Please help me understand pre & post workout meals (Lyle, if you're there, I need your advice!!!)

Old February 1st 04, 05:18 AM
Christy

Default Please help me understand pre & post workout meals (Lyle, if you're there, I need your advice!!!)

Hi!!

I workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, starting
with weights, following with 30 - 60 minutes of cardio. I've been
doing a lot of reading in the past few weeks, and I've become very
confused as to best practices for pre & post workout nutrition. My
immediate goal is to drop body fat, as I'm training to compete in
figure competitions this summer.

Here's my situation….
1. I understand that muscles need to be refueled immediately after
lifting and that more fat is burned if cardio is performed on an empty
stomach. What's the best way to settle this conflict? Would I be
better off doing my cardio first and weights second? Do I need to
take anything in between or during exercise?

2. I wake at 5:30 so that I'm at the gym by 6, so there's no chance
that I'm getting up any earlier to consume a pre-workout meal. What
are my other options (assuming that was what you were going to
suggest)?

3. I take my breakfast with me and eat/drink it on the way to work.
Can you suggest any MRP or recipes that meet these qualifications and
my lifestyle?

Thank you so much for your help, and I apologize if this has been
addressed in past postings!!

Christy
Old February 2nd 04, 02:12 AM
Hugh Beyer

(Christy) wrote in
om:

Hi!!

I workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, starting
with weights, following with 30 - 60 minutes of cardio. I've been
doing a lot of reading in the past few weeks, and I've become very
confused as to best practices for pre & post workout nutrition. My
immediate goal is to drop body fat, as I'm training to compete in
figure competitions this summer.

Here's my situation?.
1. I understand that muscles need to be refueled immediately after
lifting and that more fat is burned if cardio is performed on an empty
stomach. What's the best way to settle this conflict? Would I be
better off doing my cardio first and weights second? Do I need to
take anything in between or during exercise?

Cardio on an empty stomach is mostly myth. "Refueling" muscles is imprecise
but not myth. High-GI carbs and protien, in theory, get your system back into a
growth state faster. But half an hour isn't going to make much difference--just do
your cardio, then eat.

2. I wake at 5:30 so that I'm at the gym by 6, so there's no chance
that I'm getting up any earlier to consume a pre-workout meal. What
are my other options (assuming that was what you were going to
suggest)?

Me too. If you don't need it, don't worry about eating before. If you feel all weak
and trembly some kind of high GI drink or snack might work.

3. I take my breakfast with me and eat/drink it on the way to work.
Can you suggest any MRP or recipes that meet these qualifications and
my lifestyle?

Sports drink/protein drink maybe. But I'd skip it.

Hugh

--
Help! My myofibrillar material is disorganized!

Old February 2nd 04, 04:13 AM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , Christy wrote:
Hi!!

I workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, starting
with weights, following with 30 - 60 minutes of cardio. I've been
doing a lot of reading in the past few weeks, and I've become very
confused as to best practices for pre & post workout nutrition. My
immediate goal is to drop body fat, as I'm training to compete in
figure competitions this summer.

Here's my situation….
1. I understand that muscles need to be refueled immediately after
lifting and that more fat is burned if cardio is performed on an empty
stomach. What's the best way to settle this conflict?

It doesn't matter what macronutrient you burn during workouts. At the end of
the day, if you are short of calories (caloric deficit), your body will work
out a way to pay the balance in stored fat.

Would I be better off doing my cardio first and weights second? Do I need to
take anything in between or during exercise?

Weights first. You can't do a good job at lifting weights when you're tired.
Doing weights will affect your performance in cardio, but most cardio workouts
are submaximal anyway, so the fact that you can't go 100% is moot if the workout
isn't close to 100% effort. With more demanding cardio workouts (intervals,
competitions, etc) you should schedule weights in a separate session.

2. I wake at 5:30 so that I'm at the gym by 6, so there's no chance
that I'm getting up any earlier to consume a pre-workout meal. What
are my other options (assuming that was what you were going to
suggest)?

You can still consume high glycemic index carbs at that time. For example, I
usually take a bagel before a hard interval training session or a race (I run
distance races). Another option would be to have half a sports drink, and
continue to sip on the drink during your weights session.

3. I take my breakfast with me and eat/drink it on the way to work.
Can you suggest any MRP or recipes that meet these qualifications and
my lifestyle?

Bagels, some fruits, protein shakes (mix them then bottle them), nuts. Watch
the portion sizes of the bagels and nuts -- a bagel has about 50gm carbs (so
it may be better to just eat half depending on your requirements), and nuts get
high in calories really quickly if you eat them in quantity.

MRPs are usually overpriced -- partly because they're more packaging-intensive
I think. You're paying a lot of money for more granular packaging + some sugar
+ a multivitamin. Better IMO to just take a multivitamin, and buy whey powder
in bulk. The two favourites here are Optimum Nutrition and Prolab.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

Workout routine advice Matt Weights 0 December 14th 03 03:35 PM
steam room and cold plunge post workout Adam Lipschultz Weights 6 July 14th 03 07:20 PM
Post workout nutrition much more important? JG Weights 4 July 13th 03 05:28 PM