Dieting and Recreational Lap Swimming?

Old July 5th 03, 01:41 AM
Donal Fagan

Default Dieting and Recreational Lap Swimming?

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:27:25 GMT, "MSEagan"
wrote:

The only problem seems to be.....well, let's just
say my kids have offered to buy me Beano, but I'd
need an entire bottle each day for the amount of
veggies I eat. Thank goodness for a sense of humor
and tolerance in our house.

I ran a great deal and followed the Pritikin diet
closely from about 1982 to 1986. I was in great
shape, about 180 lbs with a resting heart rate in
the fifties, but I had the same problem.

In particular, there was this oatmeal cookie
recipe using whole oats and apple juice
concentrate. I loved them and baked them myself,
but they gave me the foulest flatulence. My wife
used to make me go outside and my office cubicle
mate used to howl with displeasure after lunch.

Of course, now I'm just an old fart no matter what
I eat. :-(

Donal Fagan AIA

(Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)
Old July 11th 03, 08:51 AM
Mike Edey

"Donal Fagan" wrote in message
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 19:27:25 GMT, "MSEagan"

snip

In particular, there was this oatmeal cookie
recipe using whole oats and apple juice
concentrate. I loved them and baked them myself,
but they gave me the foulest flatulence. My wife
used to make me go outside and my office cubicle
mate used to howl with displeasure after lunch.

Of course, now I'm just an old fart no matter what
I eat. :-(

Donal Fagan AIA

(Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)

I've been trying, rather unsuccessfully, to find an article I remember
reading some time ago regarding diet change, gi flora & flatulence. Seems
that the composition of one's 'flora' tends to adjust to accommodate one's
diet and any significant change can cause flatulence, nausea and other
symptoms. It might follow, then, consuming foods that give you gas on a more
regular basis might, eventually, alleviate the problem.
--Mike

Old July 11th 03, 06:53 PM
MSEagan

I have been consuming a high veggie diet for many years. I imagine the
problem would be worse if this was a recent change.....can't imagine how
they'd live with me--definitely would be a test of "unconditional love".

Marianne

. ca...