Expedition 15 - Carneddau - Trip Reports

Old July 12th 04, 10:59 PM
sandy saunders

Default Expedition 15 - Carneddau - Trip Reports

Soon, soon.

Sorry about the delay. I'd hoped to get a few online last night but was
distracted by visitors. This morning I woke up with a dreadful cold, so
I've been feeling rough all day. I had an iffy chest on the Friday and
woke up with a sore throat on the Saturday so this has been brewing for
a little while. Luckily it didn't hit me full force until after the
expedition.

Sorry your under the weather Paul ....... nothing to do with the 'social'
Exped weekend I take it!

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

"Mountains or Mole Hills ..... reaching the
summit still brings the same excitement"

Old July 12th 04, 11:15 PM
Gordon

W. D. Grey wrote
In article , Judith
writes
So, in summary, all of you who think that URW Expeds are too "tough"
(or too easy) should come along anyway. There's plenty of scope for
splitting the group into those who want to push themselves and those
who want to take things a little easier....

I can agree with most of what you say Judith, or at least half of what
you say. The last sentence doesn't ring true.

For example Paul S knows the walks I like, and can do, but there are
never any walks of that nature suggested and no one wants to do walks of
5 to 6 or even 7 miles without any macho scrambling or lovely rocky
ridges!

I would love to be able to join in to the full, and I can complete
decent walks in spite of the opinion that seems to be prevalent.

I regret that I shall have to reconsider my future attendance at
Expeditions as far a walking is concerned. I don't want to walk on my
own due to the lack if interest in lesser but still invigorating walks.
The Expedition has developed an uk.rec.hard*******s element which does
not give encouragement to those less fortunate to join in.

The social side of things was second to none and I can't agree more that
for that side of proceedings alone I would come along.

I must agree Bill that 3000+ ft of ascent doesn't sound like fun to me,
although it did 30 years ago. :-)

I really don't think I am compatible with the group, having no interest
whatsoever in 'bagging'.

The longest walk I have done this year is 8 miles, and it was a
revelation to see how attractive the Ribble Valley is in Lancashire.

So much so that I repeated the walk a few weeks later with a different
companion.
--
Gordon
Old July 12th 04, 11:22 PM
Paul Saunders

DAY TWO - FRIDAY

I awoke with a sore throat. The morning was beautiful. At one point
there was hardly a cloud in the sky. Someone remarked that it looked
like a great day for a walk. Naturally by the time we got going most of
the sunshine had gone, replaced by a mostly cloudy sky.

We left an hour later than usual, at 10:30am. Nine of us trudged
quickly along the road toward Capel Curig, turning right into the woods
at the school. First point of interest was a fenced wooded area
containing three llamas. Once out of the woods the first crag came into
view, Clogwyn Mawr, the beginning of the rock ridge we'd planned to
follow. It was steeper and rockier than I'd imagined and required some
easy scrambling, but you definitely couldn't walk up it. It could
probably have been bypassed but most were happy to scramble up it.

David shouted down to Judith that it wasn't necessary to climb to the
top and could be bypassed. A few chose to do so, but most reached the
summit. It proved to be an excellent viewpoint, looking straight up the
valley toward the Snowdon Horseshoe. We were blessed with a little sun
at this time, but the dark menacing clouds in the distance were growing
fast.

A quick descent led to another minor rocky peak, then we headed off
across the undulating grassy and rocky ground of Clogwyn Cigfran, past
the boggy Llyn y Coryn, to eventually gain the summit of Crimpiau. The
first splats of showery rain started to fall as we approached Crimpiau,
with various walkers choosing to stop at diffferent times to don
waterproofs. Although the rain was light it didn't look like it was
ease off anytime soon, and it didn't. Most had a snack at the summit of
Crimpiau. I didn't, which proved to be a mistake.

The double cragged Craig Wen looked impressive across the col, which was
a lot deeper than I'd realised. Just after starting our descent, Judith
slipped on a wet rock and cut her hand. Luckily it wasn't too bad and
she applied appropriate first aid. The ascent to Craig Wen resulted in
a sudden loss of energy for me and I immediately felt very fatigued. I
probably should have had a snack on Crimpiau.

There were two main crags on Craig Wen (a Dewey) and although the north
one is marked as the highest on the map, the other has no spot height so
it's not certain which is the higher. The peak baggers amongst us
climbed them both to make sure, and my GPS indicated the north crag to
be 10m higher than the south. Even allowing for the non-Egnos corrected
non-barometrically smoothed reading, any error in the 12 satellite
reading was probably less than the difference, so it seems pretty
certain that the north summit is the highest.

At the north summit my legs were almost turning to jelly so I had to
stop to eat. Martin, David and Roger continued without me, to catch up
the others who'd bypassed the summit completely. I ate a whole packet
of dried fruit to give me some much needed fructose energy. By the time
I restarted the rain was heading in from the west in earnest, and I
wondered if Bill and Fran were underneath that mass of misty cloud I
could see in the distance above Llyn Idwal.

The rest of the party were some two to three hundred metres ahead of me
when I emerged from the Craig Wen crags. I saw David crossing the boggy
col in the distance ahead of me. As I crossed the wide flat boggy col
my right boot filled with water through the holes in the leather. I
really must replace my Brashers. My left foot got soaked too, although
I don't recall when exactly. By this point I couldn't really care less,
my lack of energy was more of a concern.

As I walked up the steep slope of Moel Ddefaid a new problem arose. The
muscles in my thighs became very painful. I'm not sure if it was cramps
or if I was pulling the muscles, but I ended up limping my way up the
hill (with the help of walking poles) to the spot where the others had
chosen to rest. I began to suspect that doing the whole walk was
unlikely to be a possibility for me.

After some more snacking I felt a bit better and thought I could manage
the rest of the ridge at least, since most of the ascent had already
been done, but within 20 metres of restarting the walk my thigh muscles
began to play up once more and I found myself doubtful that I could even
reach the top of the hill. I persisted, and with frequent stops I
managed to reach the Craiglwyn Nuttall.

Walking on flat ground was no problem at all and psychologically I
wanted to continue, but looking at the steep slope rising to the main
summit of the ridge, the Marilyn of Creigiau Gleision south, I realised
that my legs most likely would not cooperate. I could probably have
done it if I chose to endure the pain, but then I started thinking about
why I liked hillwalking in the first place. It's supposed to be fun.
If my legs are painful and it's pouring down with rain, then really,
what's the point? If it had been sunny I may have continued for the
photographs, but instead I opted to opt out and turn back. Judith
agreed and was happy to turn back with me. Biggles and Phil continued
to bag the Marilyn then turned back also, leaving the five "hard men" to
complete the full walk as originally planned.

The descent to the road at Afon Llugwy was fairly easy, across rough
grassland but not too steep. When we reached the barbed wire fence we
chose to follow it to the right to reach the nearby footpath. The rest
of the walk was easy, eventually following the road to Capel Curig and
beyond. We met Charlie and co at the petrol station but there was no
room in the van for us. A few moments later, Phil and Paul drove past
and stopped to give us a lift back to the campsite. For me and Judith
the walk was some 10km or so, ascent unknown as yet.

So even though we didn't complete the whole walk, we still managed a
reasonable distance and bagged a few bumps enroute. The walking was
enjoyable and I got plenty of decent photos. I'll have to go back and
do that again when I'm a bit fitter and the weather is better.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Old July 12th 04, 11:32 PM
Judith

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:22:16 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
wrote:

Just after starting our descent, Judith
slipped on a wet rock and cut her hand

Cor, I'm sounding like a right girl, aren't I? Won't climb hills and
can't stand up.

BTW, the hand is fine. The cut has gone a bit crispy round the edges
but I don't think amputation is called for. I need two hands to make
cakes.

Judith
Old July 12th 04, 11:38 PM
Paul Saunders

Judith wrote:

Cor, I'm sounding like a right girl, aren't I?

Well in your case it's better than sounding like a man...

Won't climb hills and
can't stand up.

I think you've proved that you can climb hills. You can even do a bit
of scrambling if necessary. You didn't wimp out of that.

Don't you think that you could get more of a taste for it though, if you
did a bit more of it? After all, you did attempt Tryfan the day after.
Maybe you secretly yearn for a bit of scrambling in your life? ;-)

BTW, the hand is fine. The cut has gone a bit crispy round the edges
but I don't think amputation is called for. I need two hands to make
cakes.

Well that's very good news!

Paul

Old July 13th 04, 12:11 AM
Paul Saunders

The group photo;
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/exp15/group.jpg

Paul

Old July 13th 04, 12:16 AM
Darren G

"Paul Saunders" wrote in
:

http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/exp15/group.jpg

Ughh, Scary! But at least I might come next time now that I know I
won't look out of place!!
Old July 13th 04, 12:21 AM
Judith

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:11:47 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
wrote:

The group photo;
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/exp15/group.jpg

Paul

Paul

I'm not sure how well you know photoshop, but could you move those
people out of the way, please. I can't see the tents. ;-)

Ta

Judith
Old July 13th 04, 12:25 AM
Judith

On 12 Jul 2004 23:16:27 GMT, Darren G wrote:

Ughh, Scary! But at least I might come next time now that I know I
won't look out of place!!

In our defence, Paul dragged people out of bed to take that photo.
(Apart from those wierdoes who had been up since 6am)

Judith
Old July 13th 04, 12:29 AM
Paul Saunders

Judith wrote:

I'm not sure how well you know photoshop, but could you move those
people out of the way, please. I can't see the tents. ;-)

How's this?
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/misc/exp15/tents.jpg

Paul