Question about walking/burning fat/building muscle

Old February 3rd 06, 06:46 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Default Question about walking/burning fat/building muscle

Hi all,first time in this group.I started walking daily on the treadmill 4
weeks ago.I started at about 50 min per day at 3.3 mph,and now I am up to 90
mins per day at the same speed.(50 minutes just dosent cut it anymore!)
about 5.5 miles per day

I weighed myself first day,and decided to leave it 4 weeks til i weigh
myself again,which was today,and I lost 18 pounds,which i was quite proud
of. I have been eating right and all that too,cut out beer and crisps(potato
chips) and other stuff.Some clothes now fit me better,even after 4 weeks..

Obviously i have burned off bodyfat,and my legs feel more toned and more
defined,so my question is,is it possible that i have built up a bit of
muscle on my legs,which could have offset the weight loss a bit? Could I
have actually burned more fat than the scales suggest? I know that the
muscle weighs more than fat,so could some of the fat have been replaced with
muscle by just walking?

thanks

Andrew

Old February 3rd 06, 08:36 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

Damned wrote:
[...]

yes it could. but you will never know since you didn't measure body fat
at the beginning. That is the only way you would have known if your
lean body mass increased. You could get it measured now and see what
happens in the next couple months.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,
Old February 3rd 06, 10:10 PM posted to misc.fitness.walking

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
Damned wrote:

Obviously i have burned off bodyfat,and my legs feel more toned and more
defined,so my question is,is it possible that i have built up a bit of
muscle on my legs,which could have offset the weight loss a bit? Could I
have actually burned more fat than the scales suggest? I know that the
muscle weighs more than fat,so could some of the fat have been replaced
with muscle by just walking?

yes it could. but you will never know since you didn't measure body fat
at the beginning. That is the only way you would have known if your lean
body mass increased. You could get it measured now and see what happens
in the next couple months.

I got one of those body-fat-measuring scales after I'd lost quite a bit of
weight -- and considering the fat % result I got then, I must have been
*really* fatty before! And I came down some more in the ensuing months --
fun to watch!
bj

Old February 4th 06, 02:27 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
Damned wrote:
[...]

I saw on TV that the best method to measure it is that one where the person
is immersed in water,can't remember what it's called. That would be a good
idea but i bet it is damn expensive !

Old February 4th 06, 04:38 AM posted to misc.fitness.walking

"me" wrote in message

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
Damned wrote:
[...]

I have gotten measured using something that is called the "bod pod" by
the folks that run it at the Mayo Clinic. It is the same idea but uses
air displacement rather than water to measure body fat. It shouldn't be
too expensive. Or a good operator with calipers is said to be pretty
accurate. Check with the local health clubs. Some of them provide this
service.

Or if you have access to a pool you can do the water thing yourself. Use
small weights or plastic bags of air to determine your underwater weight
with all air blown out of lungs. Look up in table based on dry and
underwater weight.

del