Worst road to a mountain

Old April 27th 09, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]

Default Worst road to a mountain

Graham Seed wrote

Here's the Lincoln to Skegness road :-)
http://www.withfriendship.com/user/s...to-yakutsk.php

Bank Holiday weekend, I see ! :-D

Chris

Old April 27th 09, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Fellwalker

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:25:34 +0100, "Doug Hughes"
wrote:

Loch Arkaig road. It's got all the hairpins and slopes you could ever (not)
wish for - you know the kind where the road ahead disappears under the
bonnet? At the end, on a busy weekend, there are people crying, vomiting,
gibbering, frozen in shock and horror, begging for any alternative to
driving back again. When I climbed Sgurr Mor I also climbed Sgurr an
Fhuaran, mostly on the basis of 'I'm not coming all the way out here again'.
Now I'm half-way through the Corbetts, and I know the road lies in wait for
me once more...

I will search it out!
--
Mike "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk"
remove boots to email
Old April 27th 09, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

Here's the Lincoln to Skegness road :-)
http://www.withfriendship.com/user/s...to-yakutsk.php
Graham

LOL - and that's just coming out of the campsite, I presume ;-)

Jhimmy

Old May 3rd 09, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Phil Cook[_2_]

Fellwalker wrote:

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 20:24:53 +0100, "Jhimmy"
wrote:

What's your worst, so I can avoid them?

M1/M6 Friday nights

M! southbound on Sunday afternoon.

The locals in Mull used to sell window stickers that read

"I've survived the A848 Tobermory to Salen.
The worst A road in Britain"

This single track road was so badly rutted and pot-holed that to get a
smooth surface you had to drive with one set of wheels right on the
edge and so were in constant danger of falling off the road
altogether.
--
Phil Cook, last hill: Carn a Caim on the east side of the Drumochter Pass
http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old May 3rd 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Phil Cook[_2_]

Doug Hughes wrote:

Loch Arkaig road. It's got all the hairpins and slopes you could ever (not)
wish for - you know the kind where the road ahead disappears under the
bonnet? At the end, on a busy weekend, there are people crying, vomiting,
gibbering, frozen in shock and horror, begging for any alternative to
driving back again. When I climbed Sgurr Mor I also climbed Sgurr an
Fhuaran, mostly on the basis of 'I'm not coming all the way out here again'.
Now I'm half-way through the Corbetts, and I know the road lies in wait for
me once more...

Ah yes, that road was once described as making profligate use of all
three dimensions having deleterious effect on the fourth. The lower
reaches were trashed by the forestry commision a while ago but they
repaired it when they finished.

It can be fun, when you know a road well and know where the sightlines
are, to drive like a bit of a loon on these roads, especially when you
have an unsuspecting hitch-hiker on board :-)
Old May 3rd 09, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Phil Cook[_2_]

Jhimmy wrote:

Here's the Lincoln to Skegness road :-)
http://www.withfriendship.com/user/s...to-yakutsk.php
Graham

LOL - and that's just coming out of the campsite, I presume ;-)

You didn't see us trying to start Martin's car by a combination of
towing and pushing on expedition one then?
--
Phil Cook, last hill: Carn a Caim on the east side of the Drumochter Pass
http://www.therewaslight.co.uk

Where will Bush rank? He's only fifth worst Wayne Weights 464 January 23rd 07 11:06 PM
The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- Why Off-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited [email protected] Weights 1 October 25th 06 01:36 AM
MAY THE WORST MAN WIN ! fred Running 15 October 19th 06 01:29 AM
Protein craps are the worst.. mike Weights 7 December 23rd 05 05:31 AM
Midges worst ever? Leonard Trim Walking in the UK 27 September 11th 03 10:31 PM