What is wrong with NBC??

Old August 20th 04, 10:42 PM

Default What is wrong with NBC??

They said they were going to show the 10,000m final live.
The race is all over, Bekele must've finished showering
by now, but absolutely nothing on NBC.
This is just ridiculous. They should put an end to
exclusive coverage rights for big events like these.

Did anyone get to see it live? On the East Coast maybe?

Old August 20th 04, 11:19 PM
Tony

Yes NBC is brain dead. Here it started about 4pm -- when the coverage was
supposed to end, so those taping it might have missed it. I don't know if
it was live or not - it finished about 4:25 EDT.

- Tony

Old August 20th 04, 11:27 PM
[email protected]

Tony wrote:
Yes NBC is brain dead. Here it started about 4pm -- when the coverage was
supposed to end, so those taping it might have missed it. I don't know if
it was live or not - it finished about 4:25 EDT.

- Tony

Nope, that would not be live at all.
The race finished around 2300 Athens time which would be 1600 EDT.
At least you got to watch it. Here on the West Coast,
we were subject to watching Heat 10 of some swimming event.
Is this a bait and switch or what?

Old August 21st 04, 12:47 AM
Joel Rose

It was live on CBC, here in the north. The gold medalist ran the final 400m
in 53sec - he was basically sprinting the entire last lap. Very strong I
would say.

Old August 21st 04, 06:04 PM
\El Paisano\

wrote in message
They said they were going to show the 10,000m final live.
The race is all over, Bekele must've finished showering
by now, but absolutely nothing on NBC.
This is just ridiculous. They should put an end to
exclusive coverage rights for big events like these.

Did anyone get to see it live? On the East Coast maybe?

NBC showed it live. The problem was it started late in Athens so those video
taping probably got whitewater kayaking instead. To me the highlight of the
race was Bekele's last lap. It would have been good in the 1500m.

Old August 22nd 04, 06:29 AM
Brian B

NBC showed it live. The problem was it started late in Athens so those video
taping probably got whitewater kayaking instead.

From what I've heard, only the East Coast saw the 10K live; it was at
least an hour late in the rest of the USA. I was listening to a live
audio feed over the Internet while NBC was showing beach volleyball or
some such. A friend later told me she saw the race, but at least an
hour after I'd turned off the TV in disgust.

Brian B
Old August 22nd 04, 06:02 PM
Miss Anne Thrope

Yeah, you can tell the "big events" at the Olympics.......There are 12
people, instead of the normal 7, in the venue. NBC probably did a
research study, and found out only the events that involve bikinis as
uniforms, were being watched by anyone.

Old August 23rd 04, 01:15 PM
Doug Freese

"Brian B" wrote in message
m...
NBC showed it live. The problem was it started late in Athens so

those video
taping probably got whitewater kayaking instead.

From what I've heard, only the East Coast saw the 10K live; it was at
least an hour late in the rest of the USA. I was listening to a live
audio feed over the Internet while NBC was showing beach volleyball or
some such. A friend later told me she saw the race, but at least an
hour after I'd turned off the TV in disgust.

I don't think it possible to please all the people all the time - I know
an old adage. I do feel is the NBC converge is a million times better
than any previous major network format. There are actually showing
sports! GD Amazing! In past years the major networks would spend most of
time with BS hype of John/Jane's first bike ride with minimal sorts and
a bazillion commercials. We now get to see the entire venue, whether you
like it or not, with minimal commercial intrusion. For commercial TV
this is a hell of a step forward and I hope NBC holds market share. I
hate to see it go back sportless hype format.

-DougF