Time to pay?

Old December 23rd 10, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

Default Time to pay?

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 09:08:28 -0000, "David"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Walkers, especially day ones, are not usually big spenders. They
bring their own foodstuffs and drinks in theiur little knapsacks.

A walker that doesn't enjoy a pint of ale and a pie is a very very rare
thing indeed.

So do most people.

That doesn't make them big spenders.

They don't have to be to help the local economy. Every little in a local
shop or local pub is a little more than they'd have spent had they gone on a
package holiday to the continent. As you are fully aware if it wasn't for
walking/cycling and other outdoor activies in areas such as the lakes and
the like, the local shops, pubs and B&Bs etc would have no chance.

That end up tourist ghettos that people who would spend big money want
to avoid.

Old December 23rd 10, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Richard Webb[_2_]

Loathe that I am to conribute to a thread starring that sh1te, but
the economic reality of folk wandering up hills was brought into stark
focus when we all stopped doing it, voluntarily at first, then under
New Labour threats and authoritarianism in 2001. The Cumbrian
economy took a hell of a hit.

A lot of attitudes (of folk that matter) were adjusted then.

Richard Webb

"What did God give us Nigel?

He also gave us Foot and Mouth, He also gave us Simon Cowall, He also
gave us clegs, He also gave us A***s. (respect to Half Man Half
Biscuit)
Old December 24th 10, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Bill Grey[_2_]

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , David
writes
wrote in message
. ..

That end up tourist ghettos that people who would spend big money want
to avoid.

Well take the lakes for example, that have been a tourist attraction for
at
least as long as I've been alive (44 years), where even the most comercial
Windermere is hardly a ghetto.

I thought it was a sort of lizard tht stood on alternate legs.

Bill.......:-)

Angus is (over-)fond of using the wrong words to describe things towards
which he has an antipathy. "ghetto" is just the latest example of a nice
shiny new word he's come across and he will doubtless, true to form,
continue to repeat it in completely inappropriate contexts.

--
Malcolm

Old December 24th 10, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 20:29:53 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , David
writes

Old December 25th 10, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 21:44:51 +0000, Malcolm
wrote:

In article ,
writes
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 20:29:53 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , David
writes
wrote in message
om...

That end up tourist ghettos that people who would spend big money want
to avoid.

Well take the lakes for example, that have been a tourist attraction for
at
least as long as I've been alive (44 years), where even the most comercial
Windermere is hardly a ghetto.

I thought it was a sort of lizard tht stood on alternate legs.

Bill.......:-)

Angus is (over-)fond of using the wrong words to describe things towards
which he has an antipathy. "ghetto" is just the latest example of a nice
shiny new word he's come across and he will doubtless, true to form,
continue to repeat it in completely inappropriate contexts.

--
Malcolm

When Angus is having difficulty responding to a post, he just reposts it
without adding anything himself, as here.

Unsurprisingly, he does it quite frequently!

Look at the chevrons.

Did you snip it?

Old December 29th 10, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]

But we do pay...

You misunderstand. In MacHoogstraten world walkers arn't taxpayers,
they're freeloading scum.

Old December 29th 10, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:58:43 -0000, "Chris Gilbert"
wrote:

But we do pay...

You misunderstand. In MacHoogstraten world walkers arn't taxpayers,
they're freeloading scum.

But most taxpayers pay for their recreation and don't need expensive
SAR; why not walkers?

Old December 29th 10, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
[email protected]

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 12:46:28 -0800 (PST), FenlandRunner
wrote:

On Dec 25, 11:23*am, wrote:
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 21:44:51 +0000, Malcolm

wrote:

In article ,
writes
On Fri, 24 Dec 2010 20:29:53 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , David
writes
wrote in message
om...

[...]

Pay HUGE taxes to the government. How much duty is on fuel?

So do all other taxpayers.

We only ask that they use it wisely.

Why not have ALL recreational activities paid for by the taxpayer?

We pay for ours: you don't pay for yours.

Old December 30th 10, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Graham Seed[_2_]

wrote

Why not have ALL recreational activities paid for by the taxpayer?

We pay for ours: you don't pay for yours.

No you don't. You only pay a bit. And so do we. Through our taxes.