newbie question

Old January 4th 04, 05:29 PM
ray miller

Default newbie question

I'm 46, 6'2" #209. 18 months ago I decided to lose some
weight and try to get fitter. I've lost #60+ watching calories
and started cardio (treadmill and stationary bike), and in
the last 4 months I started with weights as a result of
reading here. I've never done any sport, except a bit of
swimming at school.

I do squats, deadlift, bench, and rows 3 times a week.
Usually 3 sets with 6-10 reps with heavier weight
each set (except squat, which I only do with light weights
till I get a cage). I also pick from various other
exercises (biceps curls, leg extension, calf raises,
military press, and a few more) to extend the workout to
about 40-45 minutes. I do cardio 30' 3 times a week in
between lifting days, with one day off a week.

Although I'm pleased with progress so far I think I could do
better. I have a problem with my coccyx (base of the spine).
I damaged it 2 years ago on holiday. The doctor says there
isn't anything he can do to help. It gets quite painful if
I do exercises (like situps) that put stress on that area.
As a result I haven't really worked my abs very much. Are
there any exercises that I could try to improve core
strength that might not cause too much pain.

The only thing I've found so far is reverse crunches and
even these aren't comfortable. Is it worth doing pressups?
I can't do that many, but at least they don't hurt my butt!

My aim is to lose fat primarily, and gain strength and muscle
if possible. So far I've been quite successful, but I realize
that's cos I'm a beginner. How long does the beginner
advantage last? WHat can I do to maximise it?

Ray
--
rmnsuk
overall - 273/209/182
Old January 4th 04, 05:57 PM
Wayne S. Hill

ray miller wrote:

I'm 46, 6'2" #209. 18 months ago I decided to lose some
weight and try to get fitter. I've lost #60+ watching calories
and started cardio (treadmill and stationary bike), and in
the last 4 months I started with weights as a result of
reading here. I've never done any sport, except a bit of
swimming at school.

Good progress.

[...]

There is no need to lie down to work your abs. Squats,
deadlift, benching, rowing, shoulder press, and even curls and
triceps pressdowns work the abs.

My aim is to lose fat primarily, and gain strength and muscle
if possible. So far I've been quite successful, but I realize
that's cos I'm a beginner. How long does the beginner
advantage last?

Until they stop. You'll know this because the weights will no
longer increase on a regular basis.

WHat can I do to maximise it?

Keep on keepin' on.

--
-Wayne
Old January 4th 04, 06:02 PM

ray miller wrote:
I have a problem with my coccyx (base of the spine).
I damaged it 2 years ago on holiday. The doctor says there
isn't anything he can do to help. It gets quite painful if
I do exercises (like situps) that put stress on that area.
As a result I haven't really worked my abs very much. Are
there any exercises that I could try to improve core
strength that might not cause too much pain.

Side bends?

The only thing I've found so far is reverse crunches and
even these aren't comfortable. Is it worth doing pressups?
I can't do that many, but at least they don't hurt my butt!

My aim is to lose fat primarily, and gain strength and muscle
if possible. So far I've been quite successful, but I realize
that's cos I'm a beginner. How long does the beginner
advantage last? What can I do to maximize it?

www.hypertrophy-specific.com, read the strategic deconditioning article.

Old January 4th 04, 06:32 PM
The Queen of Cans and Jars

Wayne S. Hill wrote:

The only thing I've found so far is reverse crunches and
even these aren't comfortable. Is it worth doing pressups?
I can't do that many, but at least they don't hurt my butt!

There is no need to lie down to work your abs. Squats,
deadlift, benching, rowing, shoulder press, and even curls and
triceps pressdowns work the abs.

i have to say, my abs feel great since i started doing deadlifts. they
make a noticeable difference.

Old January 4th 04, 08:38 PM
Dan Cosley

In article , ray miller wrote:

isn't anything he can do to help. It gets quite painful if
I do exercises (like situps) that put stress on that area.
As a result I haven't really worked my abs very much. Are
there any exercises that I could try to improve core
strength that might not cause too much pain.

The only thing I've found so far is reverse crunches and
even these aren't comfortable. Is it worth doing pressups?
I can't do that many, but at least they don't hurt my butt!

One possibility (besides deadlifts for abs, etc., that others
have suggested) is hanging/vertical hip raises. See

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html

Can't vouch for the personally, but you might try them and
see how you like them.

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)
Old January 4th 04, 09:38 PM
ray miller

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 17:02:14 GMT, wrote:

Have you measured your body fat before and
after??

Unfortunately no. I wish I had. I bought some calipers and on Omron
impedance thing for christmas. The omron says 27% at the moment I'm
still working on the calipers. They aren't easy to use.

Have you tried putting a cushion under that area when you are doing
the crunch to minimize impact?? If you have access to high pulley you
can do kneeling crunches which might take the stress off that area.

Cushions work for sitting, but not when you try to rotate #200 over
your butt. I've wondered about a high pulley. I'll consider one
when/if I get a cage.

Thanks

Ray
--
rmnsuk
overall - 273/209/182
Old January 4th 04, 10:50 PM
Dally

ray miller wrote:

The only thing I've found so far is reverse crunches and
even these aren't comfortable. Is it worth doing pressups?
I can't do that many, but at least they don't hurt my butt!

Get a swiss ball of around 65 cm and use that for crunches, where you
position your butt to be hanging in the air at the edge of the ball.
It's also a nice way to do dumbbell squats with the swiss ball rolling
down your back.

Wal*mart sells a clear "crystal" one for about $16.

I also do hanging knee lifts for abs and on the high cable I do a
straight arm pressdown for shoulders and tricep pushdown in a combo
motion that I do really slow and it works my abs the whole time.

Another thing I do for abs is are stomach vacuums where I lie on my
back, knees bent and exhale and try to push my back into the floor while
exhaling the entire time. I try to hold the count for 20 or so and
really try to push my belly button into my spine.

Besides these, I do Pilates but that's mostly because I'm a woman of a
certain age and the Law requires that I do it.

By the way, welcome. That was a nice "newbie" post.

Dally

Old January 5th 04, 11:48 AM
Helgi Briem

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 19:38:51 +0000 (UTC), Dan Cosley
wrote:

One possibility (besides deadlifts for abs, etc., that others
have suggested) is hanging/vertical hip raises. See

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/WaistWt.html

Can't vouch for the personally, but you might try them and
see how you like them.

I do them a lot. They're very nice.
Old January 5th 04, 10:42 PM
ray miller

Get a swiss ball of around 65 cm and use that for crunches, where you
position your butt to be hanging in the air at the edge of the ball.
It's also a nice way to do dumbbell squats with the swiss ball rolling
down your back.

I have one, got it in a sale last year! I didn't really know what to
do with it! I'll try doing crunches that way - sounds cool.

Thx

Ray
--
rmnsuk
overall - 273/209/182
Old January 6th 04, 02:15 AM
Dally

ray miller wrote:
Get a swiss ball of around 65 cm and use that for crunches, where you
position your butt to be hanging in the air at the edge of the ball.
It's also a nice way to do dumbbell squats with the swiss ball rolling
down your back.

I have one, got it in a sale last year! I didn't really know what to
do with it! I'll try doing crunches that way - sounds cool.

Thx

Ray

Go see what Mistress Krista has to say at
http://www.stumptuous.com/swissball.html

Dally

Stupid newbie question Patrick F. Clarin Weights 15 December 12th 03 03:10 AM
Newbie Question: How Frequently Should I Workout Each Muscle Group? Gusboy Weights 26 December 9th 03 03:03 PM
newbie question: BB diet management Trevor Weights 9 November 16th 03 04:19 AM
Newbie question Rob Weights 54 August 19th 03 11:34 PM
Newbie question! Donovan Rebbechi Weights 4 August 13th 03 06:04 PM