Bowflex, Crossbow, Schwinn

Old February 8th 04, 06:35 AM
Tom

Default Bowflex, Crossbow, Schwinn

Hello, All,
Well, it's tax refund time, and my wife has given me permission to buy a
home gym!! I am intrigued by the bowflex, and noticed at a sporting goods
store that there is now a Schwinn Bowflex out, as well as the Weider
Crossbow. From what I've read online, it seems that the crossbow is a
decent machine, but I wanted to ask first. Does anyone have experience with
any of these 3 machines? How do they rate? Is it worth it to pay more for
the Schwinn or the Bowflex, or is the Weider an awesome deal? I look
forward to hearing comments/advice.

Many thanks,
Tom

Old February 8th 04, 07:07 AM
John M. Williams

"Tom" wrote:

Hello, All,
Well, it's tax refund time, and my wife has given me permission to buy a
home gym!! I am intrigued by the bowflex, and noticed at a sporting goods
store that there is now a Schwinn Bowflex out, as well as the Weider
Crossbow. From what I've read online, it seems that the crossbow is a
decent machine, but I wanted to ask first. Does anyone have experience with
any of these 3 machines? How do they rate? Is it worth it to pay more for
the Schwinn or the Bowflex, or is the Weider an awesome deal? I look
forward to hearing comments/advice.

Sorry, but this is misc.fitness.weights, not
misc.fitness.plasticsticks.

Get yourself a power cage, an adjustable bench, and 300-pound Olympic
weight set. In the end, you'll be glad you did.
Old February 8th 04, 07:20 AM
terryandohio

"John M. Williams" wrote in message
"Tom" wrote:

Hello, All,
Well, it's tax refund time, and my wife has given me permission to buy a
home gym!! I am intrigued by the bowflex, and noticed at a sporting

goods
store that there is now a Schwinn Bowflex out, as well as the Weider
Crossbow. From what I've read online, it seems that the crossbow is a
decent machine, but I wanted to ask first. Does anyone have experience

with
any of these 3 machines? How do they rate? Is it worth it to pay more

for
the Schwinn or the Bowflex, or is the Weider an awesome deal? I look
forward to hearing comments/advice.

Sorry, but this is misc.fitness.weights, not
misc.fitness.plasticsticks.

Get yourself a power cage, an adjustable bench, and 300-pound Olympic
weight set.

which should be enough to cause some bar bending...
because if the bar aint bending...

(props to deepsquatter)

whit

In the end, you'll be glad you did.

Old February 8th 04, 10:28 AM
Lee Michaels

"Tom" wrote in message
Hello, All,
Well, it's tax refund time, and my wife has given me permission to buy a
home gym!! I am intrigued by the bowflex, and noticed at a sporting goods
store that there is now a Schwinn Bowflex out, as well as the Weider
Crossbow. From what I've read online, it seems that the crossbow is a
decent machine, but I wanted to ask first. Does anyone have experience

with
any of these 3 machines? How do they rate? Is it worth it to pay more

for
the Schwinn or the Bowflex, or is the Weider an awesome deal? I look
forward to hearing comments/advice.

Let me clarify this for you.

In the ads that portray the above junk, you see weight trained indivduals
with superior genetics whoring themselves for the gullible morons who watch
TV. These stupid folks think those bendy things actually had someething to
do with the bodies of the models used.

Around here, folks actually do real work, using real weights and get real
results.

See the difference?

Old February 8th 04, 01:58 PM
KennyCrox

Hello, All,
Well, it's tax refund time, and my wife has given me permission to buy a
home gym!! I am intrigued by the bowflex, and noticed at a sporting goods
store that there is now a Schwinn Bowflex out, as well as the Weider
Crossbow.

Tom, the reason Schwinn now makes one is that Nautilus (Direct Focus) owns
Bowflex and Schwinn. The Weider is probably make by ICON, who makes most of
Weider's equipment. Weider then rubber stamps their name on ICONs manchine.
ICON is notorious for making inferior equipment.

From what I've read online, it seems that the crossbow is a
decent machine, but I wanted to ask first.

All of these machine operate off "variable resistance," which is a good
training method. However, all of these machine are poorly make...meaning you
are paying for more and getting less.

Does anyone have experience with
any of these 3 machines? How do they rate? Is it worth it to pay more for
the Schwinn or the Bowflex, or is the Weider an awesome deal? I look
forward to hearing comments/advice.

I have experience with the Bowflex. We sell the Bowflex where I work...or
should I say people buy them, we don't try to sell them. We have had them for
about a year now.

I am not the only one who has problems with the construction of Bowflex. They
have been recalled.

"So far 70 people have been injured. The models being recalled are the Bowflex
Power Pro XL, XTL, and the XTLU." 7Online.com: Massive Recall On Bowflex
Exercise Machines
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/WAB...xmachines.html

You can find out more about the recall by going to google and typing in "recall
on Bowflex."

I promise you that Crossbow and Schwinn are the same quality as the
Bowflex...which is NOT good.

Kenny

Old February 8th 04, 02:38 PM
William Brink

In article ,
"Tom" wrote:

Hello, All,
Well, it's tax refund time, and my wife has given me permission to buy a
home gym!! I am intrigued by the bowflex,

Then you watch too much TV.

and noticed at a sporting goods
store that there is now a Schwinn Bowflex out, as well as the Weider
Crossbow. From what I've read online, it seems that the crossbow is a
decent machine, but I wanted to ask first. Does anyone have experience with
any of these 3 machines? How do they rate? Is it worth it to pay more for
the Schwinn or the Bowflex, or is the Weider an awesome deal? I look
forward to hearing comments/advice.

Buy a flat bench, a set up dumbells, an olympic bar and selection of
weights. If you want to go all out, get a power cage. Done.

Many thanks,
Tom

--
Will Brink

http://www.brinkzone.com/
http://musclebuildingnutrition.com/
http://www.aboutsupplements.com/

Old February 8th 04, 04:21 PM
xahrx

"Tom" wrote in
:

Hello, All,
Well, it's tax refund time, and my wife has given me permission to buy
a home gym!! I am intrigued by the bowflex, and noticed at a sporting
goods store that there is now a Schwinn Bowflex out, as well as the
Weider Crossbow.

First, ignore the snotty responses. The problem is all three machines
are overpriced and are poor quality. They'll be somewhat effective *if*
you use them regularly.

You're better off with one of the two following approaches. One, you can
buy a weight bench, a dumbbell set, a barbell for olympic or standard
weights and some weights to go with it for far less money *and* get a
better workout from this than from any of the machines. Look at
www.exrx.net for some idea of how many exercises can be done with a
simple set of free weights. A complete workout isn't a matter of having
a fancy machine, it's a matter of knowledge, planning, gaining experience
and having the discipline to stick with it.

Two, the price of even the cheapest of those machines is usually enough
to suffice for a solid year or two membership in a decent gym, which will
likely include access to a greater variety of machines and perhaps even a
personal trainer here and there to help you better utilize the
facilities.

What you do really will depend on your goals. If you want fat loss go
with option one but substitute an aerobic exercise machine for the weight
bench and watch your diet. Or better yet, just g jogging regularly if
you can and save the money. Option two will likely also include access
to a lot of such machines. Bottom line, don't spend the money until you
have a solid idea of what you want to accomplish, and when it is time to
spend it don't spend it on any of those machines, you can get better and
more effective equipment for a *lot* less, no matter what your goals are.
You don't need to spend money to get into shape, you do need discipline
and hard work. A lot of people find those two things harder to come by
than an extra sixteen hundred or so for some fancy machine but in
reality, they're a lot less expensive.

Or look at it this way: those machines are fancy rubber bands packaged
very nicely and advertized like crazy. You can easily buy a set of
resistance bands and with a modest amount of effort accomplish all the
same exercises for less than two hundred dollars, and they'll fold up and
store even easier than the machines.

So first decide what it is your goals are, then spend what little money
it will take to reach them.

--
Yrs,
Richard H. Araujo
Old February 8th 04, 05:07 PM
Mark Downing

"Tom" wrote in message
Hello, All,
Well, it's tax refund time, and my wife has given me permission to buy a
home gym!! I am intrigued by the bowflex, and noticed at a sporting goods
store that there is now a Schwinn Bowflex out, as well as the Weider
Crossbow. From what I've read online, it seems that the crossbow is a
decent machine, but I wanted to ask first. Does anyone have experience

with
any of these 3 machines? How do they rate? Is it worth it to pay more

for
the Schwinn or the Bowflex, or is the Weider an awesome deal? I look
forward to hearing comments/advice.

Many thanks,
Tom

Tom, Tom, Tom...

You would be much better off with something like this:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/92563.html = $259

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/5950.html = $199

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/im-5311.html = $95

Total = $533 + shipping

About what a Crossbow would cost and you would have a set up that sould take
you a long way. You could take the rest of your tax rebate and put it in
your saving account and spend it on good quality food later as you get
hungry.

Old February 8th 04, 05:14 PM
Dave S.

Well, it's tax refund time, and my wife has given me permission to buy a
home gym!!

Unbelievable that folks are still doing this. Adjust your w4 so that you
can get your money now. what is with that???

Old February 9th 04, 01:11 AM
Brux Brule

"Tom" wrote in message
Hello, All,
Well, it's tax refund time, and my wife has given me permission to buy a
home gym!! I am intrigued by the bowflex, and noticed at a sporting goods
store that there is now a Schwinn Bowflex out, as well as the Weider
Crossbow. From what I've read online, it seems that the crossbow is a
decent machine, but I wanted to ask first. Does anyone have experience

with
any of these 3 machines? How do they rate? Is it worth it to pay more

for
the Schwinn or the Bowflex, or is the Weider an awesome deal? I look
forward to hearing comments/advice.

Many thanks,
Tom

Do yourself a favour Tom, forget all those "rod" type contraptions. Get
this:

1. Power Rack;
2. Flat/Incline/Decline bench;
3. Olympic bar with 300 lbs (comes as a set);
4. 2 x Dumbbells with 200 lbs;

To get the best bang for your buck, the money you'd spend on the crap you
listed you could get a pretty decent "real" gym.

--
Brux Brule (hard core & old school)

"Quit your whining, shut up and train."