Pyrenees Ordessa & Gavarnie - camping & temperatures.

Old July 15th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
brianwf

Default Pyrenees Ordessa & Gavarnie - camping & temperatures.

Did you hike the whole GR11? How long did it take? Was it worth it? ...
so
many questions ... so little time off work

Brendan

Yes my wife and walked the whole GR11, original plan was to walk half
in June and other half in September, however we got as far as Sallent
de Gallego having struggled through knee deep snow and had to abandon
as the terrain was only getting wilder and higher, returned in
September and got as far as Pugicerda and then went back in June to
finish; in total we were walking 40 days.

Was it worth it YES YES YES; by far the best long distance walk I have
done, fantastic scenery, unbelievable wild camps and so so few people
(other than the Ordessa). Incedentally the main reason Goriz is so
busy is because the overwhelming majority seem to be walking up from
Torla then over-nighting before going up to the summit of Mount Perdido
then return to the Refuge and overnight again before descending back to
Torla.

Old July 20th 06, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
hyweldavies

I've been in the area a month or two later, and it was pretty hot.
Admittedly we were camping lower in the valley (Spain side), but even
up high it'll probably be warmish even at night. That said, it is high,
so you can get terrific thunderstorms in such places, though we were
lucky. I can echo what others have said, the Ordessa canyon is the
most stunning place I've ever visited. The French side is a bit more
donkey men and Popish nick nacks, though the Gavernie cirque is
spectacular. A trip across the border through the Breche de Roland is
highly recommended too. There are some short but rather exposed aid
routes (claviges) which are rather good. Something less than via
Ferrata proper, but short sections of steel pins banged into a cliff
which suffice as a path. They've "spoilt" the excitement a bit with the
addition of a steel cable since I was first there, so it's worth taking
a sling and a couple of caribeners unless you have a very good head for
heights. I was in a complete funk the first time, even clipped on, but
was subsequently happy to prance across in sandals without clipping in
once I'd done it the once if that's any guide. The route in question
goes up the side of the Ordessa canyon directly to the Breche. If you
want a proper camp site, the one in the last village on the Spanish
side is really nice, though likely to be packed / full. As others have
said, wild camping is rigourously forbidden unless you're up high.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time there.

Hywel