Sunsets

Old September 6th 04, 09:21 AM
Michael S

Apologies, but Google is being weird, so this may be the second time
I've posted this...

"AndyP" wrote in message ...
A few
weeks back I was camped on top of Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to
enhance the view over the islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to
shout about.

I've actually found this area to be one of the best place for sunsets
in the UK. The sunsets over the Cuillins on Skye are stunning. Not
just from the top of Beinn Sgritheall, but also the road at Upper
Sandaig. Here are three shots ,taken on consecutive evenings last
August:

http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL002.jpg
http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL111.jpg
http://www.starstonephoto.com/JL113.jpg

Interestingly (or not), the first image (the purple-ish one) has been
my best selling photo ever.

Michael S
Old September 6th 04, 01:45 PM
spongebob

"Gordon" wrote in message
Andrew [email protected]? wrote
On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:05:05 +0100, "AndyP"
wrote:

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises

are going to
occur?

Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

That's why I rarely carry a camera.
--

Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous

Graham

Old September 6th 04, 04:15 PM
Phil Cook

wrote:

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises

are going to
occur?

Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

That's why I rarely carry a camera.
--

Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

Well If you took the pic you do. If you were working for your mate he
does.
Old September 6th 04, 04:34 PM
Chris Townsend

In message , Phil Cook
writes

wrote:

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises

are going to
occur?

Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

That's why I rarely carry a camera.
--

Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

Well If you took the pic you do. If you were working for your mate he
does.

It's not quite as simple as that. If your mate asked you to take the
picture and told you where to take it from then he owns the copyright.
If you composed the picture and directed him then you own the
composition. However if your mate owns the camera and the film then he
owns the physical image but maybe not the composition.

Old September 6th 04, 04:43 PM
Phil Cook

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:34:33 +0100, Chris Townsend wrote:

In message , Phil Cook
writes
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:45:16 GMT, spongebob wrote:

Give your camera to Paul and ask him to take a few pics the next time
he's out photographing sunrises at 4am. Actually, I have a fabulous
picture of Mt Cook that I took with my mates camera (with him on
it).....I wonder who owns the copyright? Hmmm.

Well If you took the pic you do. If you were working for your mate he
does.

It's not quite as simple as that. If your mate asked you to take the
picture and told you where to take it from then he owns the copyright.
If you composed the picture and directed him then you own the
composition. However if your mate owns the camera and the film then he
owns the physical image but maybe not the composition.

What if you took it on his camera (composing as you wished) but with
your memory card? :-)

Old September 6th 04, 05:15 PM
Chris Townsend

In message , Phil Cook
writes
[...]

Call a lawyer :-)

I guess you would own the image as you owned the memory card and
composed the image. The camera would merely be a loaned tool.

The key is who owns the physical tools (camera, film, memory card) and
who owns the artistic product of using those tools.
Old September 6th 04, 09:19 PM
Paul Saunders

Chris Townsend wrote:

The key is who owns the physical tools (camera, film, memory card) and
who owns the artistic product of using those tools.

As I understand it, from a business point of view, if someone pays you
to do a photographic job and they provide the film and other expenses
for you, then they own the film and thus the copyright, even though you
took the photos.

The alternative is to pay for the film yourself. Thus you retain your
own copyright. You'd then you'd sell the results to the buyer.

Basically it's the difference between being employed by someone to do a
job for them, or working as a freelance at your own expense. The
problem with the latter case is that if they don't like the photos they
don't have to buy them.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Old September 6th 04, 09:41 PM
Paul Saunders

AndyP wrote:

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are
going to occur?

To a certain extent, yes, but it's a bit of a lottery, there are no
certainties.

Paul

Old September 6th 04, 09:42 PM
Paul Saunders

Andrew wrote:

Is it possible to tell in advance when good sunsets or sunrises are
going to occur?

Generally when you don't have a camera with you.

By a very strange coincidence I always seem to have my camera with me
whenever I see a good sunrise/set. :-)

Paul

Old September 6th 04, 09:49 PM
Paul Saunders

AndyP wrote:

I know the times. I meant can you tell if the sky is going to be
turned all shades of red, purple and pink from the preceding weather
conditions or any other factors.

Sometimes, but often with very short notice.

Or do certain areas of the UK get
better sunsets/sunrises than others?

Almost certainly. Clouds (or lack of) are a major factor in sunsets,
and topography has a big influence where clouds are concerned. I've
never studied this in any detail, but I do know of certain "classic"
locations for good sunrises and sets, but that may have more to do with
them being good photo viewpoints rather than the effects of topography
on the weather.

Something to do with dust in
the atmosphere isn't it?

Yep.

A few weeks back I was camped on top of
Beinn Sgritheall hoping for a good one to enhance the view over the
islands and out to sea but it wasn't anything to shout about. It
would be good if you could tell in advance.

You can, to a certain extent, for certain types of sunrises/sets.

Paul