Sorry, j, I was wrong...

Old September 1st 05, 10:33 PM
Martin Smith

Default Sorry, j, I was wrong...

It's not the Expected Gain you want to compute, it's the Expectation,
the mean of the probability distribution. In other words, if you do the
draw a hundred times, say, you will get a number of white balls each
time. The number will be in the range 0..17. After you do the hundred
repetitions of the draw, you plot the results on a graph. On the X axis
you map the number of white balls you got, 0..17. On the Y axis you map
the number of times you got each number of white balls. You plot the
points and draw the line. It will be a bell shaped curve. I said it
would be 9, because it will peak between 9 and 10 but closer to 9.

But you can work it out without actually doing the experiment.

6 is less likely than 7, 8, or 9. And 10. Maybe even 11.
Old September 2nd 05, 09:37 PM
jtaylor

"Martin Smith" wrote in message
It's not the Expected Gain you want to compute, it's the Expectation,

Why would I wish to calculate such a thing?

Old September 5th 05, 08:36 AM
Martin Smith

"jtaylor" wrote:

"Martin Smith" wrote in message
It's not the Expected Gain you want to compute, it's the Expectation,

Why would I wish to calculate such a thing?

"Like everything else, it depends."