super light flat for fat feet

Old May 22nd 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.running
Charlie Pendejo

Default super light flat for fat feet

At least I *think* what I've heard is that shoes for the Japanese
market tend to run wider than those for the American & European
populace. A few of you have mentioned that your chubby paws oblige
you to seek wider flats.

http://tinyurl.com/ypxod3

In case the above link goes bad, shoe is the Asics Pirahna, described
thusly at Eastbay's site:

-- snip --
The GEL-Piranha is the lightest racing flat ASICS® has ever presented
to the US market. Built from the same platform as ASICS® Japanese
racing flats, this top ended racer was designed to maintain a perfect
balance between providing super fast road feel and exceptional
platform comfort. Open mesh upper provides excellent comfort and
breathability. Solyte™ midsole is lighter than standard EVA and SpEVA®
combined with improved cushioning and durability. Magic™ Sole outsole
minimizes weight and maximizes breathability. Wt. 4.8 oz.
-- snip --

Hmmm, at under five ounces, I don't think even Asics could've jammed
too much "technology" into this shoe to screw it up. Heel's obviously
quite low from the photo.

Old May 22nd 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.running
I2Run

"Charlie Pendejo" wrote in message
|Hmmm, at under five ounces, I don't think even Asics could've jammed
|too much "technology" into this shoe to screw it up. Heel's obviously
|quite low from the photo.

The GEL-Ohana Racer looks better in that regard, but at 8.5 oz.

I have been racing in trainers such as NB 1023/1221 Asics 1100 for longer
distances of 10 miles to Marathon and Asics Speedstar for 10K or less.
I would like to use lighter weight shoes eventually.
Do you have any suggestions for distances such as 5K, 10K, HM and M?
I take D width that only NB and Asics list them,
but neither Nike nor Adidas does that.

Old May 22nd 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.running
Elflord

On 2007-05-22, Charlie Pendejo wrote:

Hmmm, at under five ounces, I don't think even Asics could've jammed
too much "technology" into this shoe to screw it up. Heel's obviously
quite low from the photo.

Asics do have a remarkable ability to jam a 9oz shoe into less than 7oz of
advertised weight.

btw, Adidas also have a very light shoe out. Hard to tell from the pics, but
it does seem similar to the old super-light NB RC150s.

Cheers,
--
Elflord
Old May 22nd 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.running
Charlie Pendejo

Donovan wrote:
Pendejo wrote:
Hmmm, at under five ounces, I don't think even Asics could've jammed
too much "technology" into this shoe to screw it up.

Asics do have a remarkable ability to jam a 9oz shoe into less than 7oz of
advertised weight.

True enough. Makers of a shoe called "magic" which magically got thirty
percent heavier in the presence of a scale...

btw, Adidas also have a very light shoe out. Hard to tell from the pics,
but
it does seem similar to the old super-light NB RC150s.

Yeah, advertised weight is a hair under 4 ounces for the adiZero PR.
There's a couple more conventional flats sharing the adiZero designation,
the "RC" and "LT".

I'm not too excited about shaving a few more grams from my Corsa Sette or
Air Streak XC - they're pretty much light and flexible enough for me, and
it's not like I'm typically within a couple seconds of winning my AG and
thinking "oh, if only I weren't burdened by these six and a half ounce
bricks." But it's good to see shoes like this even being sold here.

Old May 22nd 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.running
Charlie Pendejo

I2Run wrote:
I have been racing in trainers such as NB 1023/1221 Asics 1100 for longer
distances of 10 miles to Marathon and Asics Speedstar for 10K or less.
I would like to use lighter weight shoes eventually.
Do you have any suggestions for distances such as 5K, 10K, HM and M?

I am inordinately fond of Fila's Corsa Sette (current model with slightly
revised upper = Corsa Otto) for its superior cushioning at quite a light
weight, plus flexibility, durability, all that good stuff. For me, it's
light enough for the short stuff and cushy enough for the long stuff and
daily training.

Having worn a pretty good handful of flats and LWTs, this one really stands
out from the crowd for me.

That's absolutely no guarantee you'd like 'em, of course. And they're not
much lighter than the listed weight of Speedstar II (though I suspect
they're likely simpler and more flexible). If you're wearing the original
Speedstar it'd be a few ounces lighter - but in that case you might want to
check out the current generation Speedstar before looking elsewhere.

I might suggest generally, since you've got shoes which work for you for
shorter distances (Speedstar) you might see if you can gradually increase
the distance you wear them for racing and training.

Old May 23rd 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.running
I2Run

"Charlie Pendejo" wrote in message

| I am inordinately fond of Fila's Corsa Sette (current model with slightly
| revised upper = Corsa Otto) for its superior cushioning at quite a light
| weight, plus flexibility, durability, all that good stuff. For me, it's
| light enough for the short stuff and cushy enough for the long stuff and
| daily training.
|
| Having worn a pretty good handful of flats and LWTs, this one really
stands
| out from the crowd for me.

I would like to try one of them in near future,
but either model is hard to find online (Eastbay, Amazon).

| That's absolutely no guarantee you'd like 'em, of course. And they're not
| much lighter than the listed weight of Speedstar II (though I suspect
| they're likely simpler and more flexible). If you're wearing the original
| Speedstar it'd be a few ounces lighter - but in that case you might want
| check out the current generation Speedstar before looking elsewhere.

I have only the original, II will be a definite step up.

| I might suggest generally, since you've got shoes which work for you for
| shorter distances (Speedstar) you might see if you can gradually increase
| the distance you wear them for racing and training.

Good point, I should work on gradual increase of mileage on these.
Thanks for your input, CP.

Old May 23rd 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.running
Elflord

On 2007-05-22, Charlie Pendejo wrote:
I2Run wrote:
I have been racing in trainers such as NB 1023/1221 Asics 1100 for longer
distances of 10 miles to Marathon and Asics Speedstar for 10K or less.
I would like to use lighter weight shoes eventually.
Do you have any suggestions for distances such as 5K, 10K, HM and M?

I am inordinately fond of Fila's Corsa Sette (current model with slightly
revised upper = Corsa Otto) for its superior cushioning at quite a light
weight, plus flexibility, durability, all that good stuff. For me, it's
light enough for the short stuff and cushy enough for the long stuff and
daily training.

I just saw the pictures of the new model on holabird and these look really
promising. I like the simple doodad-free one piece outsole. Even if they're
not the very lightest shoe, it's a nice, clean unintrusive design.

Cheers,
--
Elflord
Old May 23rd 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.running
D Stumpus

"I2Run" wrote

| I might suggest generally, since you've got shoes which work for you for
| shorter distances (Speedstar) you might see if you can gradually
increase
| the distance you wear them for racing and training.

Good point, I should work on gradual increase of mileage on these.
Thanks for your input, CP.

I just wear the flats for my long runs -- I've found that if they work for
20 miles and aren't too tight (you can get away with a snug shoe for short
races, but not for marathon+), they will work for longer races 26.2 thru 50
miles...

Old May 23rd 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.running
D Stumpus

Thanks for the lead on the Piranha.

I'm testing out my new nike Katana Racer 2's on medium runs, and will
inagurate them in this Saturday's trail 10k race. Very light (7.5 oz in the
presence of a scale in size 11).

The low heel seems like it may enable me to get more spring out of my
Achilles tendon. I seem to climb better in the Katanas than I do in the
slightly heavier and thick-heeled Vaporflys.

Old May 23rd 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.running
Charlie Pendejo

I2Run wrote:
| Fila's Corsa Sette (current model [...] = Corsa Otto)

I would like to try one of them in near future,
but either model is hard to find online (Eastbay, Amazon).

Amazon's got the Sette on closeout but only in size 11.5. Plus they
want a whole $32 for 'em; I got their last couple pair of size 8 back
in January for $23 per.

These have an idiosyncratic fit: they run a good half size large (I
need size 8 whereas usually 8.5 in other running shoes) and have a
high arch - so as usual it'd be ideal if you could find 'em locally.
Barring that, here's some online retailers who carry the shoe:

zappos.com
holabirdsports.com
runningwarehouse.com

I actually find the Nike Free 5.0 fairly similar - it's also quite
light and super flexible. All marketing mysticism aside, it does
manage to feel about like a minimal cross country flat but with more
cushion. But the 5.0 has a higher heel, more like a conventional
trainer.

The Free 3.0 is now out, with lower profile heel and sole. When it
comes time to retire the 5.0 I'll probably replace 'em with this newer
model, assuming they feel OK in the store.