For National Trust Members - White Moss Car Park

Old October 2nd 07, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
John Dawson

Default For National Trust Members - White Moss Car Park

I found a notice today at White Moss car park (sorry about the
shouting):

FROM 1 NOVEMBER 2007, THIS CAR PARK WILL BE MANAGED BY
LOWTHER ESTATE TRUST AND NOT THE NATIONAL TRUST.

This means that all visitors parking here must pay the usual car park
fee as indicated, and that National Trust members will no longer be
able to park here free of charge.

The car parks belong to the Lowther Estate Trust, but for many years
have been leased to the National Trust. This lease has now ended and
the Lowther Estate Trust will manage White Moss, and Silverthwaite,
(near Skelwith Bridge) car parks from 1 November 2007.

The National Trust will however continue to manage and lease the high
fells of the Lonscale Commons from the Lowther Estate Trust.

There still remain 21 National Trust car parks in the Lake District at
which members can park free of charge. The nearest one to this site is
at Elterwatertoward the Langdale Valley.

Should you have any queries on car parking at these sites after 1
November, please contact Lowther Estate Trust on 01931 712577.
www.nationaltrust.org.uk www.lowther.co.uk

This ****ed me off no end as I use this car park a lot. However, it
didn't stop me enjoying my day's walk over Loughrigg, Silver How, Blea
Rigg, Sergeant Man and Tarn Crag, or the blackcurrent and cream ice
cream I had in Grasmere.

John D.
--
John Dawson at home in Kendal, Cumbria.
Lake District Walks Web Pages http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/
Old October 3rd 07, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

I noticed this as well when I cycled past yesterday. I don't use these
car parks a lot, but every so often it cuts out the walk up to White
Moss with elderly relaives/ young children...I suppose it shows that
even in the 21st centuries the Lowthers have the inclination- and are
in the position- to make things worse for most folk in Cumbria. Ho
hum...

Old October 9th 07, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
kimilseung

On Oct 3, 12:37 pm, wrote:
I suppose it shows that
even in the 21st centuries the Lowthers have the inclination- and are
in the position- to make things worse for most folk in Cumbria. Ho
hum...

Do tell more about the Lowthers and the reputation that you hint at

Old November 14th 07, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Oct 2, 5:47 pm, John Dawson wrote:
[...]

From Bob Norris

What is even more deceitful and frankly dishonest is that by Nov11th
all the notices saying that Trust members could no longer park for
free had been removed. In fact there were no notices of any sort, only
the machines which are identical to those in the Trust car park at
Tarn Howes. I don't know why we were suspicious but it would have been
very easy to do what we have always done before, just parked and put
our membership card on the dashboard. Presumably we would have come
back to find ourselves clamped and having to pay upwards of 50 to
have the clamp removed. The fact that the current operator had removed
the NT notices is a clear indication of an intent to deceive. Is this
the image of the Lake District the National Park is happy to see
promoted.

Bobnor

Old November 14th 07, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Nov 14, 7:49 pm, Simon Challands
wrote:
In message om
wrote:

What is even more deceitful and frankly dishonest is that by Nov11th
all the notices saying that Trust members could no longer park for
free had been removed. In fact there were no notices of any sort, only
the machines which are identical to those in the Trust car park at
Tarn Howes. I don't know why we were suspicious but it would have been
very easy to do what we have always done before, just parked and put
our membership card on the dashboard. Presumably we would have come
back to find ourselves clamped and having to pay upwards of 50 to
have the clamp removed. The fact that the current operator had removed
the NT notices is a clear indication of an intent to deceive. Is this
the image of the Lake District the National Park is happy to see
promoted.

Why should they keep notices up indefinitely? If you use the car park
frequently you'll know of the change, if you don't use it frequently
then you should check the conditions anyway, which are always liable
to change.

--
Simon Challands

What a load of cobblers. Why are the conditions liable to change?
If you use NT car parks regularly as we do you do not expect the rules
to suddenly change without notice.
No, you would not expect them to keep notices up for ever but to
remove them so quickly in an area where some people come only once or
twice a year is a deliberate attempt to deceive.
I wonder how many other NT car parks are held on the same basis and
could be handed over to commercial management companies to rip off NT
members
Bob Norris

Old November 14th 07, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:56:21 -0800,
wrote:

On Nov 14, 7:49 pm, Simon Challands
wrote:
In message om
wrote:

[...]

It is of course not the National Trust who are handing over the
carparks, but the owner - in this case Lowther Estate - who are not
renewing the lease and are taking them back.
Robert
Old November 15th 07, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Nov 15, 7:06 pm, Simon Challands
wrote:
In message .com
wrote:

What a load of cobblers. Why are the conditions liable to change?
If you use NT car parks regularly as we do you do not expect the rules
to suddenly change without notice.
No, you would not expect them to keep notices up for ever but to
remove them so quickly in an area where some people come only once or
twice a year is a deliberate attempt to deceive.
I wonder how many other NT car parks are held on the same basis and
could be handed over to commercial management companies to rip off NT
members

It's not a load of cobblers. If you go into an ordinary pay and
display car park and just chuck the same amount of money in every day
you'll some day find yourself buying less time and getting a parking
ticket. There was a notice. If people only come once or twice a year
then you'd have to leave the notices up for a ridiculously long time.
"A deliberate attempt to deceive" is a rather unpleasant allegation,
and one that doesn't really hold water. Was there a deliberate attempt
to make it look like it was still a NT car park?

--
Simon Challands

We obviously have a different definition of ridiculous. I would not
have thought ridiculous to leave discreet notices up for three or six
months. I would have regarded a simple good manners.
I really do seem to have rattled someones cage.
Bob Norris
Old November 16th 07, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Simon Challands

In message
ups.com
wrote:

I really do seem to have rattled someones cage.

In which case my post must've sounded more aggressive than intended,
sorry about that.

--
Simon Challands