Volleyball workout advice

Old December 17th 03, 04:04 PM
The Fonz

Default Volleyball workout advice

Hi everyone. I'm trying to put together a training plan for
volleyball, but I don't really know where to start. I was hoping that
someone here could help me in the right direction. Sport-wise, I need
to try and combine strength with a degree of endurance. Volleyball is
generally anaerobic, but I think that the endurance side is often
overlooked.

I've looked at a few routines on the net, and they are mostly either
for powerlifting or bodybuilding. Neither of these is especially
suitable if I carry too much weight, I get slow.

I've been thinking that a combination of bodyweight exercises and low
rep work would be best. Any comments? Would circuit training be a
good idea? I don't want to do any plyometrics just yet I think I
should worry about getting stronger first.

I'm currently about 195lbs, 6'3", 27"ish vert. I've a little bit of
weight-lifting experience.

Thanks in advance
TF
Old December 17th 03, 04:25 PM
Bob Falooley

The Fonz wrote:

[...]

Practicing some of the olympic lifts would be good for you power and vert
jump. You will get stronger before you get bulkier. If it is a major
concern for you not to gain any bulk, just keep an eye on your diet, and
keep calories at maintenance level.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

These are advanced excercises, and you should read up on them or find
someone who knows what they are doing, before you attempt them.

--Falooley
Old December 17th 03, 04:27 PM
Keith Hobman

In article ,
(The Fonz) wrote:

[...]

Olympic lifts. The problem isn't carrying too much weight - its not
training that motor units to fire together explosively.

The 5'6" 320 lb olympic lifter Serge Reding could vertical jump over 48"
and clear a 14' olympic platform in the standing broad jump.

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/7342/Rdg1.html

Circuit training would be the worst way to go, as it tends to promote
hypertrophy and specifically hypertrophy of slow twitch fibre.

You really don't need endurance - you need to be able to restore quickly.
So lifting low reps, high sets and low rest intervals is the way to go.

Something like:

Clean 8 sets of 3 reps with 45 second RI.
Squat 10 sets of 2 reps with 30 second RI.

Each lift is done as explosively as possible.

BTW - I think athletes are much better off doing full cleans than power cleans.

--
Keith Hobman

--- email address above is a non-monitored spam sink.
Old December 17th 03, 04:55 PM
Jeff Finlayson

The Fonz wrote:

Hi everyone. I'm trying to put together a training plan for
volleyball, but I don't really know where to start. I was hoping that
someone here could help me in the right direction. Sport-wise, I need
to try and combine strength with a degree of endurance. Volleyball is
generally anaerobic, but I think that the endurance side is often
overlooked.

I've looked at a few routines on the net, and they are mostly either
for powerlifting or bodybuilding. Neither of these is especially
suitable if I carry too much weight, I get slow.

You won't gain weight with any program unless you eat for it.

I've been thinking that a combination of bodyweight exercises and low
rep work would be best. Any comments? Would circuit training be a
good idea? I don't want to do any plyometrics just yet I think I
should worry about getting stronger first.

I think you should go with a powerlifting type routine. Super set
some of the exercises for abs and calves maybe. Do some cardio
or sprint/agility work after the workouts.

I'm currently about 195lbs, 6'3", 27"ish vert. I've a little bit of
weight-lifting experience.

Thanks in advance
TF

You could start regular lifting with a program like this one.
http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/beginner.html

Maybe later move to a PL type workouts like this one.
http://www.weighttrainersunited.com/rdctemplate.html

Jeff out ...

Old December 17th 03, 05:21 PM
Bob Falooley

Keith Hobman wrote:

Something like:

Clean 8 sets of 3 reps with 45 second RI.
Squat 10 sets of 2 reps with 30 second RI.

Each lift is done as explosively as possible.

BTW - I think athletes are much better off doing full cleans than power
cleans.

Excuse my newbiedom,

What is the differance between a full clean and a power clean?

--Falooley
Old December 17th 03, 05:22 PM
Will

In article ,
(Keith Hobman) wrote:

In article ,
(The Fonz) wrote:

[...]

Hey Keith, what do you think of the contention some Westsiders make (I
can dig up cites if you want) that box squats are just as good (or
better, since they allow heavier weights) as the olympic lifts for
developing explosive power, while easier to learn?
Old December 17th 03, 06:35 PM
Jeff Finlayson

Bob Falooley wrote:
Keith Hobman wrote:

Something like:

Clean 8 sets of 3 reps with 45 second RI.
Squat 10 sets of 2 reps with 30 second RI.

Each lift is done as explosively as possible.

BTW - I think athletes are much better off doing full cleans than
power cleans.

Excuse my newbiedom,
What is the differance between a full clean and a power clean?

Less depth with power cleans. A full clean is like hams to calves,
where a power clean is less than that, say a parallel squat for example.

--Falooley

Old December 17th 03, 06:44 PM
Keith Hobman

In article , Will
wrote:

In article ,
(Keith Hobman) wrote:

In article ,
(The Fonz) wrote:

[...]

1. There is no plyometric component to box squats. The clean is plyometric
in nature.

2. There is no indication that heavier weights allow a greater rate of
force development - in fact the opposite. If a greater weight were
desirable why not do competition squats?

3. Box squats are good, but are we seeing Westide guys with a vertical
jump of 48" plus? I don't know, but I would be suprised. My attitude is
that they are good, but until I see the explosiveness in powerlifters I
see in Olympic lifters I'm sticking to the Olympic lifters exercises if
I'm developing power.

Old December 17th 03, 06:45 PM
Keith Hobman

In article , Bob Falooley
wrote:

Keith Hobman wrote:

Something like:

Clean 8 sets of 3 reps with 45 second RI.
Squat 10 sets of 2 reps with 30 second RI.

Each lift is done as explosively as possible.

BTW - I think athletes are much better off doing full cleans than power
cleans.

Excuse my newbiedom,

What is the differance between a full clean and a power clean?

In the full clean the lifter pulls the bar to just above the waist and
then drops under the bar into a full squat and then front squats the
weights.

In a power clean you pull the bar up to just below you shoulders and then
dip under the bar.

--Falooley

Old December 17th 03, 07:26 PM
Jim Ranieri

"The Fonz" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'd spend a few (4-8, depending on your present conditioning level) weeks
doing some short lifting sessions to condition your muscles and esp. tendons
to cope with the heavier loads you'll be using during future strength
training sessions. Circuit training is okay for this part.

During your strength building (hopefully during the off-season), drop your
reps to 1-4, using upwards of 80% of your max. Do just a few exercises that
incorporate the prime movers for volleyball. Maybe squats, cleans and
military presses. Do more sets (8-10) and, as Keith said, concentrate on
explosive execution. I'd rest a little longer between sets, though.

Now, no matter how hard you try to accelerate 95% of your 1RM, it just ain't
gonna move very fast. After about 8 weeks of max strength building, drop
the weight to maybe 60-70% and execute each rep as explosively as
possible -really accelerate it (Just don't snap your joints on extension).

I'd also incorporate plyometrics, (bounding, reactive jumps,etc.) after
you've got a good conditioning base down. These different training periods,
max strength building, conversion to power and maintenance (during the
competitive season) can be cycled throughout the year.

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 10:32 PM
Workout routine advice Matt Weights 0 December 14th 03 03:35 PM
Beginner's Workout Advice Jason Weights 1 September 24th 03 12:06 AM
Being an essay on endurance weeniedom and training Lyle McDonald Weights 40 September 12th 03 01:35 AM
Build Muscle and Loose Fat FA Weights 162 August 5th 03 03:02 AM