Do Shin Splints Cause or agitate Achilles tendon problems

Old December 12th 03, 06:31 AM
Bill

Default Do Shin Splints Cause or agitate Achilles tendon problems

"A.r.a.k.h.N.i.d.e.F" wrote in message
. ..
I asked 2 weeks ago about an Achilles tendon problem and decided to wait

it
out for about 4 weeks, my heels feel fine, but my shin splints are still a
pain in the ass. Does that problem heal itself after time as well as the
Achilles heel? And another question, since the Achilles tendon gets messed
up because the calves muscles aren't supporting it enough, will running
with shin splints "cause" the tendon to get messed up, or do the heel and
splint problems come from different sources,

as in that they do not cause each other.

(Armchair reading, and experience of one)

Calf/achilles works with the shin muscles to plantarflex and dorsiflex the
foot, each is the antagonist of the other. They are quite closely
"connected". To give an example: contraction of the shin signals
relaxation and elongation of the calf and vice versa. When walking with a
sore shin (tibialis) that does not contract, the calf may not relax before
it takes on the load. This tighter calf pulls harder on the achilles and
gait loses fluidity. When running, you might expect loss of absorption in
your lower "suspension", loss of spring in the stride, and these problems
could migrate to the feet, knees, hips and back.

They both need strengthening in eccentric contraction, and, careful
stretching to maintain range of motion. Massage early and often to promote
healing and avoid reinjury. An inserted heel lift might offer relief. Some
coaches include prevention drills for their track teams early in the season.

Spinning with good form on a bicycle for long periods, using cleats or toe
clips, does a wonderful rehab of these tissues, though you may have to
stretch them out from time to time.

Do not stretch ambitiously just before a run.

Try MTSS/shin splint rehab and AT rehab to speed recovery and help prevent
injury.

Ignoring sore shins can lead to stress fracture, according to many reports.

Because I can run and ignore the pain from shin splints, but I
really don't want to mess up tendon, because that can make a run an
unbearable pain.

Thanks Again

Old December 12th 03, 12:36 PM
A.r.a.k.h.N.i.d.e.F

I asked 2 weeks ago about an Achilles tendon problem and decided to wait it
out for about 4 weeks, my heels feel fine, but my shin splints are still a
pain in the ass. Does that problem heal itself after time as well as the
Achilles heel? And another question, since the Achilles tendon gets messed
up because the calves muscles aren't supporting it enough, will running
with shin splints "cause" the tendon to get messed up, or do the heel and
splint problems come from different sources, as in that they do not cause
each other. Because I can run and ignore the pain from shin splints, but I

--
Overview of Newsgroups and Binaries....
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php
Old December 12th 03, 05:14 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , A.r.a.k.h.N.i.d.e.F wrote:
I asked 2 weeks ago about an Achilles tendon problem and decided to wait it
out for about 4 weeks, my heels feel fine, but my shin splints are still a
pain in the ass. Does that problem heal itself after time as well as the
Achilles heel? And another question, since the Achilles tendon gets messed
up because the calves muscles aren't supporting it enough, will running
with shin splints "cause" the tendon to get messed up, or do the heel and
splint problems come from different sources, as in that they do not cause
each other. Because I can run and ignore the pain from shin splints, but I
really don't want to mess up tendon, because that can make a run an
unbearable pain.

Both of these injuries are caused by the same thing -- too-much-too-soon.
Connective tissue adapts very slowly, whereas other factors that contribute
to performance (neuromuscular adaptions, aerobic conditioning) can improve
more rapidly. The result is that your speed quickly improves but your tendons
don't adapt. You can also get into similar trouble by ramping up milage too
quickly. Again, because the tendons are slow to adapt, they are high on the
list of possible candidates for injury.

Since you've gotten two similar injuries, I'd say that a training error is
almost certainly the cause (especially if you're who I think you are).

Take a rest until it gets better and then read a book and set up a proper
training program for yourself.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old June 22nd 14, 01:17 PM
Prelyudia Prelyudia is offline
Banned

Thank you for*your posts!*Very interesting!

shin splints Jen Savage Weights 81 April 13th 04 04:30 AM
Shin splints? Art S Weights 7 December 13th 03 07:45 AM
How to best deal with Tendon problems? A.r.a.k.h.N.i.d.e.F Running 12 November 28th 03 08:18 AM