Follow up to OS map 5m contours

Old May 17th 09, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.walking
Mike Mason

Default Follow up to OS map 5m contours

I did email OS and this is the reply

Dear Mike

Thank you for your e-mail dated 7th May regarding contour intervals on
our 1:25 000 scale maps.

The standard contour interval on our OS Explorer maps is 5 metres, but
in mountain and moorland areas, this is often extended to a 10 metre
interval.

There is not a specific set angle for when contour lines are omitted -
it is really just down to space. In areas of close contouring the
draughtsman tries to keep the accentuated contours (50m, 100m, 150m,
200m, etc) and then some or all of the intermediate contours are omitted
or broken depending on the space available.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Kind regards

Jane Chiplin
Customer Service Advisor
Customer Service Centre, Ordnance Survey
C454, Romsey Road, SOUTHAMPTON, United Kingdom, SO16 4GU
Phone: 08456 05 05 05 | Fax: +44 (0) 23 8079 2615

I checked my 1:25,000 maps. 5m contours are at a premium then noticed my
sample of maps is truly biased. Each one covers a mountain area none of this
flat land stuff.

Mike