A little more advanced

Old February 12th 04, 05:32 AM
Oldman

Default A little more advanced

I had some poster who were interested in the High Rep High Weight but
were confused
about how I used it in my training. This is for trainees who have completed
a basic routine
such as the For Newbie routine or a similar type and had his basic form
correct and had
been training about 6 months. I sent this to a poster who had requested a
typical routine
using this style. I hope it helps anyone who is curious and wanted more
specific information
about how to train using this protocol.

Hello this is Oldman and I will try to help you get started on the High
Reps High
weight routine. I need to know what exercises you have been doing to get an
idea of what
you need. If you have been training pretty strenuously you should be able
to use this type
training without it being too much trouble.
I have a home gym so I can train anytime I want. I workout every other
day which gives
me 14 workouts a month typically. This is not a requirement though, it only
give me more
work and allows me to add weights to my exercise a little faster
To start with I will give you a little run down as to what the routine
entails. It is
strictly a bodybuilding routine and will make you grow fast. It will also
make you very
strong as time goes by. You will get strong of course because you do push
the weights but
only in a fashion that allows your body time to adapt to the new workload.
We do the
exercises full body 3 days a week or every other day. Pick your own poison.
The exercise
are done in a repitition range of between 12 and 15 reps. You will start
each exercise at
12 reps and add a repetition per workout day until you reach 15 reps. You
should workout
at the 15 rep range for 2-4 workouts, depending on how they feel. If you
are gaining
weight rapidly then some weight sequences may feel very light and easy and
you can go up
fast. I am trying to lose a little weight or at least not gain anyso I stay
there usually 4 days
to let my body adapt.
Do your exercises in strict style. Do not rest a long time between
exercises. A
bodybuilder needs to keep kind of busy. I usually do an exercise say for
chest and then do
another exercise for another muscle group which is not fatigued. This will
allow a good
pace but give each muscle a little rest before hitting it again. For
example I do Bench
Press and immediately I will do Rowing Motions. The Rowing Motions really
take my breath
so I usually get a minutes rest just to catch my breath before I do another
set of Bench
Presses.
I will now write out the routine I am doing and you can adjust yours to
suit you. The
first part of my routine I use as a warm up because it is cold in my
basement. Even though
it is a warmup it is still part of the routine and builds some muscle. It
is just not for
the large muscle groups. I have a bum knee from my running days and really
try to make
sure it is warm and flexible so I do not re-injure it. First thing in my
routine is free
handed squats about 5 reps. I then do a set up wrist rollers on a one inch
dowel for my
forearms. This really pumps them up. I do not have a calf machine yet so I
am doing
Donkey Calf Raises. That is the next exercise. Point your toes inwards,
straight ahead
and outward. 10 reps for each direction for a total of 30 reps. For the
forearms I have a
dumbell handle with weights affixed to one end of it. I let my arm hang off
the edge of my
flat bench palm up and use my forearm to curl it up to my face. Forearm
only. I switch
hands and do the other arm. Then I do the same exercise except the palms
are facing down.
Then I do a set of 16 twisting situps. I have weight held behind my head
for this one.
You should make sure your knees are held together so your hip flexors do not
get involved.
The last exercise used as a warm up is on the power rider. At this time I
do 120 reps.
Repeat this sequence of exercises 3 times. You should be good and warmed up
at this stage
and you have worked your forearms, abs and calves. Think about doing the
forearms stuff as
most bodybuilders really have puny forearms and no strength in their grips.
We are
striving for good symetrical growth with all the muscle in proportion to
each other. You
do not need to go weight crazy on this warmup. The weights will come as
they can.
The first exercise is the Military Press. Do this with the elbows
pointing to the
front. The position should be like if you just cleaned a barbell or when
you are doing
front squats. Do not let the elbows go out to the sides. This will work
the frontal
deltoids. Immediately do a set up barbell curls. Take a rest of about a
minute and do a
set of Press Behind the Neck for the Lateral Deltoids followed by a set of
Reverse Curls.
You can do these Curls with a barbell or do dumbell curls. You could also
do another set
of regular curls. I like the variety of the reverse curls and the fact it
works my
forearms. Finish this sequence with a set of leg raises. Be sure to keep
your knees
together doing these and curl your kness into your face at the top. Extend
your legs and
let them down. Do this sequence 3 sets.
The next part of the routine is where we get into working out the big
muscle groups.
The next exercise is the Bench Press. Do it with a grip spacing of about 18
1/2 inches to
the inside of your hands, about and inch past the knurls on the Olympic
Barbell. I measured
my spacing and that is about right. The Bench of course works the chest,
but I do not
consider it a chest only exercise. If done correctly it will work your
chest, shoulders
and triceps. The way I do them for this routine is of course lower them to
just below the
nipples. The difference which makes it harder is I try to keep my elbows
pretty close to
my rib box. Do not let the elbows go out to the sides. This makes it a lot
harder and
will limit the amount of weight you can handle at first. Done in this style
the triceps
get a tremendous workout as well as the chest and shoulders. If we can get
the triceps a
good workout then all the other presses will be easy. After the Bench
Presses do a set of
Rowing Motions. Grasp the barbell with about an inch or an inch and a half
hand spacing.
Bring the barbell to your lower abdomen just below the navel. The elbows
should be
pointing up to the ceiling Arch your back at the top to get a good
contraction. Keep your
head parallel to the floor. Do not let it bob up and down and make a
cheating exercise out
of this. Let the barbell down by lowering it close to your shins. Extend
the barbell at the
bottom and get a good stretch in your lats. After this exercise you will
probably nead a
minute breather. Repeat this sequence two more times for a total of 3 sets.
The next exercise is the Decline Barbell Bench Press. This is the best
chest exercise
there is. It really works the upper chest. Unlike the Bench Press drop
this one down to
the neck and let your elbows go out to the side and really get a stretch.
Use about a 2
inch wider grip than used on the Bench Press. Alternate this with Stiff
Legged Deadlifts.
Sets of 12 Three sets of each exercise.
The next exercise is the Squat. Sets of twenty. I am now working into
my 4th set. As
necessary I will go into 5 sets when my body needs it. Alternate this
exercise with a set
of light breathing pullovers. I only use two 2 1/2 lb. plates. It is used
to stretch the
rib box, but mostly you will need it to get your breath back after the
Squats. Sets of
20-25.
The next exercise is the Bent Armed Pullover. Lay on you back on a flat
bench with
your head hanging off the end of the bench. Use a close grip with about an
inch or inch
and a half spacing. Lower the Barbell to the chest. Lower it past your
head and keep the
elbows pointing to the ceiling to keep the stress off your shoulders. Make
sure you get a
good stretch at the bottom. I put the end of the bench on a 2x4 board to
keep the plates
from touching the floor. Do this 3 sets.
The last exercise I am doing is the chins. I have had elbow trouble and
right now I
cannot do wide grip behind the neck chins. I am doing regular chins with my
palms facing
away from me normal grip. As time goes by I hope to get back into this
exercise as it
really works the lats when combined with the Rowing Motion and Bent Armed
Pullover.
The exercise routine its as follows
1 Warm up- Wrist Rolls. Donkey Calf Raises, Wrist Curl with an
adjustable dumbell bar,
Setup
2Military Press alternated with Biceps Curls
3.Press Behind the Neck alternated with Reverse Curls or Dumbell curls.
Any curl will
do. This routine really works the triceps and we need to work the biceps or
they get left
behind.
4. Bench Press alternated with Rowing Motion.
5. Decline Press alternated with Stiff legged Deadlift. I use the
Romanian Deadlift
because of previous back trouble.
6. Squat alternated with light breathing pullovers
7. Bent armed Rowing Pullover
8. Chins

I do not know your extent of knowledge so I will send a few other things
your way. If
you already know this material then there is no harm done. If you do not
then I did good
by sending it to you. I hope you can do this exercise routine. If you try
to go weight
crazy at first it will kill you. I am 57 years old and I do it, so can you.
I wish you
luck..

Old February 12th 04, 09:27 AM
Roger Zoul

Oldman wrote:
:: I had some poster who were interested in the High Rep High
:: Weight but were confused
:: about how I used it in my training. This is for trainees who have
:: completed a basic routine
:: such as the For Newbie routine or a similar type and had his basic
:: form correct and had
:: been training about 6 months. I sent this to a poster who had
:: requested a typical routine
:: using this style. I hope it helps anyone who is curious and wanted
:: more specific information
:: about how to train using this protocol.
::
[...]

Oldman -- I think your routine is retarded....

Old February 12th 04, 01:10 PM
Jim Ranieri

"Oldman" wrote in message
I had some poster who were interested in the High Rep High Weight but
were confused
about how I used it in my training.

snip a billion lines of questionable advice

you really need to get a website.

Old February 12th 04, 01:24 PM
Lee Michaels

"Jim Ranieri" wrote in message

"Oldman" wrote in message
I had some poster who were interested in the High Rep High Weight

but
were confused
about how I used it in my training.

snip a billion lines of questionable advice

you really need to get a website.

What would we call such a web site?

old fart.com??

fossil training systems.com??

muscle comics archive training.com??

don't like science.com??

son't need no steenkin' studies.com??

Old February 12th 04, 02:07 PM
Wayne S. Hill

Oldman wrote:

snip

I just can't bring myself to read this. Where's Watson? I need
this post abstracted to, say, 218 words (one word per line of the
original).

--
-Wayne
Old February 12th 04, 03:20 PM
Top Sirloin

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:32:18 -0600, "Oldman" wrote:

are done in a repitition range of between 12 and 15 reps. You will start
each exercise at
12 reps and add a repetition per workout day until you reach 15 reps. You
should workout
at the 15 rep range for 2-4 workouts, depending on how they feel. If you
are gaining
weight rapidly then some weight sequences may feel very light and easy and
you can go up
fast. I am trying to lose a little weight or at least not gain anyso I stay
there usually 4 days
to let my body adapt.

Lyle mentions in UD2.0 that high rep training doesn't work well for a lot of
people because the body has trouble replenishing glycogen stores and performing
protein synthesis at the same time. You may be an outlier and would want to
avoid the trap of assuming that what works for you will work for everyone else
too.

--
Scott Johnson
"Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are
Old February 12th 04, 04:27 PM
Art S

"AlphaOmega2004" wrote in message
s.com...
HA
HA
HA
HA
HA
HA
HA
HA
HA!

Caring about line length is like caring about line length.

Congratulations!

You are finally, actually, CORRECT!

I'm impressed.

Keep up the good work.

Art

Old February 12th 04, 05:45 PM
Proton Soup

On 12 Feb 2004 14:07:34 GMT, "Wayne S. Hill" wrote:

Oldman wrote:

snip

I just can't bring myself to read this. Where's Watson? I need
this post abstracted to, say, 218 words (one word per line of the
original).

Um, yeah, and when I saw all those extra carriage returns, my eyes
said "uh-uh" and I moved on to the next message.

If someone wants you to read their book, they should at least have the
courtesy to format it properly.

Proton Soup