Scottish mountains - how on earth can anyone pronounce them?

Old December 15th 04, 12:06 AM
Peewiglet

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:52:00 GMT, "spongebob" wrote:

[...]
Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 15th 04, 12:09 AM
Peewiglet

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:03:13 GMT, Dave Mclaughlin
wrote:

[...]
Spongebob beat me to it - by about 30 seconds!!

http://www.munromagic.com/

Thank you too :-)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 15th 04, 12:10 AM
Peewiglet

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:01:51 GMT, "Sandy Birrell"
wrote:

[...]
Knowing how much you like to shop, these might help

http://www.hillwalker.org.uk/Products/Hillwalker/Munros/4/Reviews%20by%20Professionals/TM4%20Montagnes%20et%20Collines(in%20English).htm

Kewl, thanks!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 15th 04, 12:15 AM
AndyP

"spongebob" wrote

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

You get some good effects from doing loads of clicks in quick succession.
(Some of us are easily amused).

Old December 15th 04, 12:34 AM
Peewiglet

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:15:58 -0000, "AndyP"
wrote:

"spongebob" wrote

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

You get some good effects from doing loads of clicks in quick succession.
(Some of us are easily amused).

Oooh yes! I see what you mean!! :-)

Wow, my head's spinning now!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old December 15th 04, 12:44 AM
Roy

"spongebob" wrote in message

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Brilliant.

If your out on the hill without your iPod, Ralph Storer's "100 best routes
on Scottish mountains" has pronunciations.

Roy.

Old December 15th 04, 01:41 AM
BeauGeste

ok I'm drunk now, after the office christmas dinner but...
Hmm - God know if this has already been posted - why doesn't stuff just
work...? Bah humbug... Anyway, as I was saying...

1. Ignore Ralph Storer! Before I became a munro-bagger I followed his
routes and climbed the middle 2 peaks of the South Shiel Ridge. Middle
two? What use was that!! Any decent guide would have told you to get
off your bum and do the whole ridge, 7 munros and all. Which I did
several years later, feeling aggrieved that I was having to repeat a
couple because of Ralph Storer.

2. I hate the use of the word 'kewl'! Please bring back flogging for
all who should know better...

3. Finally, more to the point, I just try and pronounce the Scottish
hills in English. So when I've taken a pic on my digital I press the
record button and say 'This is me at the top of 'Sgoor Fuooar Fuill'
(Sgurr Fhuar-thuill). Totally mispronounced, of course, but what the
hell, eh. As long as it means something to you.

Old December 15th 04, 10:35 AM
Syke

"spongebob" wrote in message

"Peewiglet" wrote

I've been poring over the map of Scotland, but no sooner to I begin

develop an idea of where I might like to walk than I forget where it
was, because I can't begin to pronounce about 95% of the place

names.

Is it all a malignant plot to keep nesh Southerners out?

How on earth does anyone ever tell anyone else where they've been?

Or
do those in the know just make a few gutteral grunting noises and

make
it up as they go along?

Try http://www.munromagic.com/

You can click and listen to the pronunciation.

Graham

But be careful. I wouldn't know myself, but a friend's wife, who is a native
Gaelic speaker, tells me the pronunciation on this site is not very good.

Regards

Pat Macguire

Old December 15th 04, 10:57 AM
spongebob

"Syke" wrote

But be careful. I wouldn't know myself, but a friend's wife, who is

a native
Gaelic speaker, tells me the pronunciation on this site is not very

good.

Yes, I did wonder how much Gaelic varies across Western Scotland
(Liathach being the one everyone debates about -th =g or th =
silent?). The language is supposed to be logical, yet there seems to
be room for dispute?

Graham