Sunsets

Old September 28th 04, 03:51 AM
Paul Saunders

Fran wrote:

but possibly the name derives from
the fact that the Morgan brothers discovered the cave system via the
river that runs "under" the caves.

Could be, I suppose... or perhaps there are more caverns over
the top of the Showcaves? Seems unlikely, given the height of
some of them, but you never know - or do you?

Actually I'm pretty sure I've seen a diagram of Dan yr Ogof caves in the
past and I believe they do occur on distinctly different levels, so some
of the caves are probably quite literally underneath other caves.

Ahh, now you're talking my kind of language! Black, no sugar
thanks. And could I have just a touch of cold water in it to
take the scaldingness away? Mmmm! Thanks, that's lovely!

Cold water!!! Sacrilege!!!

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Old September 28th 04, 09:17 AM
W. D. Grey

In article , Fran
writes
but possibly the name derives from
the fact that the Morgan brothers discovered the cave system via the
river that runs "under" the caves.

Could be, I suppose... or perhaps there are more caverns over
the top of the Showcaves? Seems unlikely, given the height of
some of them, but you never know - or do you?

Before the Morgan brothers discovered the caves the caves didn't have a
name. They were , come to think of it, named as the "caves above" the
newly discovered adit making the adit beneath the caves or Dan-yr Ogof.

Ogof is singular, Ogofau or Ogofeydd are the plural forms.

Anyone else got any plausible explantion - mine is only a guess.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old September 29th 04, 04:30 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , steŠ
writes
I know the following image is not a classic,
http://www.stephenmciver.com/hods/images/149_4911.jpg, but rather than
blending two images of two exposures, I just exposed to get the window (very
bright, and the LCD of my camera made the room of people turn black when
half-holding the shutter), then used fill-flash to get the room of people.
It seems to have worked just fine, but obviously, my little Canon 420EX
flash might have trouble lighting up a landscape with mountains several
miles away! :-)

Quite good Ste but maybe a bounced flash would have softened the inside
light. I'm thinking in terms of reducing the shadow of the helmets of
the gent nearest to the camera
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk
Old September 29th 04, 07:59 PM
Phil Cook

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:30:37 +0100, W. D. Grey wrote:

In article , steŠ
writes
I know the following image is not a classic,
http://www.stephenmciver.com/hods/images/149_4911.jpg, but rather than
blending two images of two exposures, I just exposed to get the window (very
bright, and the LCD of my camera made the room of people turn black when
half-holding the shutter), then used fill-flash to get the room of people.
It seems to have worked just fine, but obviously, my little Canon 420EX
flash might have trouble lighting up a landscape with mountains several
miles away! :-)

Quite good Ste but maybe a bounced flash would have softened the inside
light. I'm thinking in terms of reducing the shadow of the helmets of
the gent nearest to the camera

It's always a problem using on-camera flash for verticals as you end
up with shadows to the side instead of below.

Old October 3rd 04, 09:42 PM
steŠ

"W. D. Grey" wrote in message
| In article , steŠ
| writes
| I know the following image is not a classic,
| http://www.stephenmciver.com/hods/images/149_4911.jpg, but rather than
| blending two images of two exposures, I just exposed to get the window
(very
| bright, and the LCD of my camera made the room of people turn black when
| half-holding the shutter), then used fill-flash to get the room of
people.
| It seems to have worked just fine, but obviously, my little Canon 420EX
| flash might have trouble lighting up a landscape with mountains several
| miles away! :-)
|
| Quite good Ste but maybe a bounced flash would have softened the inside
| light. I'm thinking in terms of reducing the shadow of the helmets of
| the gent nearest to the camera
| --
| Bill Grey

Good idea Bill. But that's not his shadow, it's a ghost! :-)

Ste