Need weightlifting advice for a beginner...

Old March 29th 04, 10:14 AM
Xexx

Default Need weightlifting advice for a beginner...

I need advice on how I should lift weights (reps, etc) I'm 18 years old,
6'7 tall, and weigh 273 pounds (wishing more of it was muscle) and am in
good health except for being overweight. I haven't ever really lifted
weights before and was wondering what is a good 'system' to start off
with... (I'm also not very familiar with the terminology of weight lifting)
I'd been exercising (sit ups, pushups, and a few other exercises) before bed
at night, sometimes during the day, and watching what I eat for the last
couple weeks... So far I think I've lost a couple pounds and would like to
keep it up and go even further and start to bulk up some, so can anyone
suggest what I should start off with? I don't really have access to a gym
because I live out in the country, but we do have a weight bench with a few
different accessories (leg bar, bar attached overhead pulley system, as I
said I'm not familiar with the terminology)

Old March 29th 04, 03:26 PM
Wayne S. Hill

Xexx wrote:

[...]

Read everything at Krista's site (ignore the emphasis on
chyx):

http://www.stumptuous.com/weight.html

Look at exercise selections at

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Keep it simple at first: do a few exercises that work lots of
muscles at the same time (squats, bench press, deadlift,
pullup/chinups/pulldowns, shoulder press, rowing).

And: find a highland games in your area. You'd be a natural.

--
-Wayne

Old March 29th 04, 03:38 PM
Bob Falooley

NO-SPAM wrote:

[...]

Read the beginner pages he

http://www.engr.mun.ca/~butt/training/training.html

How many pushups can you do at one time?

--Falooley

Old March 31st 04, 12:12 AM
Neal Fabian

"Xexx" wrote in message ...
[...]

You need a program, not a routine with sporadic advice. You need
something that's confusion proof. I've written one, I think it's the
best out there. It's completely free, you don't have to join
anything, no BS, and you'll love it. Fire up your printer and get
started.

___________________________________

HOW GOOD CAN YOU GET? is now up on my website, in NEW STUFF, on the
cover page. Check it out. Also, I have a new B&W addition to my
gallery, by a terrific photographer who is new to physique art. It's
in ABSOLUTELY...PART II.

My training program, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT
DEVELOPING YOUR BODY, is up on my website.

Neal Fabian
visit my website; BIO, PHOTOS & ARTICLES
training advice and much more -- come by and meet me
http://hometown.aol.com/nfabian/myhomepage/index.html