Trousers

Old August 10th 05, 08:34 AM
John Smith

Default Trousers

Having recently completed decent length Country walk first part of which
dampish and second part with soggy jeans realise that jeans aren't the best
for such.
Any recommendations for more appropriate trousers?
Thanks,
John

Old August 10th 05, 10:11 AM
Geoff Berrow

I noticed that Message-ID:
from Fran contained the
following:

Any recommendations for more appropriate trousers?

Anything made of polyamide rather than cotton, since polyamide dries
quickly and isn't too heavy even when wet.

Actually, my walking trousers (zip offs) are 65% polyester 35% cotton
and dry very quickly. (Peter Storm about 25 IIRC). I think they are
great.

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Old August 10th 05, 10:42 AM
Colin MacDonald

More or less anything that's mostly synthetic fibre (typically
polyester) will tend to do the job, because they won't hold water in
the same way as pure cotton (e.g. your jeans).

Back in 1986 I got a pair of Adidas track / running trousers, and have
worn them on pretty much every major walk since. They are getting
distinctly breezy in certain areas now, so have just recently invested
in a pair of Ronhill Tracksters. Haven't used them in anger yet, but
I'm sure they'll do the job nicely. I like having trousers that fit
fairly close (I hesitate to use words like 'leggings', but...) so that
I have lots of freedom of movement on scrambly sections, big steps,
etc., while some people might prefer a looser fit more in the mould of
the walking trousers you'll find in most outdoor shops.

Either style will do fine for not holding moisture, so it's just a
question of preference after that. Except that the tight-fitting
variety will sit more easily beneath a pair of waterproof overtrousers.

Colin

Old August 10th 05, 11:09 AM
The Reids

Following up to John Smith

Having recently completed decent length Country walk first part of which
dampish and second part with soggy jeans realise that jeans aren't the best
for such.
Any recommendations for more appropriate trousers?

synthetics, tracksters, or the close woven thin cotton cloth
people like Rohan use, light, wind proof, quick drying.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old August 10th 05, 12:49 PM
Daytona

Fran wrote:

Anything made of polyamide

Wassat ? Is that a name for a class of man made fibres like Nylon and
Polyester which are what my trousers are made of ? I quick Google
didn't give me a quick answer g !

Daytona
Old August 10th 05, 01:22 PM
Daytona

"John Smith" wrote:

Having recently completed decent length Country walk first part of which
dampish and second part with soggy jeans realise that jeans aren't the best
for such.

Jeans are made of cotton which absorbs and holds water, you want
something that doesn't. I use Mountain Hardwear Convertible Pack Pants
which are superbly comfortable, but not suitable for long/heavy wet
weather. I'm going to replace these with Paramo Viento Zip Offs. The
Paramo Cascada are also highly rated. See
URL:http://www.paramo.co.uk/UK/acatalog/Warmth,Windproofing&Waterproofing-16.html

In the past I've also used Army surplus Goretex overtrousers which are
too heavy and hot.

Search for previous posts in the following -

URL:http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forumthreads/mps/dt/4/URN/5/V/7/SP/590148384674536955536
URL:http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.walking?hl=en

Also see the user ratings and reviews on OutdoorsMagic.

hth

Daytona
Old August 10th 05, 02:26 PM
Rob Devereux

I'd second this. My Peter Storm ones dry quicker and are more resilient
than the more expensive rohan ones.

"Geoff Berrow" wrote in message
news
I noticed that Message-ID:
from Fran contained the
following:

Old August 10th 05, 02:26 PM
Phil Cook

Geoff Berrow wrote:

I noticed that Message-ID:
from Fran contained the
following:

Any recommendations for more appropriate trousers?

Anything made of polyamide rather than cotton, since polyamide dries
quickly and isn't too heavy even when wet.

Actually, my walking trousers (zip offs) are 65% polyester 35% cotton
and dry very quickly. (Peter Storm about 25 IIRC). I think they are
great.

Polyester Poly/Cotton (provided its more poly than cotton and Nylon
(aka Polyamide) make good walking trews. My faves are Rohan Uplanders.
However I can't tell you what they are made of as writing on the the
info label has all washed off :-(

The thing with trousers is that the best ones are ones that fit. It's
less crucial than boots but you still want to be comfy.

Old August 10th 05, 06:10 PM
Peter Clinch

Daytona wrote:

Jeans are made of cotton which absorbs and holds water, you want
something that doesn't.

Thobut there's cotton and there's cotton, and there are cotton
mixes. While denim is hopeless there are close woven cotton based
fabrics that are fine.

Having said that, I personally find track suit bottoms, notably
Ronhill Tracksters, are the way to go. Much better freedom of
movement than most "walking trousers", lighter, hold less water and
dry faster.

The current TGO has reviews of walking trousers, I believe.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter storm trousers / patches Doki Walking in the UK 12 March 9th 05 06:24 PM
Trousers Francesca Walking in the UK 13 January 9th 04 07:11 AM
small size walking trousers? Jay Overlake Walking in the UK 4 November 7th 03 09:10 PM
Waterproof Trousers Andrew Walking in the UK 12 October 7th 03 12:21 PM
Trekking trousers Fraggle Walking in the UK 8 July 11th 03 10:59 PM