Speaking of Notebooks...

Old July 23rd 10, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Morriss

Default Speaking of Notebooks...

In message , Paul Saunders
writes
Chris Morriss wrote:

Not really, Maplin do a range with switchable output voltages, from
15V to 21V, designed to power laptops from a car lighter socket.

I'd prefer to run it from a separate battery rather than the car battery
(and inside the tent rather than having to sit in the car). Is it possible
to recharge them from a car battery?

Paul

The PSU I have is a separate rectangular block with two leads. An
output lead with various attachable plug ends to suit the different
types of laptop power connector, and an input lead with a 'cigarette
lighter' type of plug on it. All the electronics are in the box, so all
you would have to do would be to cut off the plug and attach croc-clips
to connect to a 12V battery. I doubt if the PSU would tolerate having
the battery connected the wrong way round though!

The combined length of the input and output leads is just over 2 metres,
so you don't have to have the laptop in the car when you're charging it,
just fairly close :-)
--
Chris Morriss
Old July 24th 10, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Geoff Berrow wrote:

I'm not a big fan of IrfanView

I am. When I was a teacher I wrote to him asking permission to use it
in school and he wrote back saying it was fine. Nice guy.

I'm not saying it's a bad program, just that it's not my preferred first
choice.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 24th 10, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Morriss

In message , Paul Saunders
writes
Geoff Berrow wrote:

I'm not a big fan of IrfanView

I am. When I was a teacher I wrote to him asking permission to use it
in school and he wrote back saying it was fine. Nice guy.

I'm not saying it's a bad program, just that it's not my preferred first
choice.

Paul

It doesn't have much in the way of photo editing, but it can convert
between a large number of different image file formats, which is useful.
--
Chris Morriss
Old July 26th 10, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Michael Chare

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
For those who haven't been keeping up with these things, a notebook is a
new breed of portable computer which is a cross between a Laptop and a
Netbook.

Netbooks are cool in that they are very small and light (around 1.2kg)
with good battery life, but are underpowered and have very small screens
(1024x600), which is fine for web surfing, but not much good for
multi-tasking, doing more power hungry tasks (like photo processing) or
using apps which need more screen real estate.

Laptops on the other hand, are too big, too heavy and have terrible
battery life, so they're utterly non-portable (from a wild camping point
of view).

Notebooks are somewhere in between, almost as small and light as a netbook
(1.6-2.0kg) and still having good battery life (8 hours or so) but with a
full size keyboard and a larger screen (1366x768), also a faster
processor, more memory and a bigger hard drive. Not as powerful as a
laptop of course, but a good compromise and an excellent choice for camp
site computing.

I've been looking at different models and offers (I want to get a free one
with a 24 month mobile broadband contract) and this seems to be the best
one I can find. It's 40 down and 30 a month, so a total cost of 760.
Since the notebook is worth 540 the mobile broadband works out at just
9.17 per month.
http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/lapt...-UL30A-netbook
http://shop.o2.co.uk/laptop/Asus/UL30A-Netbook

Here's a couple of user reviews on Amazon, it's not exactly the same
model, there are some small variations.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-UL30A-Q...dp/B002YHPNYA/

Anyone got any opinions on this? Or know of any better offers? It must
have at least 1366 screen res, 8+ hour battery life and the lightest
weight possible.

I bought a Dell Vostro for that sort of money which is quite quick as it has
an i5 processor.

I doubt that the battery lasts half that time, but I could have a spare one.
I don't really like the wide screen, particularly for displaying 4:3
digital photos, but you can only buy what is in the shops. I have a little
gps that records my track. I can then display this on the notebook against a
google maps satellite background.

--
Michael Chare

Old February 4th 12, 08:25 AM
jarvisray jarvisray is offline
Banned

Location: uk

Notebook is new gadget people are loving to buy it. It is an easy way to use it and best thing is you can carry it everywhere and enjoy every time. So i like notebooks to use.