Chwarel Y Fan - two questions.

Old June 1st 09, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Tim Jackson

Default Chwarel Y Fan - two questions.

On Sun, 31 May 2009 14:06:23 -0700 (PDT), Mark wrote...
Walking along the Brecon Way path around Chwarel Y Fan we noticed a
"gravestone-esq" stone lying right by the path.

He
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/Imgp5960.jpg

The text is badly erroded, anyone tell me what it is? We wondered if
it was
a disance marker or a tombstone. Neither seems likely.

I'd guess the first two characters of the top line might be 'Mr' and
the
four characters on the bottom right might 1895 which might be
consistent
with a tombstone.

Looks like a boundary stone. I don't recall seeing this one, despite
the fact that I was on Chwarel y Fan just a few weeks ago.

There are two very similar boundary stones side by side on Pen Twyn
Glas, which is somewhat further west. John and Anne Nuttall have a
drawing of them in 'The Mountains of Endland and Wales'. They say
"Three hundred yards further north [of the top of Pen Twyn Glas] a
slight rise is crowned with what appears to be a pair of gravestones.
These are in fact boundary stones and are marked with the names of Mrs
Macnamara 1811 and DINAS Sir J Bailey Bart MP 1847. The Macnamaras
owned much land around here in the mid 1800s."

Based on that, I'd guess that the name on your Chwarel y Fan stone is
also Mrs (or Mr) Macnamara.

Photos of the Pen Twyn Glas stones he
http://www.pontarddulaiswalkingclub.com/141_4118.JPG
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/646603
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/ww/bms/bms.html (scroll two-thirds of
the way down the page).

Elsewhere, the Nuttalls say that John Macnamara was supposed to have won
the estate gambling.

They also say that the track over the head of the Grwyne Fechan valley
was reputedly constructed by him in order to visit his mistress, who was
secreted at the Hermitage (just below Pen Twyn Glas). While looking for
the photos above, I came across a page on the Guardian website which
repeated that, and also claimed that Macnamara was a member of the
infamous Hell Fire Club!

--
Tim Jackson
lid
Old June 1st 09, 05:03 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Tim Jackson wrote:

Photos of the Pen Twyn Glas stones he
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/ww/bms/bms.html (scroll two-thirds

Oops!

You picked a really bad time to quote that link...

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.uk-rec-walking.co.uk

Old June 1st 09, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Tim Jackson

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 05:03:40 +0100, Paul Saunders wrote...
Tim Jackson wrote:

Photos of the Pen Twyn Glas stones he
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/ww/bms/bms.html (scroll two-thirds

Oops!

You picked a really bad time to quote that link...

You mean you really are working on your website this time? :-)

The photo is here, unless you move it before I post. But to read the
inscriptions, Mark will have to wait for the snow to melt:
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/ww/bms/16bms75.jpg

Old June 1st 09, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Tim Jackson wrote:

You mean you really are working on your website this time? :-)

Yep! I've been working on if for some time, but doing my "endless tweaking"
thing, and never being satisfied that it's perfect. But I decided that it
was time to take the plunge, espcially since it coincided with the 10th
anniversary of my site, so for better or worse, it's online now and I'll
continue to work on it while it's live. Which will probably motivate me a
lot more.

The photo is here, unless you move it before I post. But to read the
inscriptions, Mark will have to wait for the snow to melt:
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/ww/bms/16bms75.jpg

Yes, all the old content is still online at the moment, I've just added the
new site, I haven't deleted any of the old stuff yet. I've redirected most
of the old pages (except for the urw section) to the new ones, but the
images and other files are still accessible with direct URLs if you know
what they are. I'll wait until I've reformated all the old content before
doing a cleanup and trashing the old site.

Of course, you may still see the old pages if they're in your cache. Press
Control-F5 for each page to clear your cache and the see the new pages.

Paul

Questions Prisoner at War Weights 16 June 4th 07 01:49 PM
Questions [email protected] Weights 0 May 23rd 07 06:46 PM
Questions [email protected] Weights 0 May 23rd 07 06:46 PM
WillBrink - Another Right Wing Coward Who Evades Questions With Questions. WillBrink Weights 1 June 25th 05 09:04 PM
Questions, questions, this time Pentlands Flat Earth Society Walking in the UK 3 September 23rd 04 11:08 AM