Speaking of Notebooks...

Old July 22nd 10, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Default Speaking of Notebooks...

Chris Morriss wrote:

I have an ASUS Eee901, which only has a 9" 1024x600 screen, which is a
bit restrictive. Since I fitted a fast SATA-2 64GB solid-state drive
to replace the original small SSD then it has proved very useful with
extremely good battery life. As the external dc power feed is 12V, it
will also run from an external sealed lead-acid battery. Most larger
notebooks use 19V or thereabouts which require special switch-mode
dc-dc convertors to run off a 12V battery.

Are they expensive?

I also have one of those 5 a month 3G USB dongles from Orange to give
me internet access anywhere there is a 3G signal (Which however there
may not be where you want to access the net from!)

Internet access is not my primary concern. I mainly want it simply so that I
can work away from home (especially during downtime on camping trips). I see
connecting to the net as more of a bonus than essential. I could always wait
until I get a signal somewhere before uploading stuff, and I really don't
want to get into the habit of obsessively checking my emails while I'm out
camping. I actually enjoy getting away from that sort of thing!

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 22nd 10, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_3_]

In message
, Ted
writes
On Jul 21, 11:31*am, Gordon H
wrote:
In message , Paul Saunders
writes

Martin Richardson wrote:

To be 'on topic' wouldn't you have to be talking about banning dogs?

What have dogs got to do with walking? ;-)
Paul

That's easy, if you want to spoil a walk you could take a dog with you.

Or a set of golf clubs....
Or a notebook...
Or a camera and 27 accessories.
Gordon H

Or take a dog with you, spoil someone elses day :-)

Ted

8-)
The Alsation which accompanied us when we did Snowdon was no trouble at
all...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old July 22nd 10, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Bill Grey[_2_]

"Paul Saunders" wrote in message
Bill Grey wrote:

Hi Paul, I have an ACER from PC World. Great for me to store
Picture2Exe shows and use for "Slide" Shows for the Gardening Club. Only
down side is the screen format. It is wide - much wider than
the images which are stretched on the screen, but project perfectly.

1024x600 is halfway between 16:10 (computer widescreen) and 16:9
(television widescreen).

Isn't there a setting to maintain the original aspect ration instead of
stretching?

I have looked everywhere. There may be something somewhere buried in the
depths of the Options, but I can't find it. I twould be nice to view the
photos at normal ratios.

Bill

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 22nd 10, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Nigel Cliffe[_3_]

Paul Saunders wrote:
Chris Morriss wrote:

I have an ASUS Eee901, which only has a 9" 1024x600 screen, which is
a bit restrictive. Since I fitted a fast SATA-2 64GB solid-state
drive to replace the original small SSD then it has proved very
useful with extremely good battery life. As the external dc power
feed is 12V, it will also run from an external sealed lead-acid
battery. Most larger notebooks use 19V or thereabouts which require
special switch-mode dc-dc convertors to run off a 12V battery.

Are they expensive?

Should be very cheap.
But fails your "not a netbook low powered CPU machine" criteria.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old July 22nd 10, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Paul Saunders wrote:
Chris Morriss wrote:

I have an ASUS Eee901, which only has a 9" 1024x600 screen, which is
a bit restrictive. Since I fitted a fast SATA-2 64GB solid-state
drive to replace the original small SSD then it has proved very
useful with extremely good battery life. As the external dc power
feed is 12V, it will also run from an external sealed lead-acid
battery. Most larger notebooks use 19V or thereabouts which require
special switch-mode dc-dc convertors to run off a 12V battery.

Are they expensive?

Should be very cheap.
But fails your "not a netbook low powered CPU machine" criteria.

I meant the converter.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 22nd 10, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Morriss

In message , Paul Saunders
writes
Chris Morriss wrote:

I have an ASUS Eee901, which only has a 9" 1024x600 screen, which is a
bit restrictive. Since I fitted a fast SATA-2 64GB solid-state drive
to replace the original small SSD then it has proved very useful with
extremely good battery life. As the external dc power feed is 12V, it
will also run from an external sealed lead-acid battery. Most larger
notebooks use 19V or thereabouts which require special switch-mode
dc-dc convertors to run off a 12V battery.

Are they expensive?

Well, they don't make the small 9" screen ones now, having moved up to
the 10.2" screens that seem to be standard for netbooks.

The SSD upgrade was expensive, although SSD prices have fallen quite a
bit since I did the change. SSDs are very useful for a small laptop
that you might drop. Many netbooks do have the option to buy with a
conventional hard drive, or an SSD, though the equivalent size SSD
commands a price premium.

BTW, I have an old copy of PaintShop Pro 4.12 which I use on it if I
need to do any simple photo changes. This old version doesn't require
much from the machine. You could of course load the very useful (and
free!) IRFANVIEW software, which may be enough for you in the field.
The machine certainly wouldn't run the memory and processor intensive
current version of PSP that I have on my main laptop. (I don't know
about Photoshop Elements, as I am not a Photoshop user).

Old July 22nd 10, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Morriss

In message , Paul Saunders
writes
Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Paul Saunders wrote:
Chris Morriss wrote:

I have an ASUS Eee901, which only has a 9" 1024x600 screen, which is
a bit restrictive. Since I fitted a fast SATA-2 64GB solid-state
drive to replace the original small SSD then it has proved very
useful with extremely good battery life. As the external dc power
feed is 12V, it will also run from an external sealed lead-acid
battery. Most larger notebooks use 19V or thereabouts which require
special switch-mode dc-dc convertors to run off a 12V battery.

Are they expensive?

Should be very cheap.
But fails your "not a netbook low powered CPU machine" criteria.

I meant the converter.

Paul

Not really, Maplin do a range with switchable output voltages, from 15V
to 21V, designed to power laptops from a car lighter socket.
--
Chris Morriss
Old July 23rd 10, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Chris Morriss wrote:

The SSD upgrade was expensive, although SSD prices have fallen quite a
bit since I did the change. SSDs are very useful for a small laptop
that you might drop. Many netbooks do have the option to buy with a
conventional hard drive, or an SSD, though the equivalent size SSD
commands a price premium.

Yeah. Sounds good. Alternatively just be very careful.

BTW, I have an old copy of PaintShop Pro 4.12 which I use on it if I
need to do any simple photo changes. This old version doesn't require
much from the machine. You could of course load the very useful (and
free!) IRFANVIEW software, which may be enough for you in the field.
The machine certainly wouldn't run the memory and processor intensive
current version of PSP that I have on my main laptop. (I don't know
about Photoshop Elements, as I am not a Photoshop user).

I'm not a big fan of IrfanView, not for processing anyway, I prefer ACDSee
for that, if I need something done very quickly. Good idea about using an
old version of photo software though, but certain modern features (like
shadow lightening) are quite critical for the kind of adjustments I need to
make. I've wondered about Elements too, perhaps that might be less processor
intensive, since it's aimed more at amateurs.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 23rd 10, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Paul Saunders

Chris Morriss wrote:

Not really, Maplin do a range with switchable output voltages, from
15V to 21V, designed to power laptops from a car lighter socket.

I'd prefer to run it from a separate battery rather than the car battery
(and inside the tent rather than having to sit in the car). Is it possible
to recharge them from a car battery?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

Old July 23rd 10, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Geoff Berrow

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 06:27:34 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
wrote:

I'm not a big fan of IrfanView

I am. When I was a teacher I wrote to him asking permission to use it
in school and he wrote back saying it was fine. Nice guy.
--
Geoff Berrow (Put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.