Front Crawl Technique Question - OK to "shrug" shoulder to reach further

Old July 9th 03, 05:58 PM
Steve Freides

Default Front Crawl Technique Question - OK to "shrug" shoulder to reach further

I notice that, when I'm really reaching far in front of during front
crawl, I can get a little further reach if I "shrug" my shoulder but I'm
concerned this might be bad for my shoulder. I know from weight
training that keeping the shoulder down in the socket is important but,
given that this is in the water and all that, I don't know if it's
enough different to matter or if perhaps this varies by the individual
swimmer. Of course, I'm after the maximum reach with risk of injury.
All in all, whatever I'm doing in both lifting and swimming hasn't
caused me any serious problems but I do notice I sometimes feel like I
have a bit of stiff neck, for lack of a better description.

Other: 48 years old, male, recreational swimmer who can turn in a :14 25
yards with an in the water start, swims repeat 100's in about 1:40 on
2:00, etc.

Thanks in advance.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com
Old July 9th 03, 08:07 PM
de Valois

Steve left this mess on Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:58:57 -0400 for The Way to clean up:

I notice that, when I'm really reaching far in front of during front
crawl, I can get a little further reach if I "shrug" my shoulder but I'm
concerned this might be bad for my shoulder. I know from weight
training that keeping the shoulder down in the socket is important but,
given that this is in the water and all that, I don't know if it's
enough different to matter or if perhaps this varies by the individual
swimmer. Of course, I'm after the maximum reach with risk of injury.
All in all, whatever I'm doing in both lifting and swimming hasn't
caused me any serious problems but I do notice I sometimes feel like I
have a bit of stiff neck, for lack of a better description.

Other: 48 years old, male, recreational swimmer who can turn in a :14 25
yards with an in the water start, swims repeat 100's in about 1:40 on
2:00, etc.

There's an old joke, Steve, that goes "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." " So
don't do that."

If ain't hurting and you really feel the need to do it, then go for it. Just
keep an eye on things.

Tao te Carl

"Jesus, just because it's a newsgroup doesn't mean you have to act like
adolescents." - Jon C.

Old July 9th 03, 10:15 PM
AndresMuro

Actually it depends. If you are using your lower back and upper back muscles to
push your arm forward, that is good, and you should be doing that. If, somehow
you are extending your shoulder by itself, that ain't good.

Try this.Cross your arm in front of you and reach with your hand behind your
back right under the arm pit, and hold feel back with your palm. Extend your
arm likke you do in swimming and try to feel your back muscles pushing your arm
foward and making your shoulder shrug. this is the correct motion and shouldn't
cause your shoulder to dislocate.

Andres

Old July 10th 03, 12:39 AM
Donal Fagan

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 11:58:57 -0400, Steve Freides
wrote:

I notice that, when I'm really reaching far in
front of during front crawl, I can get a little
further reach if I "shrug" my shoulder but I'm
concerned this might be bad for my shoulder.

I have a swim mag around here somewhere that
recommends shrugging the shoulder. I think they
called it the 'shoulder shift'. You should be
able to shrug without the ball leaving the socket,
though.

I'm trying to decide if I've gotten my stiff neck
from a low monitor, from not rolling enough in
Backstroke or from moving my own furniture.

Donal Fagan AIA

(Anglicise the name to reply by e-mail)
Old July 10th 03, 03:38 AM
Steve Freides

AndresMuro wrote:

Actually it depends. If you are using your lower back and upper back muscles to
push your arm forward, that is good, and you should be doing that. If, somehow
you are extending your shoulder by itself, that ain't good.

Try this.Cross your arm in front of you and reach with your hand behind your
back right under the arm pit, and hold feel back with your palm. Extend your
arm likke you do in swimming and try to feel your back muscles pushing your arm
foward and making your shoulder shrug. this is the correct motion and shouldn't
cause your shoulder to dislocate.

That's an excellent description - many thanks. I'll play around with it
a bit. My guess is that I'm doing both and that I need to drop the
shoulder shrug portion and keep the back muscles doing what they're now
doing, with a net result of a slightly shorter reach but a healthier
neck and shoulder.

Many thanks again.

-S-

Andres

Old January 5th 14, 06:22 PM
Pocelopolo Pocelopolo is offline
Junior Member

What I*read*I really liked it.*Thank you for*your information!

Hardgainer Bodybuilding & Weightlifting FAQ Rolo&Maria Weights 30 December 29th 04 10:32 PM
Shoulder Rebhab Question Steve Weights 6 April 29th 04 04:04 PM
Shrug Question Bruce Weights 34 February 27th 04 02:23 PM
For any OL's in the group Lyle McDonald Weights 22 August 1st 03 11:13 AM