what am I getting wrong?

Old October 22nd 04, 10:08 PM
John Barrow

Default what am I getting wrong?

I have a question/comment which some of you may have a view on.. ;-)

I sometimes meet big (by huge I mean merely model-big rather than BBer big!)
guys in the gym who claim they used to be really skinny and built up their
mass in some relatively short time (usually a couple of years or so), using
such-and-such method. I've been working out, on and off, for three years,
and have at times tried to be serious about eating enough and lifting right.
Yet I've NEVER experienced a major change in LBM or appearance. I've never
made that jump from looking 'regular' to looking like I clearly lift
weights. Don't get me wrong, I've gained a ton of strength compared with
when I started, and certainly gained some mass, but nothing really radical.
FWIW my goals are purely cosmetic, I just want to have a model-type body.

I've always assumed that those supposedly once-skinny big guys are basically
lying, and were never all that skinny to start with. It's either that or
there's something seriously wrong with how I work out. I can't imagine
what - I certainly don't overtrain, and my growing gut seems evidence of
sufficient calories! I get plenty of protein and check my eating with a log
book. I stress again, I do see small gains, just that I'm not really that
much closer to my goals.

On a related note, when cutting, I never see the full six-pack. I've got
down to pretty low bf, and seen real definition on my arms, chest and other
areas, but still no six-pack. I've tried twice and ended up giving up both
times, since my moods were driving my girlfriend nuts!

So I'm feeling kind of disillusioned with the both bulking and cutting.
Ideally I'd like to be cut and decent sized, but failing that either size or
cut would do, but it seems my body doesn't want either! Hope this rant has
made some sense...

Maybe I just need to switch to HST or something...

John.

Old October 22nd 04, 10:10 PM
John Barrow

The subject line is almost a rhetorical question - I'm not looking for a
routine critique (yet!), but am just interested to find out if anyone else
out there has felt anything like the same way.

John.

Old October 23rd 04, 01:32 AM
aj

On 2004-10-22, John Barrow wrote:
The subject line is almost a rhetorical question - I'm not looking for a
routine critique (yet!), but am just interested to find out if anyone else
out there has felt anything like the same way.

John.

Yes. But then I unbroxored my diet and learned how to set up a lifting
program that made sense.

Now its just a matter of what goals to set. I can plot out when I'll
be meeting them to within a month.

--
-aj
Old October 23rd 04, 01:36 AM
John Barrow

unbroxored my diet

I'm not sure I undertsand this.

Old October 23rd 04, 02:21 AM
sandy

John, a lot of people will probably get upset when I say this,,,but the
truth is,,,,,some people who are skinny,,,,no matter what they do,,,,they
will always stay that way., unless they're on Steroids. They can eat a ton
of food,,,,,and they don't gain at all. If I were you, I would talk to a
trainer, and ask him exactly what you can hope to achieve., with your body
type.

Old October 23rd 04, 02:37 AM
John Barrow

John, a lot of people will probably get upset when I say this,,,but the
truth is,,,,,some people who are skinny,,,,no matter what they do,,,,they
will always stay that way., unless they're on Steroids. They can eat a ton
of food,,,,,and they don't gain at all. If I were you, I would talk to a
trainer, and ask him exactly what you can hope to achieve., with your body
type.

Thanks, Sandy, I appreciate the honesty!

I totally agree with the assertion that if one eats enough and trains hard
gains in muscle mass will occur. Certainly, I have gained, and continue to
do so. I guess it's just a little disheartening to slowly figure out that
there is not going to be any major leap forward, but just these tiny
changes, imperceptible to anyone but myself!

John.

Old October 23rd 04, 03:04 AM
aj

On 2004-10-22, John Barrow wrote:
unbroxored my diet

I'm not sure I undertsand this.

I failed to gain mass because I wasnt eating enough or enough protien.
I fixed this by counting.

I failed to lose fat because I was eating too much.
I fixed this by counting and became very disciplined.

I also picked up some helpful healthful hints from this NG and other
sourced about what oils to eat.

--
-aj
Old October 23rd 04, 03:10 AM
aj

On 2004-10-23, sandy wrote:
John, a lot of people will probably get upset when I say this,,,but the
truth is,,,,,some people who are skinny,,,,no matter what they do,,,,they
will always stay that way., unless they're on Steroids. They can eat a ton
of food,,,,,and they don't gain at all. If I were you, I would talk to a
trainer, and ask him exactly what you can hope to achieve., with your body
type.

No one's going to get upset just because you're very misinformed.

But, your use of commas is enough to irritate and top posting has been
known to drive me into a blind screaming rag---Rrrhhgh Urk! ARRHGHHHH!

AJ SMASH!!!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHGHHH!!!!!!!

--
-aj
Old October 23rd 04, 04:09 PM
John Barrow

I totally agree with the assertion that if one eats enough and trains
hard gains in muscle mass will occur. Certainly, I have gained, and
continue to do so. I guess it's just a little disheartening to slowly
figure out that there is not going to be any major leap forward, but just
these tiny changes, imperceptible to anyone but myself!

John.

This still doesn't make sense. If you can drive your bf% down to where you
can even think about a 6 pack, and you train with weights, just about
everyone should display a pretty obvious musculature.

You say you don't overtrain, but do you really push yourself, which is
needed to make gains? Go to failure occassionally, and make all sets
challenging? If you aren't growing muscles, are your lifts improving?

Both, but very slowly. Over a period of time my lifts get stronger and yes,
I do gain some mass, but not enough to make a huge visible difference. It's
one thing to gain a bit of mass that your workout partner notices, and
another to gain enough to make a shirt sit differently! I guess nothing
mysterious is going on, I'm frustrated at how slow the process is, and by
the fact when you start form a skinny baseline, it's quite an effort to just
get to a normal size!

John.