Chocolate Milk May Improve Recovery After Exercise

Old March 1st 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.running

Default Chocolate Milk May Improve Recovery After Exercise

Feb. 27, 2006 - Chocolate milk is an effective postexercise drink that
improves recovery, according to the results of a small, randomized
trial reported in the February issue of the International Journal of
Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. More he
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370.

--
Phil M.

Old March 1st 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.running

Phil wrote:
Feb. 27, 2006 - Chocolate milk is an effective postexercise drink
that improves recovery

Do they say anything about chocolate stout?

Old March 1st 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.running

"Charlie Pendejo" wrote:

Do they say anything about chocolate stout?

I hust learned of that stuff's existence yesterday in our local grocery
supermarket (they have a "UK specialities" stand). Is it any good?
Old March 1st 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.running

steve common wrote:
"Charlie Pendejo" wrote:

Do they say anything about chocolate stout?

I hust learned of that stuff's existence yesterday in our local grocery
supermarket (they have a "UK specialities" stand). Is it any good?

YES!!!!

It's by far my favorite beer. I can't remember the brand I've tried, but
it was a British company and a chocolate stout. It was superb. I need
to get some more, I drank the last one last week.

Teresa in AZ

Old March 1st 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.running

On 1 Mar 2006 06:29:57 -0800, "Phil M." wrote:

Feb. 27, 2006 - Chocolate milk is an effective postexercise drink that
improves recovery, according to the results of a small, randomized
trial reported in the February issue of the International Journal of
Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. More he
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370.

This came up before. All the reports seem to be the same study.

Well, 9 subjects for 2 exercycle sessions for 3 days:
http://www.humankinetics.com/IJSNEM/...e.cfm?aid=5576
"Nine male, endurance-trained cyclists performed an interval workout
followed by 4 h of recovery, and a subsequent endurance trial to
exhaustion at 70% VO2max, on three separate days. Immediately
following the first exercise bout and 2 h of recovery, subjects drank
isovolumic amounts of chocolate milk, fluid replacement drink (FR), or
carbohydrate replacement drink (CR), in a single-blind, randomized
design. Carbohydrate content was equivalent for chocolate milk and CR.
Time to exhaustion (TTE), average heart rate (HR), rating of perceived
exertion (RPE), and total work (WT) for the endurance exercise were
compared between trials. TTE and WT were significantly greater for
chocolate milk and FR trials compared to CR trial. The results of this
study suggest that chocolate milk is an effective recovery aid between
two exhausting exercise bouts."

CBS News reveals:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1342839.shtml
"The study was partly funded by the Dairy and Nutrition Council, an
industry group."

Hmmm... do I detect a vast udder wing conspiracy?! 8-)

Still, chocolate milk is probably cheaper than Endurox. And,
/whatever works for *you*/. "We are each an experiment of one," as
the late Dr. George Sheehan said.

My current favorite protein-containing shake: 8 oz. milk, 1 scoop
Lindberg Protein Blend (vanilla)
http://shop.nutritionexpress.com/pro...m=99-454&Add=N
("Protein comes from soy, whey, milk and egg whites. Only 2 grams of
carbohydrates, and 1 gram of lactose per serving. No artificial
sweeteners, flavors or colors.") and a tablespoon of brown sugar (just
cause it adds a yummy factor. I can do these in a "shaker" cup with
lid -- if I add banana or yogurt I need to use and then clean the
blender. Adding a few ice cubes helps mix -- like the marble in the
spray paint can!

Peace,

--
Daniel

Old March 2nd 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.running

these studies are almost always horse ****.
the placebo effect for one thing. smarter and healthier people follow
directions better.

Old March 2nd 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.running

Teresa wrote:
steve common wrote:
Is [chocolate stout] any good?

YES!!!!

It's by far my favorite beer. I can't remember the brand I've tried

Samuel Smith, is it?

I think that's what I've had, and seem to remember it fondly.

And as a recovery drink it's probably a little protein-shy. Which is really
just an invitation to pair it with food. :-)

This all reminds me: last year when I was trying to learn a little Russian
before traveling to St. Petersburg, I mentioned this fact to my childhood
best friend, who works at a University library. Friend doesn't speak the
language but did teach himself the cyrillic alphabet. He's always been
intrigued by the Russians, Eastern Europeans, Mongolians, Tuvans, Uighurs,
pretty much anyone within a stone's throw of the former Soviet Union.
Knowing the alphabet helps when he needs to deal with Russian technical
journals etc.

So one day his colleague has apparently brought in a Russian pastry.
"What's that one," he asks, genuinely curious, "SNAW-suh-laht-yeh SNEER, the
label says?" "Uh, dude, that would be a chocolate chip muffin."

Old March 2nd 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.running

"Charlie Pendejo" wrote:

Samuel Smith, is it?

Aha! Brewery is about 7 miles from the village of my birth.

Here's the brewery location, in Tadcaster
http://tinyurl.com/nn5wt

http://www.tadcaster.uk.com/breweriesSamuelSmith.htm

But I can't find reference to them brewing an explicitly-named choco ale,
even if some of their brews looked/tasted the part, iirc?

PS The running link is that my first and only cross country race on
British soil was done about 7 miles down the A162 from Tadcaster, when I
was at "junior high" in Sherburn in Elmet, circa 1974 P
Old March 2nd 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.running

steve common wrote:
"Charlie Pendejo" wrote:

Samuel Smith, is it?

Aha! Brewery is about 7 miles from the village of my birth.

Isn't this the stuff you're looking for?

http://www.youngs.co.uk/ProductPage....1&&productID=6

Available from Tesco stores.

Tim

Old March 2nd 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.running

"Tim Downie" wrote:

Isn't this the stuff you're looking for?

http://www.youngs.co.uk/ProductPage....1&&productID=6

Available from Tesco stores.

The saddest thing, after the fact that New York isn't as easy to get to
from here as is Paris, is that there's no Tesco's in Toulouse yet P
I'll have a look at the label in "Leclerc".