Can a beginner start with the Westside system?

Old July 29th 03, 09:01 AM
Darryl Licke

Default Can a beginner start with the Westside system?

When I say beginner I mean someone who knows their way around the gym yet
could probably only total 600?

Old July 29th 03, 07:55 PM
Lyle McDonald

Jeff Finlayson wrote:

"Darryl Licke" wrote:

When I say beginner I mean someone who knows their way around the gym yet
could probably only total 600?

Not likely. To pick the right exercises to use is WS training, the lifter
must know his/her weak points. The lifter has to have a decent foundation
of training to get there, imo.

As well, the low rep/maximal efforts required for Westside really aren't
appropriate for the beginner/intermediate lifter. Get a good year of
trianing under your belt using more convenional methods. That should
include at least several months working in a marginally low rep range
(4-6) near the end to condition connective tissue.

Lyle

Old July 29th 03, 08:12 PM
Steve Gallagher

"Darryl Licke" wrote in message ...
When I say beginner I mean someone who knows their way around the gym yet
could probably only total 600?

I seem to recall an interview with Louie back in the day in which he
made it clear that a beginner would NOT be well served by WS methods.
There was also the implied subtext that the WS boys were chemically
assisted (in some cases, proudly so).