Pay for your rescue.

Old May 16th 06, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

Default Pay for your rescue.

The message k
from Mike Clark contains these words:

Why should the taxpayer pick up the bill for overweight underexercised
unhealthy members of the public who willfully engage in a risky
lifestyle?

Which probably is a pretty fair description of bloody angus who will no
doubt come up with specious reasons why he shouldn't have to pay for his
emergency treatment.

--
Roger Chapman
Old May 16th 06, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

The Tr4oll writes
Other high risk sports and activities pay for their's.

I quoted you a number of activities that have a risk attached involving
water sports - I notice you ducked (that's appropriate isn't it !)
answering those and quoted motor sport which under any circumstance is
an entertainment rather than a sport that can be undertaken by any
number of people, and then football which once again is an
entertainment which requires policing. If someone is injured playig
football then the ambulance will turn up at the tax payers' expense and
take them off to hospital - and lord only knows how many more peole get
injured playing football than mountaineers have to be rescued by
helicopter.

It is noticeable that hill walking is not considered a risk sport by
the insurance companies or else they would put limits on what one can
do abroad - hill walking not high level mountaineering - like the
limitations that exist for diving.

The point I was making about the volunteers from Mountain Rescuers
turning out to assist society in general is that they would be far less
enthusiastic about doing so if socirty didn't assist the 'sport' with
free helicopters on the few occasions they are required.

Rob

Old May 16th 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:42:35 GMT, Mark Thompson
[email protected]*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote:

Free *at the point of use*, as is the helicopter rescue service. They
are all paid for through general taxation.

But not for other high risk sports and activities as I have already
pointed out.

Which UK sports and activities have to pay for the ambulance to take them
to hospital?

Motor sports and football.

How does hill walking compare to these high risk sports and activities?
I'm presuming you use some sort of per hour risk?

Inaccessibility makes it more expensive than most other activities.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old May 16th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

On Tue, 16 May 2006 17:59:09 +0100, Roger
wrote:

The message k
from Mike Clark contains these words:

Why should the taxpayer pick up the bill for overweight underexercised
unhealthy members of the public who willfully engage in a risky
lifestyle?

Which probably is a pretty fair description of bloody angus who will no
doubt come up with specious reasons why he shouldn't have to pay for his
emergency treatment.

I don't think anyone should pay for emergency treatment.

But I think walkers should pay for rescue helicopters but not
ambulances or treatment.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old May 16th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

On 16 May 2006 10:52:36 -0700, "Rob G"
wrote:

The Tr4oll writes
Other high risk sports and activities pay for their's.

I quoted you a number of activities that have a risk attached involving
water sports - I notice you ducked (that's appropriate isn't it !)
answering those and quoted motor sport which under any circumstance is
an entertainment rather than a sport that can be undertaken by any
number of people, and then football which once again is an
entertainment which requires policing. If someone is injured playig
football then the ambulance will turn up at the tax payers' expense and
take them off to hospital - and lord only knows how many more peole get
injured playing football than mountaineers have to be rescued by
helicopter.

I mentioned sailing in my letter.

Ambulances are on standby at football matches and paid for by the
clubs.

It is noticeable that hill walking is not considered a risk sport by
the insurance companies or else they would put limits on what one can
do abroad - hill walking not high level mountaineering - like the
limitations that exist for diving.

There is a cost risk of being injured in inaccessible places.

The point I was making about the volunteers from Mountain Rescuers
turning out to assist society in general is that they would be far less
enthusiastic about doing so if socirty didn't assist the 'sport' with
free helicopters on the few occasions they are required.

No more so than in European countries that charge for helicopter
rescue.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old May 16th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.walking

wrote

... and I think the government will think the
same in due course.

Or else ....... what ? People banned from the hills unless they
have valid insurance ?

How to rescue ? newsreader Swimming 13 April 4th 06 06:15 PM
Mountain rescue... Richard Layton Walking in the UK 18 June 28th 05 02:16 PM
I hope they're doing something to rescue this model GI! Lee Michaels Weights 4 February 3rd 05 12:38 AM
Technology to the rescue TopCounsel Running 0 March 27th 04 09:59 PM
FREE GAME FREDDY RESCUE ROUNDUP + 40 MORE GAMES 2002-10-29 IBMFREDDYS Aerobic 0 October 29th 03 04:43 PM