Suggestions for a charging framework

Old November 13th 10, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

Default Suggestions for a charging framework

Re charging for SAR and path maintenance, here are some suggestions of
how it might be structured.

Annual recreational licence of 100 for walking/climbing on
ground not owned by government to contribute to Search and Rescue and
maintenance of paths, removal of rubbish etc.

Short-term weekly licence for visitors at 6 per person or 10
for immediate family, downloadable on the Internet or available from
organisations like the Ramblers Association, hotels, or local shops.
Seller keeps 1 administration costs. No charge for children under 12
years of age.

For those caught not having a licence, 250 fine and ban from
walking and climbing for six months.

No charge for those working on land in a forestry,
agricultural or maintenance capacity.

Arrangement made with land managers to maintain paths and
remove rubbish including national insurance policy for claims made
against them.

MOD and emergency services paid for rescue trips at agreed
hourly rates.

Volunteer rescue organisations supplied with equipment free of
charge.

Licence charges to be raised or lowered to make the system
self supporting.

Old November 13th 10, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Jhimmy

wrote in message
Re charging for SAR and path maintenance, here are some suggestions of
how it might be structured.

Annual recreational licence of 100 for walking/climbing on
ground not owned by government to contribute to Search and Rescue and
maintenance of paths, removal of rubbish etc.

Still not sure I like an annual fee. I know anglers pay annually 72 for the
full rod license, but not sure if it's fairly strictly adhered to.

Short-term weekly licence for visitors at 6 per person or 10
for immediate family, downloadable on the Internet or available from
organisations like the Ramblers Association, hotels, or local shops.
Seller keeps 1 administration costs. No charge for children under 12
years of age.

For those caught not having a licence, 250 fine and ban from
walking and climbing for six months.

I've said my views, charge 50 per rescue - for heavens sake how many people
per percentage of the population actually need rescueing?

No charge for those working on land in a forestry,
agricultural or maintenance capacity.

Arrangement made with land managers to maintain paths and
remove rubbish including national insurance policy for claims made
against them.

All those posters eager to encourage more walkers can help pick up the
rubbish because I wont. I take my stuff up and I bring it back down, I'm not
picking up lazy gitless people's rubbish. If the hills are a mess, so be it,
I'll jump over the banana skins and plastic bottles.

MOD and emergency services paid for rescue trips at agreed
hourly rates.

Sounds reasonable.

Volunteer rescue organisations supplied with equipment free of
charge.

I think it should be paid by charity contributions. See the 50 charge to
help fund.

Licence charges to be raised or lowered to make the system
self supporting.

Still don't like license charge as it's going to be a hassle unless it can
be formed into joining with the BMC, Rambles, Open fields society etc. Say
part of the fee would be insurance. Let them do the donkey work not the
government. However, see my comments on rod licenses.

Old November 13th 10, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:39:20 -0000, "Jhimmy"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Re charging for SAR and path maintenance, here are some suggestions of
how it might be structured.

Annual recreational licence of 100 for walking/climbing on
ground not owned by government to contribute to Search and Rescue and
maintenance of paths, removal of rubbish etc.

Still not sure I like an annual fee. I know anglers pay annually 72 for the
full rod license, but not sure if it's fairly strictly adhered to.

I think it might be too cumbersome to charge it weekly for everyone.

Short-term weekly licence for visitors at 6 per person or 10
for immediate family, downloadable on the Internet or available from
organisations like the Ramblers Association, hotels, or local shops.
Seller keeps 1 administration costs. No charge for children under 12
years of age.

For those caught not having a licence, 250 fine and ban from
walking and climbing for six months.

I've said my views, charge 50 per rescue - for heavens sake how many people
per percentage of the population actually need rescueing?

If everyone paid 50 for per rescue it wouldn't cover the costs and
some helicopter rescues could cost thousands.

No charge for those working on land in a forestry,
agricultural or maintenance capacity.

Arrangement made with land managers to maintain paths and
remove rubbish including national insurance policy for claims made
against them.

All those posters eager to encourage more walkers can help pick up the
rubbish because I wont. I take my stuff up and I bring it back down, I'm not
picking up lazy gitless people's rubbish. If the hills are a mess, so be it,
I'll jump over the banana skins and plastic bottles.

I agree.

MOD and emergency services paid for rescue trips at agreed
hourly rates.

Sounds reasonable.

Volunteer rescue organisations supplied with equipment free of
charge.

I think it should be paid by charity contributions. See the 50 charge to
help fund.

Yes, but in addition to them getting their equipment free of charge?

Licence charges to be raised or lowered to make the system
self supporting.

Still don't like license charge as it's going to be a hassle unless it can
be formed into joining with the BMC, Rambles, Open fields society etc. Say
part of the fee would be insurance. Let them do the donkey work not the
government. However, see my comments on rod licenses.

I don't know how the rod licence is operated or how much evasion goes
on.

I'm quite sure some people would not pay but I suppose that happens in
all things. Apparently quite a few people don't pay their road tax or
insurance. And MPs don't want to pay for just about anything :-)

Old November 13th 10, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Boo

I think that's covered fairly extensively by insurance and RYC
yachtmasters qualifications or something like that. It's only very small
jet powered/dingys that don't need it.

I could be wrong though.

Yep, it's only folks who own boats over 24m in length (yes that's 78 feet !)
who need any kind of licence to drive on the sea...

--
Boo
Old November 13th 10, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Tim Jackson[_2_]

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 16:08:08 +0000, Gordon H wrote...

I would support a charge for Trolling.

Yeah, but if you tried to charge everyone who trolled then it would be
unenforceable. You would have to limit it in some way.

You could do it the Catalonian way, and only charge trolls who are
negligent.

Or you could do it the American way, and only charge trolls who climb
above 10,000 feet.

What do you think, Angus?

--
Tim Jackson
lid
Old November 13th 10, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Bill Grey[_2_]

"Jhimmy" wrote in message
.. However, see my comments on rod licenses.

Where did I miss this please Jhimmy?

Bill