Best Place to Live in the UK?

Old February 8th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default Best Place to Live in the UK?

The Reid wrote:

I like to have a choice of pubs, restaurants and theatre etc
without driving.

I prefer to have a choice of hills, waterfalls,
coastline etc. within easy travelling distance.

I'd prefer both!

Wouldn't we all?

I thought it was worth starting a new thread about this, I don't think we've
ever discussed this subject properly. So let's state the question fully;

Where is the best place (town/city) to live in the UK, providing;
1. Good scenery within short travelling distance, e.g. hills and/or
coastline.
2. Good urban facilities, hence it must be in a town or city.

Without the second requirement I'm sure there'd be a thousand different
answers, but given that most people need jobs and thus need to live in towns
and cities, let's limit ourselves to those.

I've spent some time in the past thinking about this problem, and IIRC this
was my city shortlist;

1. Plymouth. Right next to Dartmoor and excellent coastal scenery.
2. Aberdeen. Next to the Cairngorms. Coast doesn't look that interesting
and may be quite a bleak place to live on the east coast.
3. Edinburgh. Perhaps not that close to the hills, but a very nice city to
live (so I gather) and a good base for Scotland.

In addition, I'd have to add Swansea to that list, perhaps in second place.
Not out of personal bias, but it does fit my above criteria well, it has
easy access to the Brecon Beacons and the excellent Gower coast right on
it's doorstep. Cardiff also has good access to the Beacons but loses out to
Swansea in the coastal department.

To be honest, there aren't many cities in the UK well placed with respect to
dramatic scenery. But of course it depends how you define a city. If we
enlarge the scope to include towns, the possibilities increase dramatically.
So here's a few suggestions (I'll restrict myself to Wales, for obvious
reasons);

1. Bangor. Currently my favourite Welsh option. Right next to the highest
mountains in Wales (Tryfan is just 11 miles up the road), it's right next to
Anglesey and Lleyn is just down the road. It's a university town so there
are lots of youngsters living there, which probably means lot of computer
shops, etc. Looking at the bigger picture, it has excellent road access to
England. The Lake District is only slightly further away from Bangor than
Bangor is from Swansea, so if I lived there I'd be able to get to the ELD as
easily as I can currently get to Snowdonia (if not more easily, the roads
are better).

2. Porthmadog. Taking a more Welsh-centric point of view, this is a much
better centre for access to the whole of Snowdonia, Lleyn and Anglesey. It
also has the benefit of being on a south-west facing coast rather than
north, so unlike Bangor it's well sheltered from northerly winds, and from
westerlies too. It also has a really cool craggy 262m hill - Moel y Gest -
rising directly from the town, which is a terrific viewpoint and would make
for a great early morning stroll each day to keep fit (or to walk the dog?).
Apparently this town is a favourite with artists because of the harbour, and
of course Portmeirion is nearby.

3. Blaenau Ffestiniog. I'll include this because it's probably as central
as you can get if you truly want to be in the middle of Snowdonia, but it's
such a grotty place to live (surrounded by slate heaps, highest rainfall in
Wales) they've cut it out of the Snowdonia park! (that's why there's a hole
in the middle) If you want theatres and culture, forget it. Plenty of
unemployment though, if you want to sign your name for a living, and house
prices are extremely cheap (and all made of slate of course). Although
there's a theory that the sun never shines in BF, I actually think it has
tremendous character. I've never seen so many different shades of grey in
one place before! (That's the sort of thing you notice in BF, since there's
no bright colours to distract you - great for black and white photography!)

One more suggestion - Inverness. Seems like a terrific central location for
the whole of Scotland north of Glasgow and Edinburgh, with Black Isle and
Loch Ness on your doorstep.

Any more?

Paul

Old February 8th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Paul Saunders wrote:

3. Edinburgh. Perhaps not that close to the hills, but a very nice city to
live (so I gather) and a good base for Scotland.

Depending on how many urban facilities you want you might be better off
in Perth or Inverness, which are much better suited to ready access to
the hills. For Inverness, more access to more coast too, and in Perth
still only 25 miles from the sea and with a major set of paddling rivers
and lochs right by you. Dundee's well off in these respects too, but
for most mountain access aside from the Angus Glens the first thing you
do is drive to Perth...

Glasgow is a better base than Embra for the West Coast. Personally I
prefer Embra, but there are many weegies who think that's sacrilege and
clearly prefer their side of things. Aberdeen is also well suited to
mountain access, though it's on a bit of an isolated corner compared to
Perth and Inverness.

One more suggestion - Inverness. Seems like a terrific central location for
the whole of Scotland north of Glasgow and Edinburgh, with Black Isle and
Loch Ness on your doorstep.

he's catching on... ;-) Though Loch Ness isn't actually That Great in
terms of much at all aside from size compared to other lochs. Perth is,
I'd say, better connected to get to A Random Place in Scotland. I've
not really any major complaints about Dundee.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old February 8th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to Paul Saunders

3. Blaenau Ffestiniog. I'll include this because it's probably as central
as you can get if you truly want to be in the middle of Snowdonia, but it's
such a grotty place to live (surrounded by slate heaps, highest rainfall in
Wales) they've cut it out of the Snowdonia park! (that's why there's a hole
in the middle) If you want theatres and culture, forget it. Plenty of
unemployment though, if you want to sign your name for a living, and house
prices are extremely cheap (and all made of slate of course). Although
there's a theory that the sun never shines in BF, I actually think it has
tremendous character. I've never seen so many different shades of grey in
one place before! (That's the sort of thing you notice in BF, since there's
no bright colours to distract you - great for black and white photography!)

For photography its interesting, I grant you.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email [email protected] this site
Old February 8th 06, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to Paul Saunders

1. Plymouth. Right next to Dartmoor and excellent coastal scenery.

I don't know Plymouth but somewhere in the west country near the
coast path and the moors for letterboxing would be good, what
about Exeter?

2. Aberdeen. Next to the Cairngorms. Coast doesn't look that interesting
and may be quite a bleak place to live on the east coast.

Hmmm, freezing east coast oil town? Still good for snow and
wildlife, ferries to northern isles too.

3. Edinburgh. Perhaps not that close to the hills, but a very nice city to
live (so I gather) and a good base for Scotland.

must be a top 3 choice.

In addition, I'd have to add Swansea to that list, perhaps in second place.
Not out of personal bias,

of course not! If its good enough for Tups (Tubs?) it good enough
for me :-)

but it does fit my above criteria well, it has
easy access to the Brecon Beacons and the excellent Gower coast right on
it's doorstep. Cardiff also has good access to the Beacons but loses out to
Swansea in the coastal department.

To be honest, there aren't many cities in the UK well placed with respect to
dramatic scenery. But of course it depends how you define a city. If we
enlarge the scope to include towns, the possibilities increase dramatically.
So here's a few suggestions (I'll restrict myself to Wales, for obvious
reasons);

what about Manchester? 100 miles from the ELD, I don't know it
but I get good reports.

I'll vote for London because nobody else is going to and if
Saunders of the Gower is voting for Swansea....

Advantages.
1 Whale watching.
2 Easiest LDFP.
3 Climb Mt Pleasant.
4 More wild parrots than you can shake a stick at.
5 Streets paved with gold.
6 Prettiest girls
7 Less racism, sexism, homophobia than a lot of places
8 best theatres, restros etc etc

Drawbacks
Er, hmmmm, no hills or wild areas :-(
Old February 8th 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

I live just north of Manchester
1 Hour to Ambleside
1 Hour to Dales
1 Hour to Stanage
40 mins to Trough of Bowland
2 and a bit hours to Snowdonia
30 mins centre of Manchester
Not a bad spot though I still want to live in the Lakes.

Old February 8th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Are house prices a factor? If so, Edinburgh is expensive.
What about Chester? Easy access to North Wales, Peak District close
by, not far from M6. Don't know about local ameneties and house
prices. Nearest bit of coastline (Flintshire) is a bit grotty I
suppose.

Simon

Old February 8th 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

My contribution is a 2/3 mile band north of Portsouth to Worthing. And why?

1. The South Downs, although not very hight, presents a fine walking region
with varied landscape depending on the area walked.

2. The Dorset coastline (Swanage to Weymouth Bay) is a mere 70 miles from
Portsmouth with good road access. Fantastic cliff walks along the South
West Coast Path.

3. Easy reach of Southampton, Portsmouth, Winchester and even London by
train for the shopping/emplyment/city nightlife.

4. And to another extreme, once at Winchester, you can drive all the way to
Penrith on dual carriageway/motorway giving good driving access (barring
roadworks!) to those wondeful lakeland Fells.

5. Finally, not forgetting the Welsh contingent, a drive up the A34 and
long the M4 soon brings the Brecon Beacons into play.

Need I say more!

--
Sandy Saunders @ www.thewalkzone.co.uk

'Mountains or Mole Hills .....
summiting still brings the
same excitement'

Old February 8th 06, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Following up to sandy saunders

4. And to another extreme, once at Winchester, you can drive all the way to
Penrith on dual carriageway/motorway giving good driving access (barring
roadworks!) to those wondeful lakeland Fells.

I can drive to the ELD on all duals from less than 1 mile from my
house!
Old February 8th 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

3. Edinburgh.

Depending on how many urban facilities you want

Me personally, I don't need much, I'd be happy living in a tiny village or
on a farm and simply ordering stuff from the internet. I'd have to have
broadband though! For purposes of this thread though, I'm assuming an urban
area with reasonable facilities.

you might be better off in Perth or Inverness, which are much better
suited to ready access to the hills. For Inverness, more access to more
coast too, and in Perth still only 25 miles from the sea

Personally I'd like to be near the sea. I've spent most of my life living
within sight of the sea and I'd like to keep it that way, preferably with
mountains too. Torridon seems ideal, but that doesn't count in this thread.

Glasgow is a better base than Embra for the West Coast.

Embra? Local name for Edinburgh?

Never liked the sound of Glasgow, but is that just the impression I get from
TV?

Personally I prefer Embra, but there are many weegies who think that's
sacrilege and clearly prefer their side of things. Aberdeen is also well
suited to mountain access, though it's on a bit of an isolated corner
compared to Perth and Inverness.

Yes, Aberdeen does seem to have some disadvantages.

One more suggestion - Inverness.

he's catching on... ;-)

Oh yes. It gets my number one vote in the UK as a whole (not including
Wales of course).

Though Loch Ness isn't actually That Great in terms of much at all aside
from size compared to other lochs.

Good access route though?

Perth is, I'd say, better connected to get to A Random Place in Scotland.

Is it? I wasn't really looking at the road network, just the topography.

Paul

Old February 8th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

"The Reid" wrote

3. Blaenau Ffestiniog.

For photography its interesting, I grant you.

Apparently it gets cut off for two to three weeks each year due to snow,
it's the highest village/town in Wales.

One good thing about BF is that you could go off on long backpacking trips
around Snowdonia direct from your front door (or back door). You wouldn't
have to take the car, which is probably a good thing because it might fool
the local scum into thinking that you are still at home.

Paul