1500m men's results

Old August 26th 04, 05:08 PM
Robert Grumbine

Default 1500m men's results

Since the race was held on the 24th and I'm guessing this probably isn't
a spoiler for anyone, but, just in case ... this is your last warning to
look away
Ok, I didn't see the race, but
http://www.athens2004.com/en/Athleti...ATM015101_C73G
lists that Hicham El Gerrouj did win the gold, Bernard Lagat silver,
0.12 seconds back, and Rui Silva bronze, 0.50 seconds back.
4th was Kiptanui, almost a full second behind Silva, so it looks like
the lead three broke from the rest somewhere along the way.

Distance 400m 800m 1200m
Bib 2358 2469 2469
Split Time 1:00.42 2:01.93 2:55.21
60.42 61.51 53.28 38.97
-- Bib 2469 is El Gerrouj, who apparently took the lead during the second
lap, and then went for a long final kick, covering the last 700 m on
pace for a 3:17.7 1500m (1:45.4 for 800m, probably better than several
will do in the finals of that race).

Good to see him get the gold to complement the WR.
--
Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much
Old August 26th 04, 06:04 PM
Lyndon

Bob, If a video is available, see the race. It is one of the most exciting and
emotionally charged races you'll see. A capsule summary:

Most observers think the only way to beat El Guerrouj is to force a slow pace
and try to outkick him. So the Kenyans went out with an obvious team tactic of
getting all 3 Kenyans in front, and then slowing the pace. Thus the first 700
or so went like a not so good college mile.

Then, with 700-800 to go, El G finally got to the front and took it out...and
the race was on: El G, Lagat, and Heshko for a period. BUT, during the last
100 or so, Lagat passed El G, and it looked for a while like Olympic
disappointment #3 was unfolding. El G had to fight with everything he had to
get the gold. Rui Silva of Portugal also put on a furious kick to get the
bronze.

As I said, see the race; You just don't get it from the results.

Lyndon
"Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach
Brooks Johnson

Old August 26th 04, 06:27 PM
Colm

"Lyndon" wrote in message
: Bob, If a video is available, see the race. It is one of the most exciting and
: emotionally charged races you'll see.

I'll second that. It was a fantastic race, fantastic finish.

--
Colm

Old August 26th 04, 07:58 PM
Tony

Colm wrote in message ...
"Lyndon" wrote in message
: Bob, If a video is available, see the race. It is one of the most

exciting and
: emotionally charged races you'll see.

I'll second that. It was a fantastic race, fantastic finish.

--
Colm

It was an awesome race, the 1500 (and the 3000 steeplechase) runners are
incredibly smooth runners.

- Tony

Old August 27th 04, 12:26 AM
Harold D Walls

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Colm wrote:

"Lyndon" wrote in message
: Bob, If a video is available, see the race. It is one of the most
: exciting and
: emotionally charged races you'll see.

I'll second that. It was a fantastic race, fantastic finish.

And I'll third it. I never yell at the TV, but that race had me
cheering at the top of my lungs.

I don't know if it's true, but the announcer said that El Guerrouj ran
the fastest final 800m ever in a 1500m race.

-- Harold
Old August 28th 04, 12:59 AM
SwStudio

"Colm" wrote in message
"Lyndon" wrote in message
: Bob, If a video is available, see the race. It is one of the most

exciting and
: emotionally charged races you'll see.

I'll second that. It was a fantastic race, fantastic finish.

I'll third it, seeing El G basically sobbing in relief and joy at
finally achieving what should have been his long ago was one
of the most memorable Olympic moments I have seen.

My favorite moment from 2000 was the mens 10,000 final.
That was a great race... not that this installment wasn't, either. (!)

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON)
www.allfalldown.org

Old August 29th 04, 08:07 PM
Mike Henley

"SwStudio" wrote in message ...
"Colm" wrote in message
"Lyndon" wrote in message
: Bob, If a video is available, see the race. It is one of the most

exciting and
: emotionally charged races you'll see.

I'll second that. It was a fantastic race, fantastic finish.

I'll third it, seeing El G basically sobbing in relief and joy at
finally achieving what should have been his long ago was one
of the most memorable Olympic moments I have seen.

My favorite moment from 2000 was the mens 10,000 final.
That was a great race... not that this installment wasn't, either. (!)

cheers,

Me too, me too.

I just got to watch the race on video and I know totally understand
what the media thing was about.

Very emotional, very charged, very exciting, and very very moving.

Seeing El G sobbing as you said made my eyes tearful, eventhough I
knew the results already and all.
Old August 29th 04, 09:40 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

On 2004-08-29, Mike Henley wrote:
ospam (Lyndon) wrote in message ...
Bob, If a video is available, see the race. It is one of the most exciting and
emotionally charged races you'll see. A capsule summary:

Most observers think the only way to beat El Guerrouj is to force a slow pace
and try to outkick him. So the Kenyans went out with an obvious team tactic
of getting all 3 Kenyans in front, and then slowing the pace. Thus the
first 700 or so went like a not so good college mile.

OK. I don't know much about running, so here's a question.

Why do people have to stick to the pacemaker guy?

You don't.

Isn't it about the fastest who can run 1500m?

No. It's about who gets to the finish line first. It's not a time trial.

why not then just try to run to the finish line in as little time as possible
and to hell with what everyone else is doing?

If you're the fastest guy on the course, that's a fine strategy. If you're not
the fastest on the course, but your finishing speed is better than the fastest
guys, then you'll do better in a race that comes down to a sprint over the
last 200m.

In other words, a race with a slow finishing time favors one kind of runner. A
race with a fast time favors a different kind of runner. So some runners may go
out of their way to make it a slow race (for example, by getting in front, then
running slowly). Other runners may do the opposite by grabbing the lead and
running quickly.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old August 30th 04, 06:36 AM
Jeff Fawcett

So some runners may go
out of their way to make it a slow race (for example, by getting in front, then
running slowly). Other runners may do the opposite by grabbing the lead and
running quickly.

Cheers,

your answer is correct of course but that's not the real reason the
person with the best time coming in doesn't just try to run a fast
race. Whether it's running, cycling or car racing the same physical
laws apply. It is much harder going from the front because other
people can draft off of you. If 2 runners are close to even in
ability and one guy leads the whole way he is in big trouble unless he
can make a break that doesn't allow the other guy to sit behind him.

One reason the Olympic triathlon was silly was that they allowed
drafting. The first guys out of the water and onto the bikes actually
had a huge disadvantage ! The bike pack raced as a team and spent 20%
less energy.

The runners that made a big mistake were the 5k guys - turning that
into a half mile race with El G was just stupid. SOMEONE has to have
the guts to push the pace early, they almost conceded the gold from
the first lap on.

Poor Performances JJ Swimming 5 August 23rd 04 01:39 PM
Pool Water Tests - Conflicting Results homerlex Swimming 10 July 16th 04 02:35 AM
Mens Open Results John Hanson Weights 1 July 12th 04 01:05 AM
where to find 1988 & 1992 Olympic swimming results (including prelims) Joe Magiera Swimming 0 April 6th 04 04:50 PM
High saturated fat, starch avoidance weight loss diet offers good preliminary results Home_sweet_emoH Swimming 2 November 19th 03 02:21 AM