Aerobic exercise + pushups

Old August 10th 03, 07:32 PM
S.T.

Default Aerobic exercise + pushups

Back in Feb. I began doing pushups daily along with my treadmill work. When
I first started out, I could only do about 3 pushups with proper form. Now I
can do 55 straight with proper form each day. However, I wonder if I should
only be doing the pushups every other day? Would I get more muscle
development by skipping at least one day in between pushup sets--like
training muscles via weightlifting exercises? The pushups coupled with the
aerobic exercise has definitely cut up some upper body fat that I wanted to
shed, but I want to make sure that I'm approaching the pushups aspect of my
workout routine properly. Yes, I should have asked this question a long time
ago. I realize that now--but at least I have seen some very noticeable,
positive results by doing the pushups daily up to this point...

S.T.

Old August 10th 03, 10:43 PM
Isiafs5

However, I wonder if I should
only be doing the pushups every other day?

I would. Muscles need rest to grow.

You might consider adding weight such as a little kid to develop more power, or
after 6 weeks you could have a change of pace by switching to the bench
press..its similar.

Sling Skate

My recommended reading for body fat control:
http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/drsquat/fredzig.htm

Old August 12th 03, 08:06 AM
SPeacock

"S.T." wrote:

Back in Feb. I began doing pushups daily along with my treadmill work. When
I first started out, I could only do about 3 pushups with proper form. Now I
can do 55 straight with proper form each day. However, I wonder if I should
only be doing the pushups every other day? Would I get more muscle
development by skipping at least one day in between pushup sets--like
training muscles via weightlifting exercises? The pushups coupled with the
aerobic exercise has definitely cut up some upper body fat that I wanted to
shed, but I want to make sure that I'm approaching the pushups aspect of my
workout routine properly. Yes, I should have asked this question a long time
ago. I realize that now--but at least I have seen some very noticeable,
positive results by doing the pushups daily up to this point...

S.T.

You have to change the routine. 55 pushups is impressive. What that means is
that your pushup muscles are well developed. Your pull up muscles are probably
really a bunch of wimps. So are the squat muscles for that matter. And who
knows about what your lats look like...when is the last time you took them out
for a spin? There are a bunch of muscles in your body - why favor just a 1/2
dozen or so with pushups.

If you want muscles - MUSCLES - you might consider fewer reps and more
resistance.

Your body will quickly (relatively) become accustomed to the stress put on it.
This is why, for example, construction workers who are very active all day long
have all the same diseases that a sedentary worker has. An office worker who
'works out' frequently can be in better fitness health than a heavy duty outside
'down and dirty' worker. The construction worker's muscles get 'used' to
picking up and putting down and walking around...just like your pushups. He
gets fat and dies of high blood pressure, cholesterol and other ills just like
the couch potato. A recent study (I can probably dig it up with some time)
indicated that the active construction worker should be visiting the gym (or
equivalent) just like the rest of us.

Take a day off from doing pushups and use that day to exercise other muscles by
properly throwing a bunch of different weights around at a gym. Variety is the
spice of life.

Old August 13th 03, 05:28 AM
S.T.

"SPeacock" wrote in message

"S.T." wrote:

[...]

What an ARROGANT f'in response!!! You need to get the foreskin out of your
collar. Maybe then you wouldn't be so uptight.

S.T.

Old September 16th 03, 04:39 AM
Blondie

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:06:15 GMT, SPeacock
wrote:

"S.T." wrote:

[...]

That's probably due to bad diet, eating too much, or maybe he's not
really as active as he appears if he's spending most of his time
operating a crane, forklift, etc. Also, a lot of people in that line
of work end up with injuries or illnesses that push them into a
sedentary lifestyle when they retire or quit.

Old September 19th 03, 07:25 AM
Van Bagnol

In article ,
"S.T." wrote:

Back in Feb. I began doing pushups daily along with my treadmill work. When
I first started out, I could only do about 3 pushups with proper form. Now I
can do 55 straight with proper form each day. However, I wonder if I should
only be doing the pushups every other day? Would I get more muscle
development by skipping at least one day in between pushup sets--like
training muscles via weightlifting exercises?

If you are up to 55 pushups, you've probably plateau'ed and will have
little further strength or size improvement. What you are doing now is
conditioning your pectorals and arms for stamina. For sizeable gains,
you'd have to increase the resistance such as doing pushups with a
weighted backpack, or by doing bona fide bench presses and dumbbell
flyes; the advantages there are that you'd be both exercising over a
greater range of motion and putting the surrounding stabilizing muscles
to use. And yes, if you are working with higher loads once again, it
would be better to allow your muscles 48 hours recovery time.

It _is_ possible to up the resistive forces by doing pushups faster, but
there's a limit to even that. I can pop off perhaps 128 pushups in one
set, in proper form, but my pecs aren't going to get significantly
bigger doing that unless I constantly push to failure (the first 120 are
easy, it's the last eight that are hard), but it's more effective just
to do 3x8 flyes or bench presses with a larger weight.

The pushups coupled with the aerobic exercise has definitely cut up
some upper body fat that I wanted to shed, but I want to make sure
that I'm approaching the pushups aspect of my workout routine
properly.

I think it's the aerobics that's significantly reducing the body fat.
Doing 55 pushups in perfect form is the caloric equivalent to climbing
about five flights of stairs[*] -- a fair load of work, but a drop in
the bucket as far as burning calories is concerned. You probably made a
noticeable initial gain in pec size if you had gone from only three
pushups initially, but there's no such thing as spot reducing (otherwise
tennis players would have one fat arm and one lean arm), so the pushups
contributed marginally to overall fat reduction although your definition
benefited from the size increase.

So if you want to continue sculpting a "V" shape you'd have to continue
the aerobics work to shed the fat, do chest exercises with higher loads,
and do some back exercises to build the latissimus dorsi. Good luck and
keep it up.

Van
[*] You travel 16-18 inches pressing 2/3 of your body weight in a
perfect standard pushup, thus, the work of one pushup is roughly
equivalent to lifting your body 1 foot higher. YMMV.

--
Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com
....enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing / Skydiving / Mountain Biking
Old July 14th 05, 09:21 PM
billybhoy billybhoy is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.T.
Back in Feb. I began doing pushups daily along with my treadmill work. When
I first started out, I could only do about 3 pushups with proper form. Now I
can do 55 straight with proper form each day. However, I wonder if I should
only be doing the pushups every other day? Would I get more muscle
development by skipping at least one day in between pushup sets--like
training muscles via weightlifting exercises? The pushups coupled with the
aerobic exercise has definitely cut up some upper body fat that I wanted to
shed, but I want to make sure that I'm approaching the pushups aspect of my
workout routine properly. Yes, I should have asked this question a long time
ago. I realize that now--but at least I have seen some very noticeable,
positive results by doing the pushups daily up to this point...

S.T.
S.T - pushups are a great exercise but as your body adapts you need to try new variations. There are many good books on bodyweight conditioning (Matt Furey, Pavel Tsatsouline, Ross Enamait) which will give countless variations and other exercises for you to work on to develop your entire body. I'd also recommend adding some resistance now that you have reached a decent level. An excellent method for doing this is the power pushup 2 from Lifeline USA which can be used to add anything up to 300lbs resistance to your pushups (no one in the world can do the 300lbs) meaning that you can once again use them to develop strength as well as endurance.
Old July 18th 05, 10:02 AM
Merlin

Im not an expert on matters of physical training, however as far as push ups
are concerened, ive been doing them now on a regular basis. Im in the
Australian Army and they usually use push ups as a quick means to wear you
out etc.

As a result I try to train regularly doing pushups, from what I can gather
after a workout having rest is important, so if youre going to hammer
yourself with pushups oneday it'll pay to have rest for a day or so.
But I find the big assistance to getting better at pushups is doing
variations to regular ones so that after regular pushups become so easy.
For example one of my favourite methods for getting better at pushups is to
use 3 chairs so that you're elevated off the floor, use a chair for each
hand and then one for your legs,, this allows you to lower your body further
where as normally you'd hit the floor, I found that where I could do 50
regular pushups id only be able to do 10-15 on the chairs at first. Also
inclining yourself so that your feet are inclined upwards is another way,,
i.e. feet on chair and hands on phone books or similar.
Then also try having your hands close together,, this works out the triceps
more so. A favourite of PT instructors is while doing pushups,, pump out
good few then stay in the lower position for about a minute,,

Anyway there's a few ideas for you,, I hope you find it useful,, the Matt
Furey video on pushups seems a good one for advice on the question you've
asked.
Enjoy
Zac