Blood pressure

Old May 26th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.running
Len A.

Default Blood pressure

I was wondering if anyone has experience this.

Recently I was told my blood pressure was "high normal" ...137/88. I am
a sixty year old man and run / jog 35 miles a week.

So in order to monitor my blood pressure I bought a monitor and take it
often....like a new toy.

Now this is something I found to be odd. The pamphlet says before taking
blood pressure "relax for 5 minutes".....but for the hell of it I took
it after a run....my pulse was up but the blood pressure was
low.....120/ 74. I've done this more than once with the same results.

I've been running nearly 20 years and wondering if blood pressure
numbers would be different for runners?

Len

Old May 26th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.running
Eigenvector

"Len A." wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone has experience this.

Recently I was told my blood pressure was "high normal" ...137/88. I am
a sixty year old man and run / jog 35 miles a week.

So in order to monitor my blood pressure I bought a monitor and take it
often....like a new toy.

Now this is something I found to be odd. The pamphlet says before taking
blood pressure "relax for 5 minutes".....but for the hell of it I took
it after a run....my pulse was up but the blood pressure was
low.....120/ 74. I've done this more than once with the same results.

I've been running nearly 20 years and wondering if blood pressure
numbers would be different for runners?

Len

I have a hard time believing you could get an accurate reading with your
pulse so high - that is unless your pulse doesn't go over 80 in which case
you're not running very hard. That's why you have to rest before taking it.

More that likely your pressure meter is having a hard time distinguishing
between systolic and diastolic pressures - assuming you're using an
electronic BP gauge.

I've monitored my heart rate and I sustain a 190+ pulse for 30 minutes
during the run I do, and a 160 pulse during the warm up and cool down
periods gradually incrementing from 70. I can't use heart rate monitors
unless they're very good quality - most simply don't have the resolution for
anything over 170 bpm.

Old May 26th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.running
Dot

Len A. wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has experience this.

Recently I was told my blood pressure was "high normal" ...137/88. I am
a sixty year old man and run / jog 35 miles a week.

So in order to monitor my blood pressure I bought a monitor and take it
often....like a new toy.

Now this is something I found to be odd. The pamphlet says before taking
blood pressure "relax for 5 minutes".....but for the hell of it I took
it after a run....my pulse was up but the blood pressure was
low.....120/ 74. I've done this more than once with the same results.

I've been running nearly 20 years and wondering if blood pressure
numbers would be different for runners?

Len

BP varies through the day and in response to exercise and any number of
things, like being in doctor's office. If a doctor wants your blood
pressure monitored, he'll tell you to do it under an assortment of
conditions and times of day (at least mine did, in contrast to what the
pamphlet said). Runners are still human and the same guidelines as to
what's good and bad *usually* apply.

FWIW, my doctor told me the old standard was 140/90, but newer standards
are "too high" 135-140/85-90 with "ideal" being 120-125/75-80.

Dot

--
"The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury."
- John Hardy

Old May 27th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.running
Al Bundy

Len A. wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has experience this.

Recently I was told my blood pressure was "high normal" ...137/88. I am
a sixty year old man and run / jog 35 miles a week.

So in order to monitor my blood pressure I bought a monitor and take it
often....like a new toy.

Now this is something I found to be odd. The pamphlet says before taking
blood pressure "relax for 5 minutes".....but for the hell of it I took
it after a run....my pulse was up but the blood pressure was
low.....120/ 74. I've done this more than once with the same results.

I've been running nearly 20 years and wondering if blood pressure
numbers would be different for runners?

Len

I've been in that high normal or above range for years and getting
worse despite running twice the mileage you are. I cut the sodium
almost out of the diet and in three weeks the numbers are constently
in the 115/65 area. I tried this many years ago and it produced no
such favorable effect. It's certainly worth testing if you have not
already.

Old May 27th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.running
Eigenvector

"Dot" wrote in message
Len A. wrote:
[...]

I had that same discussion with my cardiologist before getting my
prescription for controling blood pressure. His generic take on BP is that
lower is better, 120/80 is nice, but 110/60 is better and so on and so
forth - he seemed to think that 120/80 was the starting point not the ending
point. His point is that there isn't a single "target" number to shoot for,
but rather the aim should be to reduce it as much as you can through diet
and exercise. Barring that medication to drop it to 120/80 or as close as
you can would be the backup plan.

Again my take on the poster's situation is that he simply wasn't getting an
accurate reading (or maybe representative reading would be a better way to
say it).

Old May 27th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.running
Mark and Christine

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:
I will have to ask the ER doc the next time I am in and
think about it but my guess is that you are experiencing
"cardiovascular shunting." In a nutshell, your body is
diverting blood away from unused muscles to the muscles in
your body that are under heavy load, just like in
hypovolemic shock. Your arms don't need bood, so it is
being shunted away from them.

I don't see how this would be physically possible.

Less blood flow, same diameter pipes - lower

http://www.bodytrends.com/articles/b...ssureomron.htm

Blood Pressure Function and Control, 2nd paragraph

Discusses shunting and exercise, but not exactly what is being
discussed here. This guy says the pipes get smaller causing
the blood pressure to go up, but I believe he is describing
the system (the whole body) not the arm.
Old May 27th 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.running
nonick

Len,

I have noticed the same about blood pressure readings as you.

IMHO : Your blood pressure reading will be slightly lower when you
finish a run because your blood vessels have dilated allowing better
flow. This is not unusual.

If you measure your pressure while running as in a stress test, your
systolic pressure will be high and your diastolic slightly low.

Sanjay

Old May 27th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.running
Doug Freese

"Len A." wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone has experience this.

Recently I was told my blood pressure was "high normal" ...137/88. I
am
a sixty year old man and run / jog 35 miles a week.

I can't speak for you but many people feel some anxiety when BP is taken
in the office, especially a cardio office, and your numers can be
skewed. When you are relaxed and in you own home, it may be much less.

So in order to monitor my blood pressure I bought a monitor and take
it
often....like a new toy.
Now this is something I found to be odd. The pamphlet says before
taking
blood pressure "relax for 5 minutes".....but for the hell of it I took
it after a run....my pulse was up but the blood pressure was
low.....120/ 74. I've done this more than once with the same results.

Some in fact are just a blip above a toy and give questionable numbers.
If you could take your BP gear to the doc's office and have the nurse
take your BP with both, you would then have a baseline of accuracy.

I've been running nearly 20 years and wondering if blood pressure
numbers would be different for runners?

Yup, and like you I'm 60+ !

-Doug

Ping: David Cohen - blood pressure cuff advice? spodosaurus Weights 36 October 19th 05 04:54 AM
blood pressure amph Running 23 February 23rd 05 09:54 PM
Is the info on the Clarence Bass site good? 223rem Weights 6 August 7th 04 07:13 PM
isometric hand exercise and systolic blood pressure [email protected] Weights 2 July 31st 04 12:47 AM
blood pressure Larry McCarty Running 4 February 29th 04 02:01 PM