Injury while bench pressing

Old April 16th 04, 12:22 AM
Ricter

Default Injury while bench pressing

Hello all,
I've recently started a 5x5 powerlifting routine (Barry Merriman's), and
today, during set #3 on the bench press, I felt something start to burn bad
on my left side, up where the pectoral connects to the upper arm, while I
was slowly lowering the weight.

I couldn't finish the set, refused to actually, since I figured it for a
muscle tear.

This is the most likely injury, isn't it?

I'm 44, with below average recovery ability. What do you suggest I do to
speed my recovery? Should I forget about doing bench again in 8 days (by
the schedule)?

Rick

(originally posted on asw, but found this busier board)
Old April 16th 04, 12:45 AM
AlphaGeek

Are you asking this group for medical advice? You sure are a brave one.
Get ice on it and see a doctor.

om...

Old April 16th 04, 01:20 AM
Wayne S. Hill

Ricter wrote:

Hello all,
I've recently started a 5x5 powerlifting routine (Barry
Merriman's), and today, during set #3 on the bench press, I
felt something start to burn bad on my left side, up where
the pectoral connects to the upper arm, while I was slowly
lowering the weight.

I couldn't finish the set, refused to actually, since I
figured it for a muscle tear.

This is the most likely injury, isn't it?

I'm not clear on that description. It could also be a rotator
cuff injury.

I'm 44, with below average recovery ability. What do you
suggest I do to speed my recovery? Should I forget about
doing bench again in 8 days (by the schedule)?

Rule #1: don't do anything that hurts it. If it feels
otherwise OK by your next bench day, try a light warmup and see
how it feels. If it doesn't feel OK outside of the gym, don't
bench press.

What's with the 8 day cycle? I'd get nowhere with that long
between bench workouts.

--
-Wayne