Speaking of Notebooks...

Old July 20th 10, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Default Speaking of Notebooks...

For those who haven't been keeping up with these things, a notebook is a new
breed of portable computer which is a cross between a Laptop and a Netbook.

Netbooks are cool in that they are very small and light (around 1.2kg) with
good battery life, but are underpowered and have very small screens
(1024x600), which is fine for web surfing, but not much good for
multi-tasking, doing more power hungry tasks (like photo processing) or
using apps which need more screen real estate.

Laptops on the other hand, are too big, too heavy and have terrible battery
life, so they're utterly non-portable (from a wild camping point of view).

Notebooks are somewhere in between, almost as small and light as a netbook
(1.6-2.0kg) and still having good battery life (8 hours or so) but with a
full size keyboard and a larger screen (1366x768), also a faster processor,
more memory and a bigger hard drive. Not as powerful as a laptop of course,
but a good compromise and an excellent choice for camp site computing.

I've been looking at different models and offers (I want to get a free one
with a 24 month mobile broadband contract) and this seems to be the best one
I can find. It's £40 down and £30 a month, so a total cost of £760. Since
the notebook is worth £540 the mobile broadband works out at just £9.17 per
month.
http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/lapt...-UL30A-netbook
http://shop.o2.co.uk/laptop/Asus/UL30A-Netbook

Here's a couple of user reviews on Amazon, it's not exactly the same model,
there are some small variations.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-UL30A-Q...dp/B002YHPNYA/

Anyone got any opinions on this? Or know of any better offers? It must have
at least 1366 screen res, 8+ hour battery life and the lightest weight
possible.

And of course, this is sort of on topic because I want it for wild camping!
:-)

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 21st 10, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Martin Richardson wrote:

To be 'on topic' wouldn't you have to be talking about banning dogs?

What have dogs got to do with walking? ;-)

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 21st 10, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_3_]

In message , Paul Saunders
writes
Martin Richardson wrote:

To be 'on topic' wouldn't you have to be talking about banning dogs?

What have dogs got to do with walking? ;-)

Paul

That's easy, if you want to spoil a walk you could take a dog with you.

Or a set of golf clubs....

Or a notebook...

Or a camera and 27 accessories.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old July 21st 10, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Fellwalker wrote:
Following up to Paul Saunders

Netbooks are cool in that they are very small and light (around
1.2kg) with good battery life, but are underpowered and have very
small screens (1024x600), which is fine for web surfing,

yes, I have one, you would not want to do more than post to usenet or
check a few websites.

Ah, a response! Thanks! Yes, I assumed as much. I'd need a bit more power to
process photos and design web pages I think (not that I'd be doing much
photo processing, but I would want to be able to work on and update my
website).

Which model have you got? Is it good enough for running Memory Map or
similar?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 21st 10, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_3_]

In message , Fellwalker
writes
Following up to Paul Saunders

Netbooks are cool in that they are very small and light (around 1.2kg) with
good battery life, but are underpowered and have very small screens
(1024x600), which is fine for web surfing,

yes, I have one, you would not want to do more than post to usenet or check
a few websites.

I get emails from my daughter in CA, sent from her iPod, when she's
hanging out in the local café.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old July 21st 10, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Bill Grey[_2_]

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
Fellwalker wrote:
Following up to Paul Saunders

Netbooks are cool in that they are very small and light (around
1.2kg) with good battery life, but are underpowered and have very
small screens (1024x600), which is fine for web surfing,

yes, I have one, you would not want to do more than post to usenet or
check a few websites.

Ah, a response! Thanks! Yes, I assumed as much. I'd need a bit more power
to process photos and design web pages I think (not that I'd be doing much
photo processing, but I would want to be able to work on and update my
website).

Which model have you got? Is it good enough for running Memory Map or
similar?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Hi Paul, I have an ACER from PC World. Great for me to store Picture2Exe
shows and use for "Slide" Shows for the Gardening Club. Only down side is
the screen format. It is wide - much wider than the images which are
stretched on the screen, but project perfectly.

Bill

Old July 21st 10, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Morriss

In message , Fellwalker
writes
Following up to Paul Saunders

Netbooks are cool in that they are very small and light (around 1.2kg) with
good battery life, but are underpowered and have very small screens
(1024x600), which is fine for web surfing,

yes, I have one, you would not want to do more than post to usenet or check
a few websites.

I have an ASUS Eee901, which only has a 9" 1024x600 screen, which is a
bit restrictive. Since I fitted a fast SATA-2 64GB solid-state drive to
replace the original small SSD then it has proved very useful with
extremely good battery life. As the external dc power feed is 12V, it
will also run from an external sealed lead-acid battery. Most larger
notebooks use 19V or thereabouts which require special switch-mode dc-dc
convertors to run off a 12V battery.

I also have one of those £5 a month 3G USB dongles from Orange to give
me internet access anywhere there is a 3G signal (Which however there
may not be where you want to access the net from!)
--
Chris Morriss
Old July 22nd 10, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Fellwalker wrote:

its a Dell Inspiron, dunno about memory map. I might have tried to put
PhotoShop on it but you can only load it in one place at a time and it
would be s l o w. :-(

I wasn't thinking of putting Photoshop on it. I'd do my main photo
processing at home. But I might use something small and quick like ACDSee
for quick photo processing if ever I wanted to put something online ASAP.
Most of the work I'd be doing would be writing text, but my XSitePro
software needs a wider screen than 1024.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 22nd 10, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Bill Grey wrote:

Hi Paul, I have an ACER from PC World. Great for me to store
Picture2Exe shows and use for "Slide" Shows for the Gardening Club. Only
down side is the screen format. It is wide - much wider than
the images which are stretched on the screen, but project perfectly.

1024x600 is halfway between 16:10 (computer widescreen) and 16:9 (television
widescreen).

Isn't there a setting to maintain the original aspect ration instead of
stretching?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 22nd 10, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Martin Richardson wrote:

I have a little HP Mini 210. It quite happily runs Memory Map, Office,
Google Earth and MP3s. I can browse the internet using Firefox -
including YouTube. With an external DVD player attached I can even
watch movies.

Cool

I have never tried to use Photoshop or go on Second
Life with it.

I don't blame you.

A quick look on Google says that it's got a 1366x768 display, which is very
unusual for a 10 inch screen (which are usually only 1024x600). Is that
right? If so, is the text hard to read?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk