Broken Ankle

Old July 29th 11, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_3_]

Default Broken Ankle

In message , Ted
Ferenc writes
On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:19:57 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement. I have also started taking calcium
supplement tablets, to try to improve the healing process.

If you like weird suppliments try Devil's Claw, once you are up and
about, it worked for me, after a course of the tables, my walking
improved, I still sometimes take them in winter.

Obviously the usual caveats apply, check with your doctor etc. see:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpagophytum
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herb...DevilsClaw.htm

Absorbing reading...
Now I'm off to try a bag of frozen peas on the swollen toes of my
plastered foot...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old July 29th 11, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_3_]

In message , Alan White
writes
On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:19:57 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

How very true, and one of my problems at age 77 is the deteriorating
sense of balance, so getting moving on crutches in the morning has to be
slow until stability improves.

I found crutches very difficult and spent a lot of my time skidding
about on my bum particularly on stairs. When my right hip was replaced,
physio gave me a crutching course but it didn't help much but then I'm
naturally awkward.

I now have the grimace Zimmer frame downstairs, which I can hop along
quite quickly with, and have a routine.
Make and eat porridge in kitchen sat on stool.
I don't make a cup of tea, I make a 400ml flask full while the porridge
is cooling, and two rounds of toast.
These items are carried in a shopping bag looped to the Zimmer frame,
and I could even make my lunch time sandwich and carry that in to my
comfy chair, because the tea lasts for breakfast and lunch.

Ready meal tonight, so I gave my helper the day off.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old July 29th 11, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
PeterC

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 15:02:56 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

In message , Ted
Ferenc writes
On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:19:57 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement. I have also started taking calcium
supplement tablets, to try to improve the healing process.

If you like weird suppliments try Devil's Claw, once you are up and
about, it worked for me, after a course of the tables, my walking
improved, I still sometimes take them in winter.

Obviously the usual caveats apply, check with your doctor etc. see:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpagophytum
http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herb...DevilsClaw.htm

Absorbing reading...
Now I'm off to try a bag of frozen peas on the swollen toes of my
plastered foot...

It's the worst time, when there's bruising etc., you've not got the hang of
balance and technique and serious damage can be done with overload.
I eventually managed to 'walk' 4 - 5 miles (on roads) with a full leg
plaster - but that was 45 years ago!

All the best and I do hope that you're at least semi-mobile soon.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old July 30th 11, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Dominic Sexton

Sorry to hear of your break Gordon.

I bet you'll be glad when you can put the Zimmer frame away!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

--

Dominic Sexton
Old July 30th 11, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Bill Grey[_2_]

"andrew" wrote in message
Bill Grey wrote:

I understand that those "Croc" sandal type shoes give excellent relief
from the pain of Plantar
Fasciitis.

Ah, but which ones, the official maker has a number of choices and they
cost
a lot.

I'm not sure what I need out of a shoe to give relief.

AJH

You could try a Dr Scholl insert which could give relief.

When I had a sore heel my octor instantly said Plantar Fasciitis inspite of
the fact I wasab;e to easily stamp my bad foot - something which is not at
all painless with Platar Fascitiis. To be honest - I simply didn't nelieve
my doctor who offered no help other than to recommen a visit to a podiatrist
who would check my gait, feet etc and then provide a custom made insole for
me at a cost of about 130 in total. I eventually bought an insole from the
chemist and my heel was soon better.

Bill

Old July 31st 11, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Graham Seed[_2_]

"Gordon H" wrote

Placed my foot in a shallow depression on the moors above Hayfield, after
6 miles of an 8 mile walk, and went down like a log.

There was a horrible crack, heard by my mate 2/3 paces ahead.

snip

Just got back from Devon and I can't recommend recuperation down there
because of the ^^^^. Anyway, bad luck - hope you're back out walking as
soon as possible. Actually, I can recommend Hunters Inn on Exmoor and there
is a pretty flat walk into The Valley of Rocks from Lynton (which for some
reason I always thought was 'Valley of THE rocks') which is well worth a
hobble.

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/a.../DSCF3044a.jpg
The often climbed Pinnacle of Death on the North Walk - Lynton.

Graham

Old July 31st 11, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_3_]

In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

The right knee of the plastered leg was the worst pain. I hadn't
realised how heavy the plaster is when I was hopping around at speed.
The zimmer frame makes this easier.
Naproxen fixed it, but I'm more careful now.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old July 31st 11, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_3_]

In message , Dominic Sexton
writes
Sorry to hear of your break Gordon.

I bet you'll be glad when you can put the Zimmer frame away!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks. Daughter is delivering a wheeled office chair today which
will make it easier to scoot around the kitchen when cooking, and to
carry the plated meal into the dining room. You can't hop with a
bowl of spagbol!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old August 3rd 11, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Geoff Berrow

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:24:29 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Dominic Sexton
writes
Sorry to hear of your break Gordon.

I bet you'll be glad when you can put the Zimmer frame away!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks. Daughter is delivering a wheeled office chair today which
will make it easier to scoot around the kitchen when cooking, and to
carry the plated meal into the dining room. You can't hop with a
bowl of spagbol!

My mum has thing like a Zimmer frame on wheels with a tray on the top.
It would be handy if you could borrow one for a while.
--
Geoff Berrow (Put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Old August 3rd 11, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_3_]

In message , Geoff Berrow
writes
On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:24:29 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Dominic Sexton
writes
Sorry to hear of your break Gordon.

I bet you'll be glad when you can put the Zimmer frame away!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks. Daughter is delivering a wheeled office chair today which
will make it easier to scoot around the kitchen when cooking, and to
carry the plated meal into the dining room. You can't hop with a
bowl of spagbol!

My mum has thing like a Zimmer frame on wheels with a tray on the top.
It would be handy if you could borrow one for a while.

I have heard about them, but the chair is doing a good job for me!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply