. Sorry the questions were not of your
liking. It is often useful to know how strongly someone
agrees/disagrees with a statement. Not everyone who responds "yes" or
"no" has the same strength of conviction. That is why psychology
researchers often use Likert scales such as the ones used in the sport
mindset survey.

I know the survey will not be of interest to everyone. That is why I
emphasized in the original post and in the instructions at
www.sportmindset.com that I am only asking for those who are
interested. I do not want to burden anyone.

Thanks again for your interest.

Tony Pickering
University of Idaho.

Old July 19th 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.running
Dot

tonypickering wrote:
Hello: Thanks for your interest. Sorry the questions were not of your
liking. It is often useful to know how strongly someone
agrees/disagrees with a statement. Not everyone who responds "yes" or
"no" has the same strength of conviction. That is why psychology
researchers often use Likert scales such as the ones used in the sport
mindset survey.

I know the survey will not be of interest to everyone. That is why I
emphasized in the original post and in the instructions at
www.sportmindset.com that I am only asking for those who are
interested. I do not want to burden anyone.

For curiosity, what hypothesis are you testing and can you *briefly*
describe your experimental design? (short paragraph for general public,
which I'm sure you've had to provide somewhere at some point prior to
initiating the study) Has a statistician or survey guru looked at your
design and questionnaire?

Why I'm asking. You indidcate it should take 5-8 sec/question. But the
first 8 questions deal with whether one can change one's "ability" or
not. While there may be subtle differences in the questions, which
causes one to pause to figure out what the difference is, they depend on
how a person interprets ability, which can be a "natural or acquired
skill or talent". Some people may interpret the questions to be asking
about natural talent (can't do anything about this) while others may
interpret them to be asking about acquired skills or performance. You
may argue for one definition, but if your responders don't interpret it
that way, you'll get answers to a different question from what you
asked. Not sure how long it took me, but it was waay longer than 8
sec/question for page 1. I felt like I was answering trick questions
from BIOL 101 or whatever.

While the other pages weren't as ambiguous, they still focused on one
basic thing per page, asked in different ways. I do understand the
technique. After the 2nd page, I looked at the rest, and decided I had
other things I'd rather be doing. If you're trying to get a broad
sample, the survey needs to be short enough that people will fill it out.

Given the comments some others have made, similar to mine, you're
obviously getting a subset of athletic population - in this case,
runners with internet connections that tie into rec.running that don't
get bored easily with questions like that. I'm not sure where else
you've distributed the questionnaire.

I do recognize the issues with not just conducting the surveys, but
human rights and the right to not respond. I usually sample plants, and
they have to cough up their measurements. They don't have the right to
not respond. But we've also dealt with trail use surveys trying to get
an idea of how many people are using a particular trail system and for
what (run, ski, bike, walk dog, horses, etc). And how to extrapolate
data from a 1-wk period in October to year round use. Keeping the survey
short enough that it could be answered in a few minutes was critical.
Trying to get anything like a meaningful subsample to generalize from is
challenging. Not everyone will stop at the trailhead to fill out a
questionnaire or is willing to be interviewed for even a couple minutes.

Anyway, that's why I'm curious - and wondering if you were intending to
get a biased sample.

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Old July 19th 06, 12:47 PM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"Dot" wrote in message
Not sure how long it took me, but it was waay longer than 8
sec/question for page 1. I felt like I was answering trick questions
from BIOL 101 or whatever.

I did get through it but also felt it was long and ambiguous to a fault
asking the same question from 10 different directions was real obviuos
very quickly. In addition it was so boringly long that I found myself
getting ****ed off at the superficial depth and started answering
almost ramdomly. I hope the results factor an irratation factor for
valid data.

It was way too long and too obviuos and frankly give the tester a D
grade for the survey much less use the results.

-DF

Old July 19th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.running
Dot

Doug Freese wrote:
"Dot" wrote in message

Not sure how long it took me, but it was waay longer than 8
sec/question for page 1. I felt like I was answering trick questions
from BIOL 101 or whatever.

I did get through it

Ah, hah. Now we're getting some insight into what type of bias. Desired
reponder must be capable of running 100 mi in hot, humid weather,
including a sprint to the finish - and enjoying it enough that they do
it multiple years (that's stick-to-it-iveness) ; can tolerate running
roads in winter for many hours; drinks heineken and slimfast.

but also felt it was long and ambiguous to a fault
asking the same question from 10 different directions was real obviuos
very quickly.

Sometimes that's done to see if you answer consistently. It may also be
done to see if you have the endurance to answer the dang thing. Yep,
they were looking for successful ultrarunners - who can persevere for
long times.

In addition it was so boringly long that I found myself
getting ****ed off at the superficial depth and started answering
almost ramdomly. I hope the results factor an irratation factor for
valid data.

I was actually being antagonized by the wording of some questions, but
the egotism of some highly competitive athletes is also repulsive to me.
That's why I'm wondering if the survey is designed to eliminate certain
types of responders.

It was way too long and too obviuos and frankly give the tester a D
grade for the survey much less use the results.

Unless the survey is being used to look at a particular subset, and I'm
wondering about the validity, and why I asked the questions I did.

He does have the university approval page (human subjects), so
presumably somebody has read the design and approved it - but it could
be an administrative approval, not academic.

It's also not the first survey I didn't complete in the last year or so,
but I spent over an hour on one that was supposed to be 30 min. Again,
questions that were ambiguous to answer, and took a long time to write
explanatory statements on choice. (While I was nominally in the group
being sampled (faculty), I was in a non-standard group that the survey
failed to acknowledge.)

Dot