Sunsets

Old September 5th 04, 10:05 PM
AndyP

Default Sunsets

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
really good ones for a while.

Old September 5th 04, 10:25 PM
Dewi

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
uttered:

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
really good ones for a while.

Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
there.

--
Dewi,

(remove spin for email)
Old September 5th 04, 10:31 PM
Andrew

wrote:

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
occur?

Generally when you don't have a camera with you.
Old September 5th 04, 10:40 PM
Dave Mclaughlin

AndyP wrote:
Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
really good ones for a while.

My GPS (eTrex Vista) gives sunrise and sunset times adjusted for where
you are. It cannot help with cloud conditions!! :-)

--
Dave McLaughlin

Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum
Old September 5th 04, 11:06 PM
AndyP

"Dewi" wrote

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going

occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
really good ones for a while.

Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
there.

I know the times. I meant can you tell if the sky is going to be turned all
shades of red, purple and pink from the preceding weather conditions or any
other factors. Or do certain areas of the UK get better sunsets/sunrises
than others? Something to do with dust in the atmosphere isn't it? A few
weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
shout about. It would be good if you could tell in advance.

Old September 5th 04, 11:24 PM
Fran

[email protected] said...
wrote:

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
occur?

Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

Aye, methinks you've got it in one.
--
I try to be a good example to my children, but they just see me
as a dire warning.
Old September 6th 04, 12:09 AM
Gordon

Andrew [email protected]? wrote
wrote:

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
occur?

Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

That's why I rarely carry a camera.
--
Gordon
Old September 6th 04, 12:35 AM
steve Wilcox

"Andrew" wrote

Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

Too true . . .

Heres a snap from one of the rare times when I did have a camera with me :-

http://www.stevegwilcox.pwp.blueyond...undysunset.htm

--
Peace !

Steve Wilcox

"If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

Old September 6th 04, 12:44 AM
Dewi

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:06:24 +0100, "AndyP"
uttered:

"Dewi" wrote

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going

occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
really good ones for a while.

Type 'sunset time' in your search engine and take a pick from the ones
there.

I know the times. I meant can you tell if the sky is going to be turned all
shades of red, purple and pink from the preceding weather conditions or any
other factors. Or do certain areas of the UK get better sunsets/sunrises
than others? Something to do with dust in the atmosphere isn't it? A few
weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
shout about. It would be good if you could tell in advance.

sorry, Impossible.

I'm not an expert, but

The clouds would have to be present
They would have to be the right sort
They would have to be in the right place
The sun would need a line of sight to the clouds
The atmosphere would have be right
So many variables...

After all, you don't see one every night do you...

--
Dewi,

(remove spin for email)
Old September 6th 04, 01:18 AM
Geoff Berrow

I noticed that Message-ID: from AndyP
contained the following:

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are going to
occur? Clouds were a nice tinge of pink last night but haven't seen any
really good ones for a while.

It was one of the best I've seen over Bakewell on Saturday.
www.ckdog.co.uk/sunset

Maybe could have taken more time and got better compositions but I had a
very dark wood to get through before I could get back to the car...

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.