Seated Chest Press vs Smith Machine Bench Press

Old February 3rd 08, 05:31 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Bob Feduniak

Default Seated Chest Press vs Smith Machine Bench Press

I'd appreciate any info re which muscles are more/less involved in
each of these exercises. It seems like they should work the same
muscles, but the two exercises feel very different--especially with
heavy weights, and I can't figure out why.

Thank you,

Bob Feduniak
Old February 3rd 08, 05:40 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Burr

"Bob Feduniak" wrote in message
I'd appreciate any info re which muscles are more/less involved in
each of these exercises. It seems like they should work the same
muscles, but the two exercises feel very different--especially with
heavy weights, and I can't figure out why.

Thank you,

Bob Feduniak

"I THINK"

You have three Bench Presses, same muscles, inclined, declined and flat.
You have two seated "chest" presses to the chest and behind the neck to the
shoulders, same muscles I think just a different angle.

I do all the above once a week.

Burr

Old February 3rd 08, 06:12 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Curt

On Feb 3, 12:31 am, Bob Feduniak wrote:

re Seated Chest Press vs Smith Machine Bench Press

I'd appreciate any info re which muscles are more/less involved in
each of these exercises. It seems like they should work the same
muscles, but the two exercises feel very different--especially with
heavy weights, and I can't figure out why.

Thank you,

Bob Feduniak

Seated Chest Press? You mean a flat bench with an Olympic bar versus a
Smith Bench?

The latter takes the balancing part out of the equation. All you do is
press up and lower the weight which makes it feel a lot easier than
handling an Olympic bar with plates on it.

Define "heavy weights."

Heck define "Seated Chest Press."

Regardless, the Smith Machine makes things easier because it does part
of the "work" for you.

Old February 3rd 08, 07:22 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
rev

--

My assumption is that a seated chest press is in a machine, not a bench
press free weight. If I am right they are totally different lifts except
Old February 3rd 08, 08:06 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
spodosaurus

Bob Feduniak wrote:
I'd appreciate any info re which muscles are more/less involved in
each of these exercises. It seems like they should work the same
muscles, but the two exercises feel very different--especially with
heavy weights, and I can't figure out why.

Thank you,

Bob Feduniak

What is a seated chest press according to you? In other words: what is
the exact machine you're using?

Aside from different positioning of the "bar" on the chest, the smith
machine forces you into a linear motion that is none to flash for the
shoulders. Just use a barbell.

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old February 3rd 08, 08:07 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
spodosaurus

Burr wrote:
"Bob Feduniak" wrote in message
I'd appreciate any info re which muscles are more/less involved in
each of these exercises. It seems like they should work the same
muscles, but the two exercises feel very different--especially with
heavy weights, and I can't figure out why.

Thank you,

Bob Feduniak

"I THINK"

You have three Bench Presses, same muscles, inclined, declined and flat.
You have two seated "chest" presses to the chest and behind the neck to the
shoulders, same muscles I think just a different angle.

Ummm, what are you talking about?

I do all the above once a week.

Burr

Old February 3rd 08, 08:23 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Curt

On Feb 3, 3:06 am, spodosaurus wrote:
[...]

Aside from different positioning of the "bar" on the chest, the smith
machine forces you into a linear motion that is none to flash for the
shoulders. Just use a barbell.

[...]

Ari, point me to the definitive PubMedley type text that says the
Smith machine is harmful to ANY bodypart. Thx!

Old February 3rd 08, 08:28 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights

"Curt" wrote in message
On Feb 3, 3:06 am, spodosaurus wrote:
[...]

Aside from different positioning of the "bar" on the chest, the smith
machine forces you into a linear motion that is none to flash for the
shoulders. Just use a barbell.

[...]

Ari, point me to the definitive PubMedley type text that says the
Smith machine is harmful to ANY bodypart. Thx!

I think Ari may have a point as the biomechanics of the smith machine are
linear and not right for presses and shoulder work - I think all the latest
gym machines work in an arc of some type.
trust me

Old February 3rd 08, 09:59 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Burr

"Curt"
Regardless, the Smith Machine makes things easier because it does part
of the "work" for you.

--

I don't like the Smith Machine, it makes me feel off balance.
I like free weights (if you ever bought them you won't think "free")

Burr

Old February 3rd 08, 10:03 AM posted to misc.fitness.weights
Burr

"David" wrote in message
u...

"Curt" wrote in message
On Feb 3, 3:06 am, spodosaurus wrote:
[...]

Aside from different positioning of the "bar" on the chest, the smith
machine forces you into a linear motion that is none to flash for the
shoulders. Just use a barbell.

[...]

Ari, point me to the definitive PubMedley type text that says the
Smith machine is harmful to ANY bodypart. Thx!

I think Ari may have a point as the biomechanics of the smith machine are
linear and not right for presses and shoulder work - I think all the
latest gym machines work in an arc of some type.
trust me

--

"I Think" that the Smith Machine was for squats only!

I still prefer the "Squat Rack" when I'm by myself or just open stands when
we are "squatting off"

Burr