A Fitness & exercise forum. FitnessBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » FitnessBanter.com forum » Fitness & Exercise » Walking in the UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

20 years ?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old May 6th 15, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Chris Gilbert[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 286
Default 20 years ?

On 01/05/2015 13:25, Pierre Lavaurs wrote:
Le Sat, 11 Apr 2015 22:19:19 +0100, Chris Gilbert a écrit :

Are we there yet ? I think so.

Long live u.r.w, irrespective of the protocol used to contribute to it,

Eee, I feel old. Still climbing hills, mind

Roll call.... ?

Chris

I had not visited this newsgroup (no newsgroup at all indeed) for
probably ten years, and I was curious to see if it was still alive. I
just had the idea today to check who is still alive : a lot of more or
less remembered names I meet, I am alive too !

Not feeling too old (52 years now), and still walking - I have now walked
more than 1900 days and 40000 km. Here are the details as long as they
concern Britain, for whoever might be amused by them.

My walk towards Scotland is now continuous from Madrid to Fort William
(Channel crossing not included :-)), last visit there in 2010. Waiting
for some long spell of good weather to keep walking towards Inverness
(Great Glen Way is the scheduled program) but maybe never... It is
becoming somehow tricky to get quickly so far from Lyon using public
transportation.

My walk towards NW Wales was completed in summer 2013 - I was there when
the royal baby was born. My longer consecutive walk ever, and my most
recent in Britain : 14 days of good weather, of course Wales is always
sunny... (for whoever might be curious to know where I stopped, the day
breaks were the following : 1 - Ebbw Vale to Storey Arms center - went to
sleep in Merthyr Tydfil by bus ; 2 - Storey Arms to Glyntawe ; 3 -
Glyntawe to Llandovery ; 4 - Llandovery to the middle of nowhere -
pitched my tent near the broken telephone booth at SN 762 576 and had my
first serious experience with midges there ; 5 - from this place to
Devil's Bridge ; 6 - from Devil's Bridge to Glaslyn ; 7 - from Glaslyn to
Macchinleth ; 8 - from Macchinleth to Kings Youth Hostel ; 9 - from Kings
Youth Hostel to (the surroundings of) Harlech ; 10 - from (the
surroundings of) Harlech to Beddgelert ; 11 - from Beddgelert to
Llanberis ; 12 - from Llanberis to Mermaid's Inn (slept under my tent
there also) ; 13 - from Mermaid's Inn to Rhosneigr ; 14 - from Rhosneigr
to South stack lightouse - end of the journey). Including the extreme
nights, that is thirteen nights in hotels or B and Bs vs. only two under
my tent, I am getting old in this sense... These 14 days close a
consecutive walk from southern Corsica to Wales, maybe I'll keep walking
it one day in Ireland, this is very unlikely.

Also walked most of the SW Coast path (the north side from Land's End to
Minehead, keeping walking to Exeter and Exmouth, then the SWCP again to
Poole and a bit further to the southern tip of the Isle of Wight, then it
keeps going to central Switzerland, with Slovenia as an aim ; the south
side from Land's End to Start Point - then it goes through Channel
Islands through most of France towards Italian Alps with Liguria as an
aim).

There are still some projects through Britain : one would be to walk
Offa's Dyke southwards, then cross the Bristol Channel at Chepstow and
keep walking to the bill of Portland ; another would begin at the bill of
Portland north-eastwards towards Warwickshire and further, I don't know
exactly where ; a third would be to walk eastern England beginning with
East Anglia coast but I have first to walk through the Netherlands till I
meet Northern Sea, this is for later. But life is short, so I shall
certainly have to leave some of these plans aside...


Nice to see you are still walking Pierre !

Chris
  #22  
Old June 3rd 15, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Terry Pinnell[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default 20 years ?

Chris Gilbert wrote:

Are we there yet ? I think so.

Long live u.r.w, irrespective of the protocol used to contribute
to it,

Eee, I feel old. Still climbing hills, mind

Roll call.... ?

Chris


Not sure when I first posted here but the oldest in my files was
nearly 14 years ago (July 2001), enthusiastically endorsing the use of
GPS!

I'm probably averaging less than two walks per week, (typically 5 - 10
miles), mainly local (East & West Sussex, Kent and Surrey). Now prefer
those that leave a good part of the day for other stuff (like making
family DVDs, the time consuming business of playing with my PC, and a
minimal gym work-out two or three times a week). Plus a couple of
yearly walking holidays with my wife (confined to school holidays as
she still teaches). Most recent were Coast to Coast, Offas Dyke Path,
South Downs Way and our 'last' section of the South West Coastal Path
(Exmouth - Poole). This summer we're walking the 'first' SWCP section
(Minehead - Westward Ho). So the SWCP will feature for another four
holidays, all being well.


--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
  #23  
Old June 3rd 15, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Nick Maclaren[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 71
Default 20 years ?

In article ,
Terry Pinnell wrote:
Chris Gilbert wrote:

Are we there yet ? I think so.

Long live u.r.w, irrespective of the protocol used to contribute
to it,

Eee, I feel old. Still climbing hills, mind

Roll call.... ?


Not sure when I first posted here but the oldest in my files was
nearly 14 years ago (July 2001), enthusiastically endorsing the use of
GPS!


God alone knows! I first used Usenet in 1979 (before the Internet),
but the UK domains weren't set up then, and I wasn't one of the first
on uk.rec.walking.

I am getting a bit stiff, but am retiring this year, and am heading
up to the Highlands with an (ugh) 23+ Kg pack for 6 nights away from
everybody and everything (if I can manage it). I may not be able to
do that for many more years.

And, while my wife gave me a Garmin, I don't find it very useful,
being a map and compass person :-)


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
  #24  
Old July 28th 15, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Katherine
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9
Default 20 years ?

On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 11:27:21 AM UTC-7, Graham Seed wrote:
"Chris Gilbert" wrote in message
o.uk...
Are we there yet ? I think so.

Long live u.r.w, irrespective of the protocol used to contribute
to it,

Eee, I feel old. Still climbing hills, mind

Roll call.... ?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Still here - think I've been around for 15 years - still have my u.r.w cap
somewhere!

Graham


Hello from San Diego. I still have my u.r.w. cap that I think Martin sent me years ago. I don't walk any more --arthritis -- but I visit Chris' site periodically just to take in the views. I have to tell you that my heart warms every time I think of all of you.

Katherine
  #25  
Old July 29th 15, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Gordon H[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 61
Default 20 years ?

On 28/07/2015 19:56, Katherine wrote:
On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 11:27:21 AM UTC-7, Graham Seed wrote:
"Chris Gilbert" wrote in message
o.uk...
Are we there yet ? I think so.

Long live u.r.w, irrespective of the protocol used to contribute
to it,

Eee, I feel old. Still climbing hills, mind

Roll call.... ?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Still here - think I've been around for 15 years - still have my u.r.w cap
somewhere!

Graham


Hello from San Diego. I still have my u.r.w. cap that I think Martin sent me years ago. I don't walk any more --arthritis -- but I visit Chris' site periodically just to take in the views. I have to tell you that my heart warms every time I think of all of you.

Katherine

That's nice! I remember the name, if not the face. ;-)

--
Gordon H

Remove Invalid to reply
  #26  
Old July 30th 15, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Roger Chapman[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default 20 years ?

On 28/07/2015 23:29, Gordon H wrote:
On 28/07/2015 19:56, Katherine wrote:
On Sunday, April 12, 2015 at 11:27:21 AM UTC-7, Graham Seed wrote:
"Chris Gilbert" wrote in message
o.uk...
Are we there yet ? I think so.

Long live u.r.w, irrespective of the protocol used to contribute
to it,

Eee, I feel old. Still climbing hills, mind

Roll call.... ?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Still here - think I've been around for 15 years - still have my
u.r.w cap
somewhere!

Graham


Hello from San Diego. I still have my u.r.w. cap that I think Martin
sent me years ago. I don't walk any more --arthritis -- but I visit
Chris' site periodically just to take in the views. I have to tell
you that my heart warms every time I think of all of you.

Katherine

That's nice! I remember the name, if not the face. ;-)

Snap. ISTR that Paul Saunders had a photo of Katherine. Is his site
still going?

Hi all.

I have just looked in for the first time in several months. Since I have
now joined the ranks of the armchair ramblers I have nothing much to
share but my memories and regular readers of this group from way back
when have long since heard all those those that I can still remember and
quite possibly some that are no longer retrievable.

--
Roger Chapman
  #27  
Old July 30th 15, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Graham Seed[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 174
Default 20 years ?


"Roger Chapman" wrote in message

Snap. ISTR that Paul Saunders had a photo of Katherine. Is his site still
going?


It is, in fact your on the front page!
http://www.uk-rec-walking.co.uk/

Katherine's in there somewhere and there's one of me looking ridiculously
young. It's strange seeing a phantom site with no trace of Paul....

Graham

  #28  
Old July 31st 15, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.walking
Roger Chapman[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default 20 years ?

On 30/07/2015 21:20, Graham Seed wrote:

"Roger Chapman" wrote in message

Snap. ISTR that Paul Saunders had a photo of Katherine. Is his site
still going?


It is, in fact your on the front page!
http://www.uk-rec-walking.co.uk/

Katherine's in there somewhere and there's one of me looking
ridiculously young.


You are not the only one. :-(

It's strange seeing a phantom site with no trace of
Paul....


The last update to the gallery appears to be in 2008. I wonder what he
has been doing since.

--
Roger Chapman
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
60 years old Scott[_5_] Running 51 August 13th 08 03:09 PM
Been gone three years download.com Weights 20 May 27th 07 03:49 AM
75 years old........ Bob116 Weights 7 April 12th 05 02:34 PM
D-Day +60 years Tabers8 Weights 2 June 7th 04 07:51 AM
This guy is 14 years old? Steven C Weights 15 May 22nd 04 07:58 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 FitnessBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.