Effect of weight on speed

Old March 21st 04, 02:53 PM
Howard

Default Effect of weight on speed

Ive been running for 1.5 months. I run a few times a week almost 4 miles at
just about 9:15 min/mi pace. Im 46 and if I weighed what I should/could Id
lose about 60 lbs.

If I lost that much weight and assuming some improvement in fitness how
fast can I go?
Old March 21st 04, 03:45 PM
Phil M.

Howard wrote in
:

Ive been running for 1.5 months. I run a few times a week almost 4
miles at just about 9:15 min/mi pace. Im 46 and if I weighed what I
should/could Id lose about 60 lbs.

If I lost that much weight and assuming some improvement in fitness
how fast can I go?

There was a lot of discussion on this a while ago on this newsgroup. Go to
http://groups.google.com/ and enter "Effect of weight on speed". Or go
he http://tinyurl.com/2bbgm

Phil

--
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,
Old March 21st 04, 04:16 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , Howard wrote:
Ive been running for 1.5 months. I run a few times a week almost 4 miles at
just about 9:15 min/mi pace. Im 46 and if I weighed what I should/could Id
lose about 60 lbs.

If I lost that much weight and assuming some improvement in fitness how
fast can I go?

Much faster. It's hard to say exactly, but I think you'd be reasonably fast,
probably under 7 minutes a mile (and possibly faster than that) which is a
respectable time for your age.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/
Old March 21st 04, 07:07 PM
Josh Steinberg

Howard wrote:

Ive been running for 1.5 months. I run a few times a week almost 4 miles at
just about 9:15 min/mi pace. Im 46 and if I weighed what I should/could Id
lose about 60 lbs.

If I lost that much weight and assuming some improvement in fitness how
fast can I go?

Every now and then I have seen a formula for such things like

- how speed varies with weight,
- how calories burned varies with weight and distance,

and so forth. Haven't seen 'em for a while. Maybe someone here will repost.
-- Josh

Old March 21st 04, 07:21 PM
Phil M.

"Phil M." wrote in
:

Howard wrote in
:

Ive been running for 1.5 months. I run a few times a week almost 4
miles at just about 9:15 min/mi pace. Im 46 and if I weighed what I
should/could Id lose about 60 lbs.

If I lost that much weight and assuming some improvement in fitness
how fast can I go?

There was a lot of discussion on this a while ago on this newsgroup.
Go to http://groups.google.com/ and enter "Effect of weight on speed".
Or go he http://tinyurl.com/2bbgm

Phil

Here's some more information - http://www.vo2max.com.fr/parole/poids1.htm

This site is in french. However, there are some graphs on the effects of
losing a kilogram of body weight on your marathon, half-marathon or 10K
race performance

Phil M.

--
"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
-Walter Bagehot
Old March 22nd 04, 04:02 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , Josh Steinberg wrote:

Ive been running for 1.5 months. I run a few times a week almost 4 miles at
just about 9:15 min/mi pace. Im 46 and if I weighed what I should/could Id
lose about 60 lbs.

If I lost that much weight and assuming some improvement in fitness how
fast can I go?

Every now and then I have seen a formula for such things like

- how speed varies with weight,
- how calories burned varies with weight and distance,

and so forth. Haven't seen 'em for a while. Maybe someone here will repost.

At the risk of causing further controversy, the exercise physiology community for
the most part assume that the energy cost of running is linear as a function of
bodyweight, and most models also assume that energy cost is directly proportional
to speed. So for those who are interested in a rough rule of thumb for predicting
gains that follow weight loss, as opposed to physics purists, the linear
relationship between weight and time is "good enough". (not only that, but I've
personally verified it over a 40lb weight loss)

Cheers,
Old March 23rd 04, 04:43 PM
Leo

Donovan Rebbechi wrote in message ...

At the risk of causing further controversy, the exercise physiology community for
the most part assume that the energy cost of running is linear as a function of
bodyweight, and most models also assume that energy cost is directly proportional
to speed. So for those who are interested in a rough rule of thumb for predicting
gains that follow weight loss, as opposed to physics purists, the linear
relationship between weight and time is "good enough". (not only that, but I've
personally verified it over a 40lb weight loss)

Lurker and occasional runner here. Two points:

1) I use a very very simple formula for running energy cost - simple
for metric system: Energy cost (kcal) = mass (kg) * distance (km). Ex.
70 kg x 10 km = 700 kcal. It doesn't apply for uphill/downhill or
trails, otherwise it should work quite well for an average runner.

2) Where you lose weight is important. Since you are not
accelerating/decelerating your waist as much as your legs while
running, losing fat there wouldn't improve your speed as much as
predicted by the linear relationship. Probably losing let's say 10 %
body weight would increase your speed by 5-8 % at the same fitness
level (I don't remember the numbers I've read).

Leo
Old March 23rd 04, 05:48 PM
Donovan Rebbechi

In article , Leo wrote:

Lurker and occasional runner here. Two points:

1) I use a very very simple formula for running energy cost - simple
for metric system: Energy cost (kcal) = mass (kg) * distance (km). Ex.
70 kg x 10 km = 700 kcal. It doesn't apply for uphill/downhill or
trails, otherwise it should work quite well for an average runner.

2) Where you lose weight is important. Since you are not
accelerating/decelerating your waist as much as your legs while
running, losing fat there wouldn't improve your speed as much as
predicted by the linear relationship. Probably losing let's say 10 %
body weight would increase your speed by 5-8 % at the same fitness
level (I don't remember the numbers I've read).

It's worth observing that you can actually do *worse* than a linear prediction
if weight is placed in the wrong area, so the linear model is *not* a worst case
upper bound. Ankle and hand weights have been shown to reduce running economy,
which means that they increase energy cost to a greater degree (much greater
actually) than a proportional linear relationship between weight and energy
cost would predict.

Cheers,
Old March 24th 04, 08:57 AM
macelroy

The effect of weight on speed is devastating. Many of my runners take
off during the Winter and come back as much as 30 pounds heavier. With
that extra weight they can't run worth a damn. I'm not even letting
them run. I tell they need to diet and hike and lose most of the
weight first because I strongly believe it is dangerous for them to
even run like that. I see them jogging a 7 minute per mile pace for
one mile and breathing harder then when they were running a 5 minute
mile pace on a 10 mile run when they were lighter.

I just had a discussion with someone on Monday who thinks that Brian
Maxwell was somewhat overweight. If he was 30 pounds or more
overweight and trying to run like he used to then I could see how
someone could kill themselves doing so.

Old March 25th 04, 01:59 AM
Sam

They really put on 30 pounds over winter? how long is winter?

You keep spouting off about Maxwell being 30 pounds overweight. Yeah, he
may weigh 30 lbs more than when he raced, but that does not make him
overweight. I am 20+ pounds over my best racing weight, but far from being
overweight.

om...

In article , Leo wrote:

[...]

Life Expectancy Of Large People? DeWayne Weights 76 March 31st 04 03:08 PM
Weight gain side effect of anti-psychotics elzinator Weights 8 March 1st 04 05:51 PM
Help! 800cal/day = good diet or ED? "Eat less, do more" not working? VLCD trap? vlcd_hell Weights 126 February 7th 04 12:21 AM
Low carb diets Weights 194 January 8th 04 11:15 PM
Volleyball workout advice The Fonz Weights 80 December 29th 03 03:59 AM