Bulls in fields

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 15th 03, 11:29 PM
RJ Webb

Default Bulls in fields

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 22:14:12 +0100, Pief [email protected] wrote:

ayeMeHarties: |[ peter hall's ]| ahoy...
Hi I've been a lurker for some time now and feel for the first time that I
may have something to add to the thread.
Having worked with cattle for over 30 years I must agree with previous
writers that Bulls must at all times be treated with caution. They can turn
remarkably, almost on a sixpence (2.5p for you young 'uns) and can easily
out-run a human. However I have never been hurt or even had a close shave
with a Bull (possibly because of my caution) whereas I have suffered broken
ribs and more bruises than I could count from cows and more again from young
heifers. To heifers play is fun, and a friendly crowd of heifers gently
knocking you about can be the most painful of all. Carry a stick and don't
be afraid to use it if challenged, the brief pain you inflict on the animal
is nothing to what they are capable of doing to you, and they will forget it
in no time.

You mean I can wack'em with a stick?
Now I know what to do, I thought that would just p,ss them off more

No ... Its good advice. Handled cattle soon learn about sticks and
respect them. No 2 item in my anti bull armoury when I used to work
with them. (1 was of course a bucket of oats). Yet to have had trouble
with heifers, but they are intimidating if they get you running.

Richard Webb