Camera buying advice (for walking)

Old August 19th 14, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
John Smith[_5_]

Default Camera buying advice (for walking)

Hi,
Advice please...

Existing camera.
I own a aged, trusty Olympus 5050..had it a number of years and always been
pleased with results.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc5050z
...but its on the blink..symptoms are when camera turned on it often (mostly)
continuously sends the zoom out then in again then out and etc and hence
unusable... this started a few weeks ago after a thorough soaking.
Any thoughts on what is likely to have been damaged and how best to put it
right apart from sending it off for expensive repairs.

Future Camera
As I'm about due a replacement to the above Olympus anyway any advice on a
good quality versatile, smallish camera to be used during walking in the
hills.
The two I had in mind a-
Sony HX60
http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/cy...dsc-hx60-hx60v
and
Sony A5000
http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-a...-Camera_review

thanks,
Pete

Old August 21st 14, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
John Smith[_5_]

Thanks Malcolm...looks like that would hit the spot - I'll have a look at
one. Thanks
===================

"Malcolm" wrote in message ...

In article , John Smith
writes
[...]

I don't know those two, but Canon PowerShot G16 was my recent choice and
I'm delighted with it.

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...ot_g16_review/

--
Malcolm

Old August 24th 14, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Shane Badham

"Malcolm" wrote in message ...

[...]

What I like about your choce is the weight of the camera - 356g. My old
PowerShot S45 is about 511g. For long distance walking weight is a
problem. I'm thinking of an iPhone, since I would need a mobile to keep
intouch with home and to have music would be good for me - I would miss
it otherwise!

--
Thanks and regards, Shane.
"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"
Old August 24th 14, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Brad Rogers[_3_]

On Sunday 24 Aug 2014 16:07 in message
,
Shane Badham wrote:

problem. I'm thinking of an iPhone, since I would need a mobile to keep
intouch with home and to have music would be good for me

That can be achieved for a *lot* less than the cost of an iphone.

For me though, I can go out for a day's walking without any music. At home
the stereo is on most of the day playing music.

I do take a mobile on walks with me, just in case. Of course, should I ever
need it, it's quite likely I'll be in an area without any cell coverage.
Murphy's Law. :-(

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old August 25th 14, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Shane Badham

Shane Badham wrote:

problem. I'm thinking of an iPhone, since I would need a mobile to keep
intouch with home and to have music would be good for me

That can be achieved for a *lot* less than the cost of an iphone.

For me though, I can go out for a day's walking without any music. At home
the stereo is on most of the day playing music.

I do take a mobile on walks with me, just in case. Of course, should I ever
need it, it's quite likely I'll be in an area without any cell coverage.
Murphy's Law. :-(

Yes, there are cheaper phones, but I have a iMac, so I want
compatability. Not getting a signal is a problem, so texting and saving
it is one solution. Then send it when you can.

When I say long-distance walks, I'm thinking of 6 weeks away and 500 to
600 miles.

Old August 25th 14, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Brad Rogers[_2_]

On Monday 25 Aug 2014 17:52 in message
,
Shane Badham wrote:

Yes, there are cheaper phones, but I have a iMac, so I want
compatability. Not getting a signal is a problem, so texting and saving

Apple would truly shoot themselves in the foot if the only 'phone that could
be connected to an iMac was one of their own. Of course, it's your choice
and certainly an iphone would be the least painful (from a compatibility
POV) choice.

it is one solution. Then send it when you can.

The sort of use case I was thinking of would be an emergency, with me
requiring medical assistance. With that scenario, being out of cell range
makes the 'phone about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I suppose that,
realistically, a satellite 'phone would be far better suited to the task.
They're still more money than I prefer to pay though, but prices seem to be
dropping. So maybe one day soon. :-)

When I say long-distance walks, I'm thinking of 6 weeks away and 500 to
600 miles.

If only I had the time available to me. :-(

Even though I only work part time, my employer is unlikely to give me my
full holiday entitlement in one big lump.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
Looking for something I can call my own
Chairman Of The Bored - Crass

Old August 28th 14, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
mechanic[_2_]

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:52:56 +0100, Shane Badham wrote:

When I say long-distance walks, I'm thinking of 6 weeks away and
500 to 600 miles.

And recharging batteries?
Old August 28th 14, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Shane Badham

mechanic wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:52:56 +0100, Shane Badham wrote:

When I say long-distance walks, I'm thinking of 6 weeks away and
500 to 600 miles.

And recharging batteries?

No problem, I would buy an iPhone mains charger or eqivalent and I have
already got a multi-plug adapter.

An alternative is to negotiate to plug into a local computer USB socket.
In which case I would chuck the charger, if my pack was over weight
(i.e. 10% of my own weight).

That combination would cover phone, photos and music in one!

I have previously carried chargers for all three and suffered
accordingly. Don't go there, tendonitis is very painfull!

Old August 29th 14, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
mechanic[_2_]

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:00:53 +0100, Shane Badham wrote:

mechanic wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:52:56 +0100, Shane Badham wrote:

When I say long-distance walks, I'm thinking of 6 weeks away and
500 to 600 miles.

And recharging batteries?

No problem, I would buy an iPhone mains charger or eqivalent and
I have already got a multi-plug adapter.

600 miles sounded more like the Appalachian Trail than a few days
outings from a base! Thus I wondered where one would plug in...
Old September 21st 14, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
PAUL {HAMILTON ROONEY}

On Wednesday 20 Aug 2014 04:41, John Smith wrote:
Hi,

snip

I'd go with Canon any day.I have a reasonably priced superzoom (optical
x50) which is superb for landscapes + birds, flowers, insects, portraits
etc.